Lucky escape, lesson learnt

Matters of general interest
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Lucky escape, lesson learnt

Postby Bundy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:32 am

Morning guys,

I must confess something here in the hope that it will prohibit someone else making a similar mistake. :oops:

On the 28th I took up two friends from Scotland up for a flight. My ML wingman Klapperknop joined me for the first flip to Delmas, which despite some low level patches of cloud was uneventful. I duly landed back at FABA to collect the 2nd of the PAX and decided to fly North due to the prevailing cloud out east.

We spent a nice bit of time flying between FABA and KittyHawk, playing amongst the isolated drifting cloud and eventually after about 30 min routed back to FABA via the tower and what is known as the Microland "GF". The GF is a bunch of aricultural land on the western side of the R50 with a crop spraying dirt strip in the NE corner. We flew back and forth for a while here doing various manoevers to show Ernie the characteristics and basic handling capabilities of the trike.

I was at 5800ft (roughly 500ft) off the ground flyng in a southerly direction away from the threshold of the dirt runway (below me at the time) when Ernie asked as many PAX do "What happens if the engine stops?"

I glanced down at the threshold and said "Let me show you..."

It is here that I started to break my own rules! I throttled back to idle and started manoevering for a sim forced landing on the dirt runway. It was not a good first turn. I would have to do an effective 270 degree turn to make my target. I had enough height but my execution was not good. I approached the runway very steep and banking to the right to bring her "in line"...I eventually did this but had to flare immediately. It felt like I had no lift, the trike continued downwards towards the runway at I knew I was in trouble! I floored the pedal and made it up and out with a bump on the back wheels. (**)

What I had just displayed was very bad airmanship...I had tried to show my PAX how to land the plane but an impulsive decision nearly ended very badly.
DO NOT do anything impulsive when you are carrying a passenger. I have always tried my best to fly safely, but this day I broke my own code and for that I apologise. All it takes is one bad decision to set the impending disaster into motion.

Impulsive decision....bad approach....too committed to an unnecessary landing...too late on a go around....

I'm still very pissed off with myself. Stupid, stupid, stupid. :evil:

It will not happen again.

I (luckily) learnt a very valuable lesson.

Fly safe guys.
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Lucky escape, lesson learnt

Postby Tailspin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:48 am

Bundy

Don't beat yourself up about it brother.
These things happen and yes as long as you have learned you should be fine. Have done a similar and also quickly fixed my attitude.

Thanks for the post. Helps keeping the nerves tuned and awake.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Alkemac
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Alkemac » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:16 am

Notwithstanding that this was a simulated event, it also shows you how you and your aircraft would have typically reacted and what the outcome would have been...
ZU-DODO
Triker
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Triker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:19 am

Hi bundy very true what you have underlined there. Simulate means it is not forced upon oneself with unexpected timing. So a pilot can call the timing to execute. Engines outs in real life dont ask if you are ready now.
Glad that all turned out ok.
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks for sharing! I'm terrible at making impulsive decisions (that's how I got into flying :lol: )
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
KlapperKnop
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby KlapperKnop » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:28 am

Bundy wrote: I was at 5800ft (roughly 500ft) off the ground flyng in a southerly direction away from the threshold of the dirt runway (below me at the time) when Ernie asked as many PAX do "What happens if the engine stops?"
Alan, I do not see this as a problem. What if the engine did in fact stalled? You had to do then a forced landing. Engine failures are amongst the practises which we do not do that often and I do believe we need to practise it so that reaction becomes instinctive.

Just remember we can not predict an engine failure, we need to be prepared in any attitude of flight .... I think the lesson learnt is to practise engine failures to the point where we so comfortable with it.

My fear is always flying into a head wind or bad turbulence; I ask my self constantly, "what is the engine fails?"
ZU-DJE
hermand
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby hermand » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi Bundy,

Nothing really prepares you for when the fan stops rotating.

Pull bar for speed (stored altitude), level out, check mags, try to start engine - no luck turn and land on your previously identified alternative, preferably upwind. O ja - "pan pan pan" etc.

What unnerves me is the hill between the Highway and Kittyhawk or something like the valley of a 1000 hills Natal, good chance the plane will get back to the hanger on a trailer.

The truth is that you have a few seconds to decide what you are going to do. Be prepared.

Some memorable saying from really OLD pilots:

1 If you have 1 engine, fly within gliding distance from alternative to alternative.
2. Altitude is your friend!!!
3. Want to fly high, get a plane. Want to fly low, buy a Harley.
4. PLAN THE FLIGHT AND FLY THE PLAN!
5. As for a PAX, if she is pretty take her up but stay in the circuit.
6. If someone asks you for a flip, take them - don’t ever put pressure on a PAX to fly!!!
7. The only thing better than good airmanship is good luck.

This happens to all of us at some point - glad everything turned out ok.

Herman
nothing new to add.......
ZS-NEL
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby ZS-NEL » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:21 pm

KlapperKnop wrote:
Bundy wrote: I was at 5800ft (roughly 500ft) off the ground flyng in a southerly direction away from the threshold of the dirt runway (below me at the time) when Ernie asked as many PAX do "What happens if the engine stops?"
Alan, I do not see this as a problem. What if the engine did in fact stalled? You had to do then a forced landing. Engine failures are amongst the practises which we do not do that often and I do believe we need to practise it so that reaction becomes instinctive.

Just remember we can not predict an engine failure, we need to be prepared in any attitude of flight .... I think the lesson learnt is to practise engine failures to the point where we so comfortable with it.

My fear is always flying into a head wind or bad turbulence; I ask my self constantly, "what is the engine fails?"
Agree with you 100% Fazel!! Alan, if and when the engine stops it won't ask where, what and how....keep practicing those "Impulsive decision....bad approach....too committed to an unnecessary landing...too late on a go around....

I'm still very pissed off with myself" moments until you NOT pissed off with yourself anymore (^^)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:04 am

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. :)

I think what really uspet me was the fact that I knew before I had even "rounded out" I had messed up this attempt. I still tried to force the landing though and this put us both in danger....that is unacceptable to me, and I'm just glad I had the power to make it out. I would have crashed for sure in a real situation. :(

Having had a look at the video that Ernie shot of the sequence later on, I know why I messed up the approach....something I need to work on urgently :roll:

I acknowelege the need to practice this more often, and I agree that we dont do so nearly enough. Although I do practice solo overhead the airfield every now and then, I tried to think when last I did a sim forced landing "dual" away from the airfield.... and it was more than 8 months ago. ## Not good enough....

Perhaps we Microland boys can come up with some sort of Code word so we can surprise ourselves with a bit of practice when we are flying around together? The chances of an engine failure overhead the airfield are slim...it will nearly always happen away from a runway...I need to practice this much more often if I want to make sure the "instincts" are there when I need them... :wink:
pit bull
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby pit bull » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:14 am

DAG BUNDY,
EK STEM SAAM MET DIE MANE, OEFEN N ''FORCED'' LANDING. OP MY EERSTE'' SOLO '' (die 17de november 2012 ) HET EK MY IN N ANDR BLOEDGROEP IN GESKRIK!!!!
MY INSTRUKTEUR OP THABAZIMBI CAREL OLIVIER EN EK HET 4 CIRCUIT GEVLIEG DIE OGGEND DIT WAS VOOR 7UUR
TOE STUUR HY MY SOLO
EK WAS SO OPGEWONDE !!! EN BLY!!!! (julle weet hoe jy voel as jy solo gaan ) DIT WAS PERFEKTE WEER, SO TE SE GEEN WIND. EK HET TERUG GEDRAAI NA AANLOOP BAAN /25 RADIO CALL GEDOEN EN OPGESTYG, MY BANTAM HET SO LEKKER GEKLIM EK WAS( IN die wolke van blydskap ) FLAPS AF GEHAAL, X-WIND GEDRAAI, EN DOWN WIND GEDRAAI.
EK WAS AMPER OP CIRCUIT-HIGHT (fati is 3200ft so circuit hight 3700ft ) ALES WAS OK .........................................................................................
TOE VOEL EK N MOERSE SLAG/ EN SIEN N VREEMDE VOORWERP DEUR DIE PROPKOM.
EN MY BANTAM BEGIN TE SKUD DAT EK VIR N PAAR SEKONDES NIE WEET WAT AANGAAN NIE...... (ek kan nie beskryf hoe ek daai +- 2sekondes gevoel het nie!!!!) DIE BANTAM HET SO GESKUD EN GERUK DAT EK GEEN KONTROLE OOR DIE VLIEGTUIG GEHAD HET NIE!!!! ( '''BIRD -STRIKE"")
EK HET (carel se stem gehoor, wat nie!!!! langs my was nie ) EK HET DIE MAGS , EN MASTER AF GESIT......... TOE IS DIE VERSKRUKLIKKE RUK WEG EN EK VOEL TOE WEER IN BEHEER VAN DIE VLIEGTUIG DAAR HET EK RERTIG KALM GEVOEL (carel praat met my........ pieter kry die neus 40kt, en vlieg die bantam)
EK KON NIE DIE AANLOOP BAAN MAAK NIE, EK WAS NOG TE LAAG. ( ek het op gekyk na my jabi motor........ groot was my verbasing..... daar was geen prop!!! )
DAAR WAS N PAD.................( DANK GOD) TOE SIEN EK N WIT INSULATOR WAT OP DIE ESKOM PAAL IS, TOE EERS SIEN EK DIE KRAG LYN, .............. DIE PAD IS UIT EK KAN NIE DAAR LAND NIE!! AL WAT OOR BLY IS dIE BOS ONDER MY, EK HET GEDOEN WAT MY INSTRUKTEUR MY GELEER HET, EK HET N FORCED/LANDING GEDOEN. BANTAM IS AF GESKRYF, EK HET UIT GEKLIM MET SNYE AAN MY L HAND, EN N STYWE RUG!!!! (2 dae later het ek uitgevind my stywe rug is eintlik n gebreekte rib!!!)
BUNDY DIE ''MORAL OF THE STORT'' ONS MOET LUISTER VIR ONS INSTRUKTEURS!!!!
DIT GEBEUR IN N OOGWINK
OEFEN DIT MY MAAT, HOOPLIK HET NIEMAND DIT NODIG NIE (maar as dit gebeur ........ skop die opleiding in!!!!!!!)
al my dank gaan aan ""CAREL"" DIE BESTE INSTRUKTEUR IN DIE WERELD!!!!!!!!!!! JA EK GLO REGTIG HY IS!!!!!!!!!!
NB' EK KRY MY BAMTAM OOR 10DAE!!!!!!!!!! DAN KAN EK WEER VLIEG!!!!! KAN NIE WAG NIE
VEILIG VLIEG
PIT BULL ## (** (**)
ZU- EFB
Blessed By THE BEST.
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi Alan,

'Very glad you pulled yourself out of this situation.

If I understand Alan's post correctly he is saying that his decision to do an impulsive simulated forced landing with a PAX was the wrong thing to have done and that it very nearly went pear-shaped, so his guidance to the forum is not do do this. Am I right?

Then, we have others posting, saying that this was not that bad a situation and that we should continue to practice simulated forced landings, at times with a PAX. Again, I assume that I am correct in my interpretation of these comments.

IMHO, Alan is 100% correct is his judgement and guidance and I thank you Alan. (^^)

I would NEVER practice a simulated forced landing with a PAX, besides possibly an instructor! I practice simulated forced landings for a solid hour once a month, NEVER WITH A PAX! ## ##

The difference in glide slope and altitude loss in turns is not significant enough to risk putting a (unsuspecting?) PAX's life a risk for. If you really want to simulate the forced landing with a PAX on board then load up a couple of 50kg cement bags! :wink:

Really guys, practicing high-risk maneuvers with a PAX is a no-no! ## ##

Again, simply IMHO . . . . :wink:

Thanks again for sharing this Alan! I can understand how easy it is to slip into this situation but we need lessons like yours to help guard against it!!
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Bateleur
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Bateleur » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi Al,

Did your pax know it was a close call, or did you just go on as if nothing had happened :lol: Did he wet himself?? :lol:

Dis hoe mens leer chom, pleased it did not end up badly.

I want to go up with Mervin in next week for some extra forced landings. There are definite techniques to forced landings and I need to brush up on those menovers and practice them.

Tomorrow mornings weather looks ok. I think I will try and get a flip in.
Stef Oosthuizen
Step it up a notch!!
ZU DBP
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:51 pm

John, your post sums up my thoughts in a nutshell. :)

Never intentionally put your PAX at risk.... It is this basic "rule" that I broke.

The one positive I take out of it is that it highlighted the need to practice my forced lobs more often...
BATELEUR wrote:Hi Al,

Did your pax know it was a close call, or did you just go on as if nothing had happened :lol: Did he wet himself?? :lol:
No, I told him immediately that that was a piss poor effort. :oops: He knew I was a bit rattled when I asked him to move his legs so I could check the rear suspention...and make sure I still had two rear wheels! (**)

I checked the plane thoughroughly chom... No damage luckily....The Beautiful Dawn is a tough and forgiving bird. (^^)

Will have to give her extra pampering for the next few weeks. :lol:
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:22 am

Hi Alan and others interested in 'perfecting' simulated engine-outs and forced landings,

(I say 'perfecting' as they will never be perfect due to the constantly variable conditions which get thrown at you each time you attempt one . . . . . BUT practicing completely impromptu engine-outs for an hour each month can sharpen the way you respond enormously!)

In practicing simulated engine-outs and forced landings I wanted to highlight the importance of correctly 'managing' the base leg!

Once your landing location has been identified (hopefully into wind and clear of cables) your base leg becomes ALL important in managing your approach to the touch-down point chosen.

By angling the base leg slightly to your 'final' approach (either acute or obtuse angle, as against 90 degrees) you can vary your altitude BEFORE turning onto final. Being able to quickly judge wind conditions (head/tail/quartering) also becomes important as wind direction can significantly affect your glide slope! ##

Once on final it is too late to start 'slipping' to lose altitude and clearly being under your glide slope has similar consequences.

If your landing happens to be straight ahead (unlikely, but possible), create two opposing 'angled base legs' before lining up for final approach. These two legs and the extent to which they are off-line with your final approach, combined with the turns, will allow you to lose the altitude needed to get you spot on your touch down point.

(^^)
Last edited by John.com on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:55 am

Thanks John,

I will be spending a lot of time on these till I get it right...every time. :wink:

Departing from the PAX for a moment, I made my mistake on my first turn. I was abeam the threshhold flying away from it at about 20 degrees. The wind was 8 knts from my left and slightly from behind (straight crosswind on the runway). I turned right (downwind) and my turn was too shallow, I got "blown" way off course and instead of ending up on a final approach, I ended up approaching at 45 degrees into the wind...

I glided downwards till I could make the turn but had lost a lot of height by this time, I initiated a steep final turn to my left and I pushed the bar forward to bring the nose around. The result was a loss of airspeed and I was right on the stall (remember two up) as I levelled the wing to the ground. This is why I had no lift. (**)

Anyway...you live, you learn. I will also be dedicating at least an hour a month to practicing these drills from now on. Especially away from the Circuit... ##

Thanks for all the advice chaps, the more I fly, the more I realise how much I still have to learn. (^^)

In addition...I would like to mention the amazing performance of an NC propeller. Instant conversion of engine RPM to Thrust. Saved my bacon for sure. 8) 582 with an NC prop is a really potent combination. Great product Mr Coutts. (^^)