Licence Validation for Foreign Visitors ;-)

Matters of general interest
WOBBLY
Pre flight checks done

Licence Validation for Foreign Visitors ;-)

Postby WOBBLY » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:10 pm

I gather that there are 4 Category ratings namely LSA, CCM, WCM and GYR for Gyrocopters in Africa ? I understand LSA & GYR but would I be right to assume CCM is 3 Axis microlight ? & WCM is Flexwing microlight ?
Seeing as I am a 'dye in the wool' 3 Axis Pilot I can only fathom out that CCM = Correctly Configured Microlight & WCM = Wrongly Configured Microlight ##
I am informed that the official name of your SA Microlight Licence is the NPL National Pilots Licence and that it is only allowed to be used inside the borders of SA ? In the UK we have a Microlight Licence called the NPPL which basically emulates your NPL except by a quirk of luck we are allowed to venture into our international neighbouring countries by requesting PPR.
So what exactly is the difference between your NPL & the Recreational Pilots Licence ?
How exactly do you get permission to use your NPL outside of your SA borders ?

Under our SWAT Aerial Tracking Project we will more than likely have some Pilots from Countries that would have National Pilots Licences who would need to get their licences validated ( all EU Microlight / Ultralight Licences are sub ICAO ), am I right to assume ICAO Compliant Pilots Licences do not require a Validation as they are Worldwide recognised under ICAO regulations :wink:
I hold ICAO Compliant Pilots Licences and whilst I believe ICAO covers all, I have no objection to having to validate my ICAO Compliant Pilots Licences to meet the SA Regulations.

Now whilst on Validation issues I have a question about temporary import of an EU registered Microlight We may be bringing a couple of microlights from within the EU for use on our SWAT Aerial Tracking Project, what restrictions if any would we suffer if we wanted to operate them on the registration carried from the EU Country of registration ?
Is it like the UK regulation of being allowed 28 days as a 'visiting aircraft' or are your regulations more flexible ?

Sorry for asking a lot in one message but I am responsible for Pilot Coordination and also partially responsible for Aircraft compliance and want to be 101% legal as we will have a duty of care towards our Volunteers & sponsors.

Wobbly (^^)
DISCLAIMER : The opinions and views expressed throughout my post are the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions or views of ZAPAS or of their clients or law firms or the opinions or views of any other individual.
hermand
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: Licence Validation for Foreign Visitors ;-)

Postby hermand » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:25 am

Hi Wobbly,

I am sure that most your questions will be addressed on the RAASA web site. http://www.raasa.co.za

You can download Part 62 NPL "List of regulations" on this link. http://www.raasa.co.za/pdf/Part%2062%20 ... 202011.pdf

RAASA has very competent and friendly personnel and I am sure they will be able to help you with your requirement.

Their offices opens on the 3rd of January 2013.

If you need any further assistance, I will do my best to help.

Herman.
nothing new to add.......
WOBBLY
Pre flight checks done

Postby WOBBLY » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:43 pm

Neil de Lange from RAASA has kindly offered to send us Hard copies of all the documentation that we will need so we can get all our pilots validated before they get to SA.

Hopefully I can get the same assistance from CAAZ & ZMAA as we are looking like we will be operating in Zimbabwe as well :shock:
DISCLAIMER : The opinions and views expressed throughout my post are the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions or views of ZAPAS or of their clients or law firms or the opinions or views of any other individual.
hermand

Postby hermand » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Wobbly,
There will however be one more obstacle to negotiate. :(
When flying to a neighboring country, it is mandatory to have an ELT fitted to ANY aircraft.
It might be possible to get away with a PLT, this will be preferable as it is much cheaper, but the committee has not completed its findings and I understand that the person in charge has resigned from ATNS.
There has been a few unfortunate accidents cross border and the neighboring CAA equivalent organizations are rather sticky on this point.
Microlights are exempt from carrying ELT’s under certain conditions except when outside the borders of SA
I will see if I can find out what the latest position is.
CAR

Emergency locator transmitters (ELT)
91.04.26 (1) No owner or operator of an aircraft shall operate an aircraft unless the aircraft is equipped with one or more approved emergency locator transmitters (ELTs) as described in SA-CATS Part 91, where the aircraft is to be operated on;
a) a flight that shall operate outside of the South African FIRs
b) an extended flight over water
nothing new to add.......
WOBBLY
Pre flight checks done

Postby WOBBLY » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:19 pm

We will be PLB & ELT equipped on all micro's......... I may even include a Colt 45 in my survival bag :twisted:
hermand wrote:Hi Wobbly,
There will however be one more obstacle to negotiate. :(
When flying to a neighboring country, it is mandatory to have an ELT fitted to ANY aircraft.
It might be possible to get away with a PLT, this will be preferable as it is much cheaper, but the committee has not completed its findings and I understand that the person in charge has resigned from ATNS.
There has been a few unfortunate accidents cross border and the neighboring CAA equivalent organizations are rather sticky on this point.
Microlights are exempt from carrying ELT’s under certain conditions except when outside the borders of SA
I will see if I can find out what the latest position is.
CAR

Emergency locator transmitters (ELT)
91.04.26 (1) No owner or operator of an aircraft shall operate an aircraft unless the aircraft is equipped with one or more approved emergency locator transmitters (ELTs) as described in SA-CATS Part 91, where the aircraft is to be operated on;
a) a flight that shall operate outside of the South African FIRs
b) an extended flight over water