Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Is a VSI of any real use?

Postby Loco » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi guys

I'm looking for some space on my T-Pod and thought my VSI is of no use :roll:

I mean I can see on my ALT that I'm going up/down surely!? :lol:

Do you think a VSI is of any real use to us ML pilots?

Thanks
Ant
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Is a VSI of any real use?

Postby D2O » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:14 pm

It helps a lot to keep you level.
Also helpful when you hit thermals to know your rate of ascent / descent. Imagine being at 1000ft agl and you suddenly hit a downdraft that drops you at a rate of 200ft/min.
Without the VSI, you would never know you have 5 minutes before you hit the deck (**)
Plane-less
Dobbs
Survived second engine out

Postby Dobbs » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:35 pm

If you have one it and will not cost much to install, ok for useless information vhpy However, I would not spend any money putting one in my trike, after 600 hr of trike flying, I have never had the need for that information.
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:58 pm

D2O wrote:It helps a lot to keep you level.
Also helpful when you hit thermals to know your rate of ascent / descent. Imagine being at 1000ft agl and you suddenly hit a downdraft that drops you at a rate of 200ft/min.
Without the VSI, you would never know you have 5 minutes before you hit the deck (**)
Hmmm I can see your point but I must admit in my very 'nat agter die ore' 70 odd hours of flying I've barely looked at the VSI, maybe it will come with time?
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Dobbs wrote:If you have one it and will not cost much to install, ok for useless information vhpy However, I would not spend any money putting one in my trike, after 600 hr of trike flying, I have never had the need for that information.
Thanks my thoughts exactly (^^)
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:44 am

anthonyhugo wrote:Hi guys

I'm looking for some space on my T-Pod
Chuck it away and get a banana pod! ## :) :lol:
wwws.JPG
Much more space even if you have the steam guages... (!!)

I stand to be corrected...but is a VSI not one of the essential instruments according to CATS? Not sure....

Other than that, I do agree with Dobbs, I really dont pay much attention to the VSI reading either. :) ^
Bugwar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Bugwar » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:22 am

Only times I look at the VSI is when things are NOT going well ie being tossed around by thermals or just after take-off on a wet/ hot day on a short field with an obstacle at the end
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:26 am

I use my VSI many times on every flight, mainly for checking whether I am maintaining level flight! :wink:
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Dobbs

Postby Dobbs » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:45 am

Hi Bugwar, interesting comment about using it for a marginal take off with obstacles - what do you do with that information? Under those circumstances I would expect a short field take off technique to be used, and once airborn, best rate of climb - no VSI is going to change the outcome.

In thermic conditions, yes the VSI will show you going up and down, but if you try and control your altitude with a VSI, you will end up chasing your tail with unecessary control inputs - your altimeter, which is a mandatory intrument (Bundy - a VSI is not) is sufficient to maintain your correct altitude if you have to. Remenmber that usually an updraft is followed by a downdraft, or vice versa, so where possible just go with the flow, and often the nett effect is constant altitude.

Sorry if I am sounding like a know it all, but in my short time of instructing, I have found that unless a student is shown the benefits of "going with the flow", they instictively chase the VSI if equipped, or altimeter, ending up not enjoying the flight due to all the control inputs.

There was however one instance where the VSI would have been of benefit to me - I wanted to find the service ceiling of my 503 Windlass, so off I went climbing at full throttle, and was very dissapointed to find that I could get no higher than 7500'. After getting down, I did a compression check, cleaned the airfilters, changed the plugs etc, and the following week end tried again, this time I had my GPS with me, and lo and behold, once again the altimeter would not go above 7500, however, the altimeter on the GPS kept on climbing, so clearly there was a fault with the altimeter, and a working VSI would have confirmes the faulty altimeter.
Barberton Sparkie
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Barberton Sparkie » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:54 pm

I have a VSI on my 503 single ignition Windlass and use it alot. I constantly check all instruments but found out after the first flight in my new 582 Raptor about 4 weeks ago, I really miss a VSI in my Raptor. Just gives peace of mind when flying in valleys like Barberton. I am already in search of a VSI for my Raptor. I surpose it is how you are used to flying, with one or without. I must have one in my Raptor.
Safe flying.

Deon
The electrical farmer that flies.
ZU-DEX
ZS-WOE
ZU-CCR
ZU-EKP
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Dobbs wrote:Bundy - a VSI is not
(^^) Thanks Dobbs.
Tony4
Signed up at flight school

Postby Tony4 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:45 pm

VSI stands for "Very Stupid Instructor"
For goodness sake guys, this is a simple aircraft, not rated for IFR, therefore no instruments needed for flight. Admittedly, an ASI is a huge asset on approach, but you should not be in danger without it. If you feel unsafe, ask your instructor to review emergency procedures with you.

If you are bombing along and you start climbing or descending at an alarming rate, [as per previous post], then you had better have felt it long before you start looking at gauges! ## ## Gentle deviations in altitude should be picked up on your alti. As for slamming into the dirt, try flying VFR, Very Fast Reactions.
If you slam into the grit on a vfr flight, then there was nothing you could have done about it anyway, seeing as you were not watching the ground! [and if you were, then I am sure you would have already taken full power and planned an exit.] :shock:

Quessie: if ALL your instruments went south, would you make it home safely? [or at least to the nearest landing?] :?: :?:
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:35 am

Tony4 wrote:VSI stands for "Very Stupid Instructor"
For goodness sake guys, this is a simple aircraft, not rated for IFR, therefore no instruments needed for flight. Admittedly, an ASI is a huge asset on approach, but you should not be in danger without it. If you feel unsafe, ask your instructor to review emergency procedures with you.

If you are bombing along and you start climbing or descending at an alarming rate, [as per previous post], then you had better have felt it long before you start looking at gauges! ## ## Gentle deviations in altitude should be picked up on your alti. As for slamming into the dirt, try flying VFR, Very Fast Reactions.
If you slam into the grit on a vfr flight, then there was nothing you could have done about it anyway, seeing as you were not watching the ground! [and if you were, then I am sure you would have already taken full power and planned an exit.] :shock:

Quessie: if ALL your instruments went south, would you make it home safely? [or at least to the nearest landing?] :?: :?:
Agreed! You should be able to fly a trike completely comfortably and confidently on NO instruments!!

However, for those with asperations beyond trike flying and VFR there is nothing wrong with building a 'calibration' between flying and instruments!!

Cheers, John.com
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
hermand
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby hermand » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:47 am

A VSI can be very handy when flying competition.
Some endurance tasks demand you stay up as long as is possible on a set amount of fuel.
This means he who thermals best wins.
Thermaling is a neglected part of Microlighting - thermals are the bumps on a hot day we try to avoid. If done properly, Thermaling can be exhilarating and rewarding.
A VSI or “verio” can give an early warning of an approaching thermal and allow you to turn with it quickly and stay in it longer.
Paraglider and Hang Glider pilots have a better “feel” for a thermal, but a trike is heavier and faster. In a Trike we tend to miss thermals because of out greater speed and resulting delayed pilot response.
A VSI is really the only way to tell if you are still in the thermal or on the edge of it.
There are a lot of VSI devices on the market with both audio indicators and visual displays. In my experience the audio indicators is preferred as you need to fly when Thermaling
For the Smart Phone boffs, there are several apps available.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eter&hl=en

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xfrQVIkLVg

http://www.appszoom.com/android_applications/variometer
nothing new to add.......
Johnorr
First solo

Postby Johnorr » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 am

The only instruments I need on my Quicksilver is EHT just because I cannot reach the exhaust to feel the temperature.
All the rest I can feel and judge by my own experience,rate of climb or decent is not important and altitude you must be high enough.
I would say if you are a true pilot you must be one with your machine and did not need instruments to be that.