New Pinedene route

Matters of general interest
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

New Pinedene route

Postby Big-D » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Decided to visit Bronkies dam from Rietfontein this morning for the first time in a long while. Routed overhead Diepsloot and called Grand Central asking for routing via Pinedene as I have done numerous times before. The ATC asked whether I am familiar with the new pinedene route! Which I was not. The very friendly lady-ATC then tried to describe to me which route to follow which I was uncomfortable with as I do not know the landmarks she described so I ended up thanking her for the info but deciding not to enter the corridor.

Can anyone please describe the new Pinedene corridor for future reference?

Cheers

D
Big D
Beefmaster
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Re: New Pinedene route

Postby Beefmaster » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Taken from ATNS website:

"The change in the route was necessitated to prevent JHB CTR violations to the south and to avoid conflictions with the circuit traffic at Grand Central.

The change to the route only affects the part of the route to the west of Pinedene Station.

Travelling eastbound, traffic must join the route via the N14/R55 interchange. Prior to reaching the Rooihuiskraal water reservoir a joining clearance must be obtained for Waterkloof Tower. Pilots must be vigilant for traffic exiting, or routing inbound for, the Grand Central ATZ to the south. From the water reservoir route to the south of the Swartkop ATZ and to the north of the SA Mint towards the Pindene station. The route east from Pinedene station remains unchanged.

Travelling west, traffic must enter and Pinedene route as per the old route. At Pinedene Station turn slightly right and route north of the SA mint and to the south of the Swartkop ATZ, to exit the Waterkloof CTR at the Rooihuiskraal water reservoir. Again, traffic exiting the route to the west must vigilant for traffic operating to and from the Grand central ATZ to the south.

Note, the use of the route is still subject certain conditions:
•Flight will be restricted to 6000ft ALT max whilst in controlled airspace
•Flights are to be conducted by day in VFR
•Pilots must still comply with laid down frequency requirements and broadcast TIBA on the appropriate Johannesburg Special Rules frequency
•A clearance must be obtained from Waterkloof ATC prior to entering the Pinedene VFR Route.

Also AIP Supp link with coords:
http://www.atns.co.za/PDF/Products%20an ... 0Route.pdf

Is this what you looking for?? This is from June last year.

Gavin
ZU-DMB -> Worlds hottest Raptor 582
A powerline never hits an aircraft, except in self-defence.
Gavin Kukard
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Beefmaster

Many thanks, yep that it what the ATC lady described to me now that I see it - i will check on google earth where the Rooihuiskraal water reservoir is and save the co-ords from your link

Thanks again

D
Big D
Beefmaster
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Beefmaster » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:58 pm

No sweat man, ja I noticed they left out the coord for rooihuiskraal reservoir! S25 54 21 E28 08 27. I think thats it :)
ZU-DMB -> Worlds hottest Raptor 582
A powerline never hits an aircraft, except in self-defence.
Gavin Kukard
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Beefmaster wrote: Also AIP Supp link with coords:
http://www.atns.co.za/PDF/Products%20an ... 0Route.pdf
Many thanks Gavin!

However, if someone could confirm that I have my facts correct here . . . .

I see that the AIRAC AIP SUPPLEMENT S048/11 gives Pinedene Station coords as the Pinedene "Bridge", a landmark not referred to by pilots or ATC when using the Pinedene Corridor! Now, one may argue that is is not a huge difference, but surely in this day of GPS coordinates given to FOUR DECIMAL POINTS ON THE SECONDS (!!!) we can get it slightly closer than the 790m between these two points! ## ##

790m = 60+ LSAs standing wingtip-2-wingtip!! :roll:

Unless of course I have it all wrong and I need the bashing! ## ##

Anyone? Bash me! :wink:
Pinedene Station.jpg
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:13 pm

You may also want to put this reporting point in your GPS, which was used (requested by FAWK ATC) when routing east-west on the Pinedene Corridor last week:

Rooihuis Kraal N1/N14 Interchange 25°52'43.07"S 28°10'7.92"E

Cheers! (^^)
John Comley

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Does anyone have the EXACT coordinates of the Bapsfontien Tower??

Trying to find a tower (small footprint and tall) on Google Earth is a tad challenging! :lol:

Thanks! (^^)
John Comley

Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:12 am

Hi John, the tower's co'ords (Google Earth) are:

25 59'41"S
28 27'03"E
tower.jpg
Here is the text from AIRAC AIP SUPPLEMENT S048/11 (Pinedene Routing) the route changed on 02 June Last year.

REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA
CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY
Tel: (011) 545-1000
Fax: (011) 545-1465
E-Mail: mail@caa.co.za
Private Bag x 73
Halfway House
AIRAC AIP
SUPPLEMENT
S048/11
02 JUNE 2011
JOHANNESBURG FLIGHT INFORMATION REGION (FAJA)
PINEDENE VFR ROUTE
AIRAC Effective date: 02 June 2011
Validity period: PERM
1. Pinedene VFR Route
Due to air traffic congestion in the Johannesburg Special Rules Area and the high costs associated with
flying, the need exists for economical routes for flights between the eastern and western side of the OR
Tambo INTL CTR.
In the past flights have, on an Ad Hoc basis, been cleared through the Waterkloof CTR. Pilots have often
not followed the route they were cleared on and as a result there have been violations of the OR Tambo
INTL CTR.
To accommodate VFR flights to/from the eastern/western side of the OR Tambo INTL CTR the following
route, subject to the listed conditions, have been approved:
Route Description
Eastbound Routing Traffic must join the Pinedene VFR Route via the N14/R55 interchange
(S25°53’36.6362” E028°06’15.7212”) and route for the Pinedene Station
(S25°55'11.7481" E028°13'50.2316"), remaining clear of the Swartkop ATZ
and the SA Mint (Coinworld S25°54'54.0000" E028°09'24.0000"). From the
Pinedene Station, route along the 5 rows of high-tension power lines in an
easterly direction, remaining clear of the Rietvlei Nature Reserve, until past the
Corobrick factory (S25°55'04.7600" E028°19'40.3680"). Once past the
Corobrick factory, traffic can set course to exit the Waterkloof CTR to the east.

Westbound Routing Traffic inbound from the east must route directly for the Corobrick factory
(S25°55'04.7600" E028°19'40.3680"). From the Corobrick factory traffic must
route along the 5 rows of high-tension power lines to the Pinedene Station
(S25°55'11.7481" E028°13'50.2316"), remaining clear of the Rietvlei Nature
Reserve. From the Pinedene Station, traffic must route to the N14/R55
interchange (S25°53’36.6362” E028°06’15.7212”), remaining clear of The SA
Mint (Coinworld S25°54'54.0000" E028°09'24.0000") and the Swartkop ATZ,
to exit the Waterkloof CTR to the west.

Caution:
1. Pilots are requested to remain clear of the SA Mint (Coinworld S25°54'54.0000"
E028°09'24.0000"). The SA Mint is the building complex just to the north of the 5 rows of hightension
power lines and situated between the N1 (Ben Schoeman) Highway and the Old
Johannesburg/Pretoria road.
2. Pilots are reminded to exercise greater vigilance and accident avoidance techniques due to the
increased accuracy of navigation through the use of GPS and increased traffic normally associated
with defined routes and landmarks.
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:29 am

The west bound route is a straight line from Pinedene station to Aero 57. The first time they said 'report water resevoir in sight' I was caught off guard but is is slightly north in line of sight to Aero 57.

Routing eastwards, maintain a straight line from Aero 57 to Pinedene. They requested 'report outbound when you have Fly estate in in sight.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:57 am

Bundy wrote:Hi John, the tower's co'ords (Google Earth) are:

25 59'41"S
28 27'03"E
Thanks Alan! At least I can claim I was searching in the wrong area for it! :lol: But how difficult is it trying to locate a tower type structure? To have any chance of locating it you have to look for the shadow it casts!

Thanks for reposting the text from AIRAC AIP SUPPLEMENT S048/11 (Pinedene Routing) but back to the point I raised, the Pinedene Station coords are inaccurate, and by 790m! :shock:

Well, that's how I'm seeing it anyway.

Cheers, John
John Comley

Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Big D, this was covered in June 2011....... Where were you? :shock: :shock: :shock:
See the details here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15661&p=158725&hili ... ne#p158725
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks for info guys

Oom Eend - Ja oom ek hoor vhpy Where was I? Have not flown Pinedene for the last 2 years but I am glad that I now know the new route and am sure some fellow pilots also learned something here vhpy

Reckon I will visit that beatifull dam Bronkies next Saturday morning. Had a great flight visiting the Vaal with Demon, Ratman and Thatchman this afternoon! 183 miles of pure bliss! Had great weather too which is unusual for this time of year

Blue skies

D
Big D
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:55 am

Big-D wrote:Thanks for info guys,
Reckon I will visit that beatifull dam Bronkies next Saturday morning.
D
Cool David, will listen out for you.... What's the Reg No for the Wild Rover?...No need to tell you mine :wink:
Perhaps we can stop/meet at Zynkraal for a coffee? (Zynkraal is the far eastern point of the Pinedene corridor)

Guys please look at the following pics: (In order from the East)

I have only flown Pinedene once (FASK Last year) and this is the route I was shown to fly. The Fixed wings I have seen flying the corridor also take this route. The reporting points are as ATC instructed me to report on that day. The description in the AIC is a little confusing because the powerlines follow the "old route"? How do you guys interpret the exact route?
Pinedene1.jpg
Pinedene2.jpg
The route is fine for me till I cross the N1...then it's wall to wall houses (Rooihuiskraal) for about 4 miles (**) I must confess that this portion of the route makes me quite nervous with virtually nowhere to even attempt to land? (**)
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:26 am

Beefmaster wrote:No sweat man, ja I noticed they left out the coord for rooihuiskraal reservoir! S25 54 21 E28 08 27. I think thats it :)
I don't think it's that one, as the route would then take you VERY close to overflying the 'SA Mint no-go zone'. ##

I think this is it: 25°54'23.63"S 28° 09'23.98"E

Can anyone confirm, as they are both quite close!

Thanks, John
John Comley