Return from EAA Wonderboom

Matters of general interest
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Return from EAA Wonderboom

Postby Duck Rogers » Sun May 07, 2006 9:29 am

I was fortunate enough to be given a ride to Wonderboom and back by IFLYHI in his Thunderbird. It was superb flying weather going there in the morning but a whole different story coming back!

The wind was, to say the least, strong and gusty and with a storm brewing over JHB and the Northwest of JHB, it turned into a sort of bumpy ride home which, I might add, IFLYHI and the Thunderbird handled without a problem :D
The landing at his private strip was, if I may say so, very interesting :roll: The approach to a 8 meter wide runway is in between two tall trees and with the plane rockin' and rollin' on short final, called for some very straight and accurate aiming!
Safely through the trees, cut the power, pump the bicycle pedals like crazy, stir the pot for all you're worth, correct it, then correct again, and again, and finally Ian lands first, then me and then the nosewheel! A nice 3-pointer. Well done IFLYHI :!:

Now, I'm just wondering, how did the trikes fare on the way home? I'm sure glad I was in a 3-axis :twisted:

Duck Rogers
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Sun May 07, 2006 10:39 am

Hope all made in home OK.

Made the trip in Car as thought there would be too many planes and arrival home would be late (which was not the case this year). looked like very few waiting to depart at 4.15ish. The rug rats don't understand why we have to wait and it not fair on them after whole day in sun....

Saw the BlunderTurn take off as we left (Flew over us on extended 29). When got near JIA the wind was howling a gale and WX was K@K. Car all over the road (3 tonne Voyager) :shock: . Was one of those (very few)days when nicer to be on ground than in air. In 20mins it was all gone...

Hope all made hame safe. Did see a small white aerie running like hell very low level down Pinedene possibly for Kitty.....

PS
Nice to put face with Duck & IFLYHI...
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Sun May 07, 2006 4:50 pm

I took the road going Bantam home almost after dark and hit a recap from a truck that was thrown off luckely no damage reflexes were still good. Only my pissed pal next to me and only realised we hit the tread about 30 sec's later, "bliksem what was that"
How nice it was to meet the boys from this site and believe me when I say the Duck looks as naughty as what his writing is, toung in cheek.
Ryan brought my extra shirts and they look good, thanks bud.And then of course SA Flyer who allowed us to use their tent for a meeting point was awsome, I must admit I might have had one to many there but managed to sell them some subscriptions.
We stopped ot the restaurant for a ABF when Velocity said that he wanted to do a jump from the Bantam I would have loved for us to do that but with the shares so lo and the body not to strong that one we will do another time, maybe we use the Bantam six when we are at CC camp.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Sun May 07, 2006 9:43 pm

I first went to Andy Kasperson at Petit to check out the microlight which is now NEARLY ready to fly and then made my way to Wonderboom and got a couple of hours in.

Nice to see Agent again, Kurt and Velocity. Had a frostie at the SA Flyer tent, thanks to Mrs Miller and Grumpy for their hopitality.

I then hurtled home, with an awesome view of the storm that brewed at the time. Running late for a braai do with friends - I had the Thin Lipped Viper reception committee upon arrival. After some SERIOUS grovelling, charm and spade-work I've dug my way outa da dwang within 24 hrs. ( :wink: ) phew..........
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
Sleeper
Pre flight checks done

Postby Sleeper » Mon May 08, 2006 7:55 am

I was one of the trikes that flew back, and boy, was I glad I only had to go to Microland. I got back just before the gusts started. I think the Springs guys had a very nasty flight.
Sonex711
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Sonex711 » Mon May 08, 2006 8:00 am

Hey Duck,

Great meeting you... As you say, rather interesting flight home :shock: :shock:

My landing was one of the scariest to date. Started roundout at about 3' and got picked up about 20' by a HUGE rotor. Applied power and waited for the sink. Finally managed to get her down in one piece, and plane is still serviceable...

PS: I assume you guys had radio failure on take-off, so told FAWB you were with me :wink: Hope you get it sorted before the berg this weekend...
Andrew
Savannah flyer
S25 55 54.80 E028 04 34.40
=D* =D* =D*
Woody
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Woody » Mon May 08, 2006 10:49 am

Fully agree great show =D* .On flying in iceman was behind the "stokke" while i was on nav.My first flight out the nest :oops: :oops: :oops: so i sat back and enjoyed the ride.Coming home guess what... yea it's my turn.We booked out as formation got airborn turned along the ridge, went over the quarry.This is the time being the rookie that things start going funny.I try to give position report to tower ,but get answered in some alien language, the lead plane im suppost to follow.....missing :evil: :shock: We eventually visual on them very,very far away.Was suppose to track 190 mag. but wind had it's way tracking 240 mag.Landing wasn't that bad"brought it in like a blik"50%power on touch down.....with swetty hands :shock: :shock:
Iwould like to say it helps having a snr.pilot in back seat. Learned alot.
thanx ICEMAN
So what - wood can also fly!
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Mon May 08, 2006 11:45 am

HighFlyer wrote:I was one of the trikes that flew back, and boy, was I glad I only had to go to Microland. I got back just before the gusts started. I think the Springs guys had a very nasty flight.
The Springs gang made it home safe, interesting last 5 minutes. We managed to just miss the storm. Just closed the hanger doors after the flight when it came down. Good thing is we got out of wonderboom first, if we left 5 minutes later we would have to land earlier i.e Microland/Petit and wait the storm out.

Regards
Rudi

PS: The show this year for me was not that great, lot of the same old, lot of dead time between displays. I liked the boeing flight display the best.
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
Sleeper
Pre flight checks done

Postby Sleeper » Mon May 08, 2006 11:48 am

Woody wrote:... the lead plane im suppost to follow.....missing :evil: :shock: We eventually visual on them very,very far away.
Sorry Woody. I was doing a few 360's over Mamelodi waiting for you guys and when I saw you caught up with me, I proceeded home. Thought you were with me. Trevor who took off after you guys were flying away for me, so I hanged on the bar a bit, especially seeing the weather in front.

I wanted to ask you for a beer afterwards in the lapa, but when I looked up you were already leaving. Perhaps next time...
Sleeper
Pre flight checks done

Postby Sleeper » Mon May 08, 2006 11:52 am

greylingr wrote:PS: The show this year for me was not that great, lot of the same old, lot of dead time between displays. I liked the boeing flight display the best.
I agree with Rudi. Thought I would see a lot more about the EAA part (Kits to build). My wife made the same comment about dead time between the displays.
Woody
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Woody » Mon May 08, 2006 12:25 pm

No sweat, i saw number 3 trailing you, but no way was that wind going to allow me to catch you, :oops: as i said had you in visual. Makes me think of the old airforce war stories " After your payload was dropped it is then each man for himself"On reaching 50 hours flight time i wanted to go for leasons in bad weather flying, but geee :shock: after Saturday im ready to leave the nest .Thanx High flyer will pm you to meet for some coffee. (^^)
So what - wood can also fly!
Thunderboy
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thunderboy » Mon May 08, 2006 1:11 pm

Good to meet some of you saturday, it was pretty hot during the day, saw those couds on the way home & thought about all those flying back.

Who were the 3 guys flying the trikes in the display :?:
Thunderboy
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thunderboy » Mon May 08, 2006 2:05 pm

Okay answer to above here: viewtopic.php?t=1928

The trike and 3 axis microlight flying were very impressive