Fixed wing microlights

Matters of general interest
crossing16
Thinking of flying

Fixed wing microlights

Postby crossing16 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Everyone.
I have been an aviation enthusiast since I was a youngster, started my PPL on a Cessna 150, but decided… hang on, this is going to be a very expensive hobby having to hire and fly each month for fun! I am taking a look at Microlights now, and just want to get some questions answered. I am Fixed wing crazy, so having a look at what is out there browsing the net, I can only see the Quicksilver open cockpit something like the 2s sport. I gather trikes are very popular, but I still would prefer a conventional style aeroplane. Are there any other microlights in the same category as the Quicksilver that come in at around a similar price / quality / safety regions? What makes a trike more popular over these conventional style aeroplanes? Is it price, or safety, or what is it? I would be grateful to hear a few opinions or suggestions. Thanks
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Fixed wing microlights

Postby bobthebuilder » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure that there are any safety benefits if comparing trikes to three axis.
Models to look at include the Cheetah, Bantam, Thunderbird amoung plenty of others.

In what region do you reside?
Byron Kirkland
crossing16
Thinking of flying

Postby crossing16 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Thank you for your response Byron,
I have made contact with the Quicksilver agent in SA, and have done some internet research on the 3axis models, particular the 2S. I am very keen on building the aerie from a kit, and it appears that the 2S is the latest model of the open cockpit design, it is also considered pretty simple to build if the builder has a bit of savvy in tool work. Some advantages:
1) Fairly easy to build for amateurs
2) Cheaper kit options as opposed to most 3axis microlights
3) Quicksilver has been around many years and sold 100’s of their aeries all over the world
4) Very popular in America
5) Represented all over the world through a lot of dealer networks.
Disadvantages:
1) Unsure about the spares availability in SA, and backup
2) No ready built aeriest to “test drive”
3) Need training, not many flight schools have the aerie in their fleet to train on
4) Great flying characteristics but SLOW.
These are just a few advantages and disadvantages that I can mention. Overall the Quicksilver seems to be a beautiful airplane in my opinion, and great for having responsible fun. I just don’t know why they are not so popular here in SA.
I live in KZN and I have not yet seen any around. Is there something that I am missing perhaps as to why so popular in other countries but not here, or I may be up for correction? If so please forgive me! Does anyone know the statistics of how many Quicksilver airplanes there are currently flying in SA?
Johnorr
First solo

Postby Johnorr » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:21 am

Hi There,
I am flying a Quicksilver MXL 2 S in Thailand very nice aircraft for fun flying.Precision controls and cheap to maintain.Mine got the Rotax 503 engine on it.
I bought it from the flight school where I did my training for pilot license,it had 250hrs on the hobs and engine was renewed . So after I bought it I did my training
in my own airplane what a good feeling.
The only back draw is that the glide ratio is low 5:1. Plane got a lot of drag but this make it a slow flyer and good for training.You can't go wrong with a QS It is a
proofed design and absolutely fun to fly.This plane also teach you all you need to know about three axis control you got a first hand experience with wind and
turbulence.
It is a very forgiving plane and can take some rough landings too.
There is nothing wrong with a QS for a first plane.
UP-18
nickjaxe
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby nickjaxe » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:13 am

I used to think fixed wing or nothing...till I tried a flight in a flex...fixed wing just seems boring now....never thought I would say that,

I know trikes don't look as sexy...but for me its the fun and excitement I gets from flexwings...why don't you get yourself a 30 min trail flight in a flex then decide.

Nick.
What a nice feeling it is being part of such a nice group of people, {Microlighters}
MMW
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby MMW » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:51 pm

these Quicksilvers are very cool Microlights, done some instruction on the mxii recently and found the flying characteristics to be brilliant- very surprising at the windy / crosswinds turbulence capability, ,. get clever comments from people that don't know them like one ah that said he would not get into that lap & draad machine - lots of fun and safe!
Mark Wheeler
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:27 pm

I agree with MMW! I have seen him fly the Quicksilver in windy bumpy conditions, when the trike guys have all gone home, and he was till instructing and having fun!
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
georgeh
First solo

Postby georgeh » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:45 pm

Have a look in the for sale colunm at my mates airie; streak shadow ZU-AIA, a lot of airie for a small amount of dosh. There quite a few flying in the Cato Ridge area and they will out fly nearly anything in this class---fast or slow, easy to handle and great fun.If you can fit in the cocpit you should go and have a look and make him an offer,he wants to buy a vintage airie and needs to sell this one.His name and number are in the ad.
George Harrower
crossing16
Thinking of flying

Postby crossing16 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:52 am

Thanks guys for your valued input :)
georgeh: I have looked at the Shadow Streak, its a very good offer, and a beautiful looking airie! But i have my mind set on the Quicksilver 2S mainly because of its open cockpit and side by side seating. The main reason i want this airie is because i am hoping to make a project of it, basically speaking is to build the airie from the kit to flying her!
Thanks again
Quicksilver Fanatic
Found a flight school

Postby Quicksilver Fanatic » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:59 am

MMW wrote:these Quicksilvers are very cool Microlights, done some instruction on the mxii recently and found the flying characteristics to be brilliant- very surprising at the windy / crosswinds turbulence capability, ,. get clever comments from people that don't know them like one ah that said he would not get into that lap & draad machine - lots of fun and safe!
Rudix wrote:I agree with MMW! I have seen him fly the Quicksilver in windy bumpy conditions, when the trike guys have all gone home, and he was till instructing and having fun!
crossing16 wrote:Thanks guys for your valued input :)
georgeh: I have looked at the Shadow Streak, its a very good offer, and a beautiful looking airie! But i have my mind set on the Quicksilver 2S mainly because of its open cockpit and side by side seating. The main reason i want this airie is because i am hoping to make a project of it, basically speaking is to build the airie from the kit to flying her!
Thanks again

Quicksilver is back in South Africa with a vengeance.

Check out our Website http://www.quicksilveraircraft.co.za and Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/QuicksilverAircraftAfrica

We also have 2 happy existing Quicksilver owners, who's new Sport 2S kits just arrived in Durban from the US.

Contact me on any other info or parts needed.

Regards,
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:51 am

Check this out -- http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/dream ... raced.html same position as the quicksilver, at less than half the price. Its also a slow aircraft, two seater, simple design, american made, and built in 100-120 hours-- this is a few weekends and its done. many engine options, and seems like you can have this built and flying for a touch under R100K -- depending on engine choice.

Pricing here -- http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/airdr ... rform.html
Attachments
dream1.jpg
dream1.jpg (12.85 KiB) Viewed 7068 times
dream2.jpg
dream2.jpg (17.96 KiB) Viewed 7068 times
dream3.jpg
dream3.jpg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 7068 times
dream4.jpg
dream4.jpg (5.28 KiB) Viewed 7068 times
murdoch-2.jpg
murdoch-2.jpg (8.81 KiB) Viewed 7068 times
bryan
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby bryan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:34 am

How about the agents bring a Quicksilver down to Wings Park for the National Convention on the 8th, 9th and 10th of August. There are 7 trikes here and it would be a good marketing venture.
Regards
Bryan Erasmus