Stolen 582 Engines

Matters of general interest
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Stolen 582 Engines

Postby falconp1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi Everyone.

We had a very unfortunate incident at Klip this weekend.
Two engines were stolen. One off a bushbaby and the other a trike.
It looks as if the persons new exactly what they were after because they were very selective.

None of the lawn mowers or the usual things were touched.
We appeal to everyone out there for any info.

The serial no for the blue top is 5307127. E series box and P ne Nekker prop serial no N2259 72"x52"

The serial no for the silver top is 5162215.
They left the prop. Which makes you think that they needed the parts for a puller. (tractor)

This has really affected the parties concerned as they aren't insured.
Attachments
Copy of 1207140016.JPG
Copy of 1207150026.JPG
Last edited by falconp1 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
freddievanrooyen@yahoo.com
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Stolen 582 Engines

Postby kloot piloot » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:28 pm

BLOODY HELL !!! :shock:
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
KlapperKnop
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby KlapperKnop » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Hey Freddie. Was it force entry? Did the caretaker not notice anything?
ZU-DJE
Vatso
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Vatso » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:00 pm

That is crap!!! Hope they catch the person!!!
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:23 pm

KlapperKnop wrote:Hey Freddie. Was it force entry? Did the caretaker not notice anything?
Yip. Used a bolt cutter.
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
freddievanrooyen@yahoo.com
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:02 am

Dit maak my net sommer DIE BLIKSEM IN!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

The fact that they took the prop as well indicates that these parts are intended for re use in an aircraft somewhere, or for sale on the second hand market....let's all jot down those serial no's and troll the classifieds to try and find them... :evil:

Is the serial number also stamped on the engine somewhere or just on the little "Rotax ID plate"?

Hard to believe that there are such callous criminals in our midst...I really hope we do not see a trend developing here. We all need to be very careful it seems when buying 2nd hand goods, make sure you know their origin. :( (not so easy though with NTCA's :wink: )

Feel very sorry for the pilots affected. :( Hope you guys can replace your losses and get back in the sky asap. :|
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:32 am

Disgusting, I have posted this on 2 UK forums as who knows they may pop up elsewhere. I think they will never be available for use here. But who knows a poachers use helicopters ..
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:33 am

This is incredibly disturbing. It is probably the most disturbing incident I have heard about since joining the flying fraternity. It is difficult to write this but as aviators we anticipate that there will be incidents/accidents, even deaths. We even anticipate petty theft, such as fuel theft and odds and ends. BUT we do NOT anticipate the desecration of our much loved and cared-for aircraft!! :shock: :shock:

I suggest that we assist the investigators by using our collective minds to build a profile of the perpetrator/s. So, allow me to start:

PROFILE OF THE 582 ROTAX CRIMINAL
> There was more than one person, maybe even three people
> They live/work within a reasonably close radius to Klip
> They know/understand aviation and are possibly pilots themselves (yes, VERY hard to write that!)
> At least (most probably only) one of them own aircraft but hasn't flown in a long while due to engine problems (think people!!!)
> At least one of them might be an "AP", or at least offer AP-type services (so, "aircraft mechanic") - at very least one of them is mechanically minded
> They are possibly associated with Klip or are friends of people at Klip (see my note below)
> They are struggling financially
> They are white
> They are BASTARDS!

Feel free to add to this or edit/delete content in order to assist the investigators!!

As a point of interest: Once I had the most stunning tropical garden in a complex in Hillcrest plundered (literally EVERY plant taken out the garden, leaving it looking like a WWI battlefield!) when I was "in between" tenants! Eventually I discovered that it was someone I knew VERY well (a friend?), and who had been to my house MANY times, and who "took them for his uncle's dreary garden"! Go figure!!! :shock:

By the way: What other uses are there for Rotax 582s? You say "tractor"?

With the right investigation they WILL get caught. ## ## ## Sadly, this is the part that worries me!

Sport aviation (Rotax?) is a small and fairly tight fraternity which would make it difficult to get into the "business" of stealing and selling aircraft engines, even aircraft engine parts, as contrasted with say the taxi industry - one in which say Toyota cars are stolen to supply Toyota spares to the TAXI industry! My point is that this is probably a once-off crime perpetrated in order to replace an engine on an aircraft, with a full set of spares!

PLEASE PLEASE let this not become an ugly trend. :cry:
Last edited by John.com on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:44 am

Note to inverstigators*: Visit EVERY airstrip/hanger in a 100km radius of Klip! Look for dusty aircraft with flattish tyres that are now suddenly being worked on!!!

## ## ## ## ## ##

*By the way . . . that includes YOU and ME!!! Keep you eyes open next time to visit your hanger!!
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
zoobie
First solo

Postby zoobie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:09 am

Hi fellow aviators

It is a very sad day for all pilots and lovers of this sport.

I am the owner of one of the planes.

The culprits ripped my Bushbaby cowls to pieces and simply cut all the wiring and pipes to get the eninge out.
They even forced open my cupboard and threw the contents on the floor.

Peter Magnus and myself have put in over 10 years and more than 1200 hours in getting this plane to the pristine condition that it was.

I appeal to all owners, Amo's, instructors etc, please keep a lookout for these engines, gearboxes and propeller when you are doing annual inspections. These items will definitely surface somewhere either in aircraft or for sale. These culprits must be stopped as they do not belong in the flying fraternity.

If anyone has any details on the above, or is offered any of the items for sale, please will you contact me.

Joe Bettoni
082 552 8233
joebettoni@vodamail.co.za

A personal message to the thieves:
Through your selfish and cowadly deeds, you have shattered my dreams and brought my flying career to an abrupt end.
If you can't afford to buy your own equipment, then you should do the honourable thing and bow out of this industry as you have brought shame and disgrace to our sport.
You are not, and never will be a pilot, your mind and soul is too corrupt for that.
You are scum of the earth and my wish is that you never get airborne, and if by chance you do, I hope you come back to earth with one hell of a bump.
Harsh as it may seem, you deserve what is coming to you.
"pilolts with big go**s fly taildraggers"
HENNING JOHAN
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby HENNING JOHAN » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:23 am

This is really bad!This must be somebody in the area!About 2 years ago a brand new Nc prop was stolen @ Circus!The person also come throught the main doors of the hanger!The theft must be pulled with a rope behind a trike! :evil: :evil: Hope this problem can resolved as soon as possible!I will keep my eyes wide open for this motors and prop!Strongs to the triker and bush baby pilot!Very sad for your guys!Did alot of my training @ klip!My IVO prop is on one of the trikes in the some hanger!Scary!! :shock:
FLY SAFE!!FLYBOY OBD.Aerotrike Scout 503 ZU-CAI.
Suesing
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Suesing » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:09 am

Hectic be strong guys...shit man this is bad
http://www.valleyflightsmicrolighting.com
Jabiru Instructor ( Grade B)
Station Kariba
First solo

Postby Station Kariba » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:22 am

This is nothing short of despicable. Surely it will not go unnoticed that a previously unserviceable plane is suddenly now flying. Somewhere someone must know something is not right that suddenly the perps are now able to fit a different engine. At our Airfield we certainly know the predicament of each owner and the circumstances of their repective planes. They will be caught as they have underestimated the comaradire of the flying freternity. May the fleas of a thousand Camels desend on their crouches and may their hands turn to hooks when they wipe their A..es. Shame on you.
Graham Galloway
Z-RUM
Z-TOC
Z-HAY
Louis Cole
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby Louis Cole » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:37 am

Hi all,
This is very disturbing to us all especially to the affected pilots.As a retired policeman, I can almost assure you that a police investigation will not solve this theft.Sad but true.The investigating officer just wouldn't take the trouble to visit all airfields.It is just not going to happen.The solution lies within the flying fraternity.We should also extend this thread on the Avcom site.Somewhere amongst us we will be aware of someone who flew a similar aircraft and who needed a 582 engine or who fitted the profile as explained above.We should give this matter as much prominence as possible.Perhaps someone has contacts in the media .The more heat the less space for the slimeball to maneuvre.Can we somehow assist the guys to get back in the air again.
Regards,
Loneranger.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
25 52.869' S 027 54.940' E
(http://www.opencockpit.co.za)
"Reach for your dreams"
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Leprachaun » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Whoa, and I believed pilots were officers and gentlemen , this is not good , able top as well as a silver top , looks like it was an order for engines/ spares. ..??? I only hope this is not the future for aviation -- suggest you visit all the scrap metal dealers in the area as well , they more I think about it the madder I get , Leprachaun (**)
A pilot lives by perfection , or not at all!