What to buy Challenger or Excalibur

Matters of general interest
Frencho
Ready for the first flight

What to buy Challenger or Excalibur

Postby Frencho » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi Guys

I am new on this site but it seems the right place to be when in need of advice. I am currently busy doing my CCM license and not long to solo now. I would like to buy my own aircraft once I have my license and I really like the Challenger ultralight. I dont have anything against a puller prop but prefer a pusher and to me the challenger is a very nice looking plane. I have been doing a lot of reading and watching vids on them and whilst searching came across the excalibur which is almost identical to the challenger but according to their website a lot better. I could not find any dealers or agents for them in SA ???????. Please share some of your views as it would help me in making up my mind before I actually buy an aircraft.

Regards

Francois
Curtiss Jenny - ZU-AKK
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: What to buy Challenger or Excalibur

Postby Dish » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:03 am

I owned a challenger and enjoyed it immensely - have never heard of an excalibur....so my votes for the challenger and I may happen to know of one that may be available...

Theyre great little aeries, i find that the problem is packing space for overnight fly aways.... if you can overcome that, its a great plane
RV9
DISH
Frencho

Postby Frencho » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 am

Hi Dish

I know of two that is for sale but let me know in any case it wont do any harm as it might be a different one. Just have a look on the web and go to excalibur ultralights and you will see it looks identical to a challenger but with a list of improvements that you dont have on a challenger and one big item is actual flaps and not flapperons. The have a comparison list on their site and you can rate between the challenger and the excalibur. It is cheaper as well as lots of items is standard as compared to the challenger where these items is optional and at cost of course. Getting back to packing space on the challenger, I need very little if i have to overnight somewhere but it is the women that makes that a whole other ballgame. Maybe i can fit a roofrack on top of the wings LOL or tie suitcases to the wingstruts.

Francois
Curtiss Jenny - ZU-AKK
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi Francois.
it is qute a few years ago, but I put in quite a few hours in the Challeger 11. What a fantastic little plane. very forgiving, and easy to handle. At the coast we had the 503 Rotax, whis is the ideal motor. We used to fly for the comunity policing forum. had a police radio, That plane went through hell with all the different pilots, but always came out tops.
i would stongly reccomend getting one. As already said. Luggage space is a problem.
Good luck with your choice.
Vernon. (^^)
juangerrits

Postby juangerrits » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:30 pm

I owned a challenger ZU-AFF and I can state that the Challenger 2 CW was the best microlight that I have flown. It is very stable and forgiving and we had many hours of fun flying her. My vote is Challenger

Juan
ZU-DSG
Safe Flying
Juan
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Challenger ZU AFF was mine after Juan - vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy - hello boet - what you flying now ??? must say

NEVER looked back after buying my bantam

vhpy vhpy
RV9
DISH
Frencho

Postby Frencho » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for the inputs always helpfull. A aerie that looks also quite nice is the quicksliver GT 500 but it seems there are no dealerships in SA. I do fancy the challenger it is a nice plane and I have had good feedback on it so far. Looking at one with 582 fitted so little extra oompfff also good. Gonna be flying right at the coast. All the challengers I have seen has no doors why is that any specific reason not to fly with doors on in SA??? can understand that the pilot would be ok as he has a cockpit windshield but passenger might not be so happy when it gets a bit cold.

Francois
Curtiss Jenny - ZU-AKK
juangerrits

Postby juangerrits » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi Dish, I fly a tri-Cubby and its very nice and very soft on the pocket when it comes to services and fuel. Leaded mogas.
The Challenger`s passenger gets a bit colder in the winter and therefore needs a flightsuit or warm clothes. The open cockpit is great and in summer a total pleasure. I have flown WYG down to Clan William from Babsfontein a couple of years ago, and was flying at 9500 feet asl over the Karoo. This was my best flying experience ever. The belt tension on the Challenger is very crucial and you can contact me if you have any doubts.
Hope you make a wise decision Francois. Remember that the Challenger CW(clipped wing) can handle a 30 mile per hour crosswind! I have tested it and she can!

Safe flying
Juan
ZU-DSG
Safe Flying
Juan
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi Frencho, i have exactly what you need..........a Challenger 11 clipped wing (new model), with doors, and a baggage box behind the rear seat, and wing tanks (!!)
Give me a shout
Jean Crous 072 6716 240
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Tue May 01, 2012 1:37 am

Frencho wrote: A aerie that looks also quite nice is the quicksliver GT 500 but it seems there are no dealerships in SA.
The Quicksilver dealership was re-launched in SA at the Tedderfield MISASA event in February. I remember seeing them there.
Perhaps someone has more info....maybe contact MISASA?
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue May 01, 2012 9:48 am

Buy Challenger. The company making them has been in this bussiness for more than 25 years, making Challengers. The Excalibur is a copy, and the manufacturor has not been around for all that long. THINK: Back up from factory! :wink:
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Tue May 01, 2012 12:22 pm

puff

Can anybody post us a pic of this 'well spoken off'" aircraft.??
would like to see it.!! ##
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
Frencho

Postby Frencho » Tue May 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Blue Max wrote:puff

Can anybody post us a pic of this 'well spoken off'" aircraft.??
would like to see it.!! ##
Go the main page and click on " aircraft specific discussions" scroll down till quadcity challenger and there you will find lots of photos

Francois
Curtiss Jenny - ZU-AKK
Frencho

Postby Frencho » Tue May 01, 2012 1:41 pm

IMG_5338.JPG
IMG_5338.JPG (44.18 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
Curtiss Jenny - ZU-AKK
Quicksilver
Thinking of flying