1st time buyer - Aquilla vs Cobra?

Matters of general interest
BeanCounter
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

1st time buyer - Aquilla vs Cobra?

Postby BeanCounter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi Guys

I'm about halfway through my training at Microland and hoping to soon have something to put in a hangar. vhpy I'm very keen on weekend fly-aways and to put the trike on a trailer for trips down to the Drakensberg etc.

At the risk of pitting the BMW-manne against their Mercedes-Benz counterparts, what would be the better choice for my first trike - Aquilla or Scout/Cobra?

Thanks
ZU - KBP Cobra

Time spent flying is not deducted from one's lifespan
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: 1st time buyer - Aquilla vs Cobra?

Postby DarkHelmet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:00 pm

It is really a preference thing, what are you training on at the moment? What is more comfortable? What is your budget?

I started training on a Aerotrike Safari, bought one, lost it in the crunch, found a bargain in a Windlass, I am happy so long I can fly!
bryan
Whats the right frequency?

Postby bryan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:38 pm

I fly an Aquilla so I am biased, but saying that I think you are not comparing apples to apples.....cost ,speed etc. Secondly finish your training then try different trikes before making up your mind . As you gain experience your needs might change. Then thirdly, one does not put a trike on a trailer and take it somewhere, you fly the damn thing that is what it was designed to do!
Regards
Bryan Erasmus
ZU BFR
ZU EZA
ZS-NEL
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby ZS-NEL » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:52 pm

bryan wrote: Then thirdly, one does not put a trike on a trailer and take it somewhere, you fly the damn thing that is what it was designed to do!
So bek moet jam kry!
BeanCounter
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby BeanCounter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:47 am

DarkHelmet wrote:It is really a preference thing, what are you training on at the moment? What is more comfortable? What is your budget?

I started training on a Aerotrike Safari, bought one, lost it in the crunch, found a bargain in a Windlass, I am happy so long I can fly!
I'm training on Aquilla's and I haven't been up in any of the others yet so I obviously still have some homework to do.
@ Bryan - I like your advice but I don't think my Softness will be happy only packing a toothbrush and a T-shirt for a weekend away. :lol: Die goed wat vrouens darem alles wil inpak.. (**)
ZU - KBP Cobra

nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:04 am

You must fly them both before you buy,then you must look at the after sale service....The one is much better than the other....I know because I deal with both of them.
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Tribal Croc
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Tribal Croc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:10 am

All said above ## ##

My experience was to buy the first trike that was available for the price I had in mind. (**)

The result was me not thinking what I really wanted to do with it (play around the patch, fly aways ect ect)

I enjoyed my first trike a lot but soon I was not happy -the thing for me was that I am far from every thing and to fly back alone after breakfasts and hitting Bushveld turbulance was not nice !!!

Fly all of them and compare - don't be jumping into the first trike that falls into your budget ## ##
Tribal Croc
ZU-ICanXplane
Bushbaby Explorer MK2
Tailwheel fun starts here

#exploringsouthafricanskies
CHARLIE WHISKEY

Postby CHARLIE WHISKEY » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:26 am

Bryan

Well said boet (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)

(!!)
Cheers
Fueled by Faith.
ZS-VMP
ZU-BBR
ZU-CMS
ZS-WFT
ZU-FGR
ZU-CTS
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:58 am

Tribal Croc wrote:Fly all of them and compare - don't be jumping into the first trike that falls into your budget ## ##
I must say it has only taken me 10 years to get the trike i really want and yes first check out what is available and then also like tribal says, see what you want to do and then go and get yourself a bird. saves lots of time, frustration & cash.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:45 am

All trikes can be derigged so that should not be a consideration.

Do not be pressured not to derig your trike. It takes time to build enough experience to be comfortable to fly away on long trips. The wx can change between departure and arival and also when you need to get back. Although one must be careful to pack your wing properly it is a good idea when you still have a lot to learn. Better to derig and fly than not to fly at all.

Other than that as said above it comes down to budget and preference so fly in both before you decide. You will only have to ask to get flips before you make up your mind.
Parasitic Drag: A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.

ZU - forePLaY
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:50 am

Depends. Do you like to tinker, upgrade?

I'm biased so would'nt even bugger around with a 503, and the speeds of the 582's mean you return from a trip in 10h30 thermals. Its fine but off-putting for some pax.

You obviously intend going on extended flips. Suggest before you buy or plan on taking your squeeze on a mid day fly away you arrange a flip for her around 11h00. You'll soon find out if it's a deal breaker or not. :)

I would go straight to the real deal. There's an immaculate 100 hour metallic red GT 450 with all the bells and whistles at Microland.

When you ask around be sure that the guys advising you have flown one.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:00 am

You are unlikely to be 100% 'happy' with your first purchase, and until you actually leave the nest, and begin your own flying, only then after quite a few hours will you really know where you want to be in terms of equipment etc. Will also depend on who you want to fly with.

My advice for a first time buyer - buy something that will hold it's resale value and and that you are able to move it quickly if you decide to resell.

With your two choices, not sure you will go wrong with either. They are both well supported in SA.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:13 pm

BeanCounter wrote:Hi Guys

I'm about halfway through my training at Microland and hoping to soon have something to put in a hangar. vhpy I'm very keen on weekend fly-aways and to put the trike on a trailer for trips down to the Drakensberg etc.

At the risk of pitting the BMW-manne against their Mercedes-Benz counterparts, what would be the better choice for my first trike - Aquilla or Scout/Cobra?

Thanks
Hi there BC, glad to hear you are well on your way to a NPL at Microland (^^)

I will most certainly bump into you sometime there as it's my home field. :) (You'll find me in the workshop...resurrecting our plane ## )

Dont rush to buy a plane, I suggest you finish you training at Skyriders and then start looking around. Nico is 100% correct in that you must go fly the different types before you decide. Remember, we can tell you all about how great any specific aerie is but YOU have to fly it. puff

You have to balance your "budget" and your "needs". We bought Tribal Croc's old plane DBP (Aquilla2 582) and I really enjoy flying an Aquilla. For me, I have no desire (at this stage of the game) to own another type of trike....but that's me....everyone is different. 8)

Bottom line, go fly the various types and then decide. They are all different and have their own unique Pro's and Con's. You should also consider the Apollo. Skin had one at microland and recently sold it. Great machine and very reasonably priced if you ask me. Full fairing tourer!
BeanCounter
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby BeanCounter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks Gents, I really appreciate all the advice you've given me! (^^) I've been trawling this forum in the shadows for a couple of months now and it's comforting to see how keen experienced pilots are to share their knowledge.

I have my next lesson with Mervin tomorrow morning, hopefully my training stays on track and I'll be able to come bum a ride with one of you guys some time soon!
ZU - KBP Cobra

Sideslip
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Sideslip » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:27 pm

maybe this will help:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18158
Mike Gill