1st time buyer - Aquilla vs Cobra?

Matters of general interest
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: 1st time buyer - Aquilla vs Cobra?

Postby Asterix » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Sideslip - moenie te windgat raak nie!! :lol: :lol: "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" :wink:

I think I'll do a little write-up for the mag, once I have flown enough hours in the Cobra. As I own both types , (and not intending to sell my beloved Aquilla, known as Geel Kerneels) I may be able to deliver a fair comparison. :wink: :wink:

They both have their place.

What I love about Geel Kerneels is his forgiving nature, "no nonsense" construction, shortfield capabilities and simplicity. What I find lacking in Geel Kerneels is speed when I want it, endurance, and the ability to keep me a bit more comfortable in turbulence, on a x country. (Not that turbulence bothers me that much.. :twisted: :twisted: )

What I hope to get out of the Cobra is mainly:

1) More speed and a bigger speed range;
2) More comfort on a long x country;
3) More endurance: 45 litres usable fuel vs. 80 litres.

Both have been built in Africa, for Africa.

We'll see how it pans out once I have done a 200 mile stretch or two in the Cobra. :wink: (^^) (^^)
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:46 pm

Beancounter - no matter what you buy, don't go trailering your trike around the country as if it was a motorboat looking for a dam. Fly it there, have plenty of alternatives, and if the weather is sh@t on the morning that you planned to leave - cancel the days flight, open the cooler / approach the bar, AND HAVE A BEER! (^^)

Why do you want to load a perfectly flyable trike onto a trailer and face the deadly roads of SA? Chances are better to write of your trike (on the trailer) in this way, than flying it.

The only thing that can EVER keep you from flying that planned leg is the weather. ## Nothing else will keep you from flying where ever you want to. BUT REMEMBER: Once the weather makes the call - don't try and push it. You will come second. The Weather is the Boss. In cases such as this - see above - HAVE A BEER, phone your boss and put in a day or two of leave. Then when the weather clears - fly it back. vhpy
BeanCounter
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby BeanCounter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks Asterix, I'll keep a look-out for your results! (^^) The only reason I'm looking at the trailer option is to be able to take the plane along on holiday. There's a place near Underberg with an airstrip that we go to for at least a week or so each year and I'd love to have a plane there next time for early morning flips over the mountains. But maybe I can get the Missus to drive down and I meet her there... ##
ZU - KBP Cobra

Time spent flying is not deducted from one's lifespan
Triker
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Triker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Seems there is no lack of money here when considering the Cobra as a first aerie 8)
Then rather be the first to own the ultimate ultimate in trike flying, South Africa has never seen

Check the link about the Revo
http://www.evolutiontrikes.com/
Thats if you have a spare R750/R800 k lying around

cheers
Enjoy the flying and welcome
Jonfer44
Thinking of flying

Postby Jonfer44 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:17 pm

Check out the latest video of the Revo Flying with the new engine enclosure.
http://www.trikepilot.com/videos/view/a ... 15643.html
BeanCounter
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby BeanCounter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:27 am

Triker wrote:Seems there is no lack of money here when considering the Cobra as a first aerie 8)
Then rather be the first to own the ultimate ultimate in trike flying, South Africa has never seen

Check the link about the Revo
http://www.evolutiontrikes.com/
Thats if you have a spare R750/R800 k lying around

cheers
Enjoy the flying and welcome
On the contrary Triker, I can't afford to waste money buying the wrong one so I better make sure my first plane is gonna last me a while! vhpy
This Revo looks awesome!! Tomorrow morning I'm going to ask Fanie at Microland why the school planes don't also have "molded composite seating with custom upholstry" :lol: :lol:
ZU - KBP Cobra

Triker
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Triker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi Jonfer44

That is really amazing. Reading up on the specs of the Revo, its just phenominal and ground breaking performance we are not used too.
Do you perhaps have a Revo.

(-) One day.. when i big.......o and have the money for a descent upgrade
Haha Beancounter, you go ask him :lol:
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Yip the Revo is an amazing piece of machinery....have a look at the pylon...composite construction that Ive never seen on any other trike?

Some risky manoevers in this vid, but all done by a highly skilled pilot in a controlled enviroment. Larry's just showing what this magnificent trike can do.... (^^)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeMchtBedx4

Enjoy!
Triker
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Triker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Interesting I have just seen Larry and Mike Blyth posing for a photo at the Oshkosh show in 2009
Checking all the videos of the Revo... damn fine trike

OK I'll just keep on drooling
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:17 pm

R800K? Seriously? Holy Crap!

Bugger that....for that price, it's a Sling baby! (^^) The more I see them, the more I like them! (!!)

All of which has bugger all to do with Aquilla's and Cobra's :lol:

....perhaps we should divert back to the topic I can "afford"? (^^) :lol:
coen
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby coen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Both good trikes.

But if after sales servive is anything to go on i would like to say that the guys at Micro Craft in KZN is not very forthcoming. I waited 4 months for a trike.
Regards Coen.
Jonfer44
Thinking of flying

Postby Jonfer44 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:39 am

Hi Triker,
I do not own a Revo although mine looks similar at a glance. Mine is a Delta Jet. Larry and his company imported the Delta Jets from hungary when they started doing business. From there Larry designed the Monsoon and then the Revo. The monsoon was partly imported but the Revo is pure American. I hanger at the same airport , Zephyrhills Florida, where they are designed,build and Larry test flies the new Revo's before shipping them out to all over the world. I have flown the Revo, also many times a passenger with Larry. The Revo is in a class of it's own and I would love to have one but can not afford it. If I had the money the Revo is on the top of my list. Not only the performance of the Revo is impressive but the quality of the material and workmanship will make this a very long lasting Trike.
For now, "my mond kan net water....." Here is a link to a video showing off how cool the Revo is. I am flying the Yellow Trike in the Video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... SbMgj2Gqb0

Jan
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:14 am

Jonfer44 wrote:Hi Triker,
I do not own a Revo although mine looks similar at a glance. Mine is a Delta Jet. Larry and his company imported the Delta Jets from hungary when they started doing business. From there Larry designed the Monsoon and then the Revo. The monsoon was partly imported but the Revo is pure American. I hanger at the same airport , Zephyrhills Florida, where they are designed,build and Larry test flies the new Revo's before shipping them out to all over the world. I have flown the Revo, also many times a passenger with Larry. The Revo is in a class of it's own and I would love to have one but can not afford it. If I had the money the Revo is on the top of my list. Not only the performance of the Revo is impressive but the quality of the material and workmanship will make this a very long lasting Trike.
For now, "my mond kan net water....." Here is a link to a video showing off how cool the Revo is. I am flying the Yellow Trike in the Video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... SbMgj2Gqb0

Jan
Wow :!: What a nice trike :!: Cool video (!!)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:40 am

Well BC... here are some of the better known models just for fun. (^^)

The Windlass:.... "The people's champ" of the African skies... this particular one is a True Legend. 8)
166968_3222750134074_1426086933_3169314_1598393123_n.jpg
The Scout: Also know as the Safari....never met an owner of one that wasnt happy. Tough and dependable.
NewScout.jpg
NewScout.jpg (55.36 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
The Aquilla 2: "My" Baby...soon to be restored to her former glory.... I love these Aircraft. The Toyota Corrolla of the sky. xxx
SANY0001.JPG
On to the "Tourers".....

Aerotrike Cobra: Very nice machine, fast, handles turbulence nicely, Cobra owners love their trikes (^^)
0418168.jpg
The GT450....no need for accolades, they are awesome trikes... 8)
gt450small.jpg
gt450small.jpg (30.73 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
I like all of the above, well established back up service and avalability, all good choices depending on your budget.... but here are another two I really like and have impressed me!

The Apollo Delta Jet:
201159111044705.jpg
DeltaJetAS-III582-3.jpg
The DTA Voyager (I think)... made famous by Olivier in Their South to South adventures. Although not very easy on the eyes, this thing is TOUGH! And look at the view from the Pilot seat...love the fact that there is no Profile tube. If I had the bucks I would love to fly one.
db_1VoyagerBlancEnterFlash_copy1.jpg
db_Console-Atacama1.jpg
And of course the REVO.... the ultimate? At R800K give or take, probably the most expensive trike in the world? Wow! If I had to choose between a ML Mercedes and this..... well let's just say I dont like driving that much :lol:
Revo.jpg
BeanCounter
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby BeanCounter » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks Bundy! (^^)
I'll have to win the lotto or rob a bank to get to a Revo and neither option is looking promising. :lol:
I'll be equally happy with a Cobra or an Aquilla but as you said i need to get my training done first. Maybe by then I'll take a deep breath, swallow hard and buy that beautiful red GT standing at Microland...sigh! xxx

Good luck with your rebuild, with all the effort you're putting in she'll be purring like a kitten when you take her up again puff
ZU - KBP Cobra