Low Flying and Kitefishing

Matters of general interest
ZS-NEL
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby ZS-NEL » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Had an interesting discussion today with "Kitefisher" from the fisherman’s forum. http://www.sealine.co.za/view_forum.php?id=82
See below and watch out for these kites. They using lines as strong as ESKOM's :twisted:

Hi Marius
Following our tele-discussion earlier, here is a brief summary of what could be a potential hazard to Microlighters.

Kite fishing as an angling discipline was dealt a hard blow by the total beach driving ban a couple of years ago, however there are still a few die-hard members doing it in the area between Durban and Port Edward. Mostly this happens between May and August in a macro time frame and more specifically in June/July in a micro time frame. This is the time of year when the offshore winds favour the use of kites and also coincides with the annual Sardine -run along abovementioned coastline.

Briefly, a kite is flown out to distances between 200 and 800meters in very extreme cases, these dark coloured kites (for better silhouette against the horizon) fly anything between 75meters to possibly 200meters high at these distances. Attached at roughly 100 meters from the kite is a dropper-line to which in turn is attached the sinker/buoy and bait. The drop-line also holds another marker, which serves as indicator that a fish has taken the bait.

All very interesting, but what does it have to do with aviation? well here's a scenario for thought. A couple of winters ago I had the experience of a Microlight passing below my kiteline, and on the landward side of the dropper line. Witnesses and bystanders all thought this to be very amusing, yet after a bit of thought I realised that this is obviously a potential hazard, and much as I tried to envisage what the outcome could be, one thing stood out clearly and that was, that it would not be ideal for either party if such an incident happens without ''lady-luck'' in the vicinity.

I am attaching a simple schematic or two just to give an example of what is written above regarding the kitefishing aspect. Bear in mind that most kite-anglers would be using Dacron of up to and possibly stronger than 120lbs breaking strain. The rod and reel could be deemed extremely strong with reels of up to the size of a Penn 14/0 (see pic), all of this may be anchored via a strong steel/aluminium stand firmly anchored onto rocks or spiked into the beach-sand.

The purpose of me writing this is obviously not to infringe on anybody's freedom to enjoy their sport, but purely out of concern for what could possibly end in tragedy. If it serves no other purpose than to warn low-flying Microlighters along the KZN-South-coast, of the possible unsuspecting dangers of kitefishermen, then so be it.
I obviously have no knowledge of Avionic regulations, and am writing this purely to bring it to the attention of people in the know, with a possible solution.

Yours in Kite-fishing
Kitefisher
p.s The following link will shed some light on the activities of kite-fishermen in South-Africa.
Pics courtesy of Hawaii fishing
http://www.sealine.co.za/view_forum.php?id=82
Attachments
hawaii-fishing-rig2.jpg
hawaii-fishing-rig.jpg
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Low Flying and Kitefishing

Postby vernon11 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Hallo ZS-Nel
Years ago in the sixties, I did a lot of shark fishing at Th Heven with kites. Depending on the wind, I would use as many as four kites. Our bait used to be as heavy as ten pound. Fortunatly, no microlights in those days, But there were often Daks flying East London - Durban. They knew of the potential damage, even to a big plane. and were familiar with The Haven, so would go out to sea to avoid us. Now when I am flying along the coast, which is often, I am always aware of the possibilities, of a kite strike. Furtunately not many kite fishermen on the wild coast anymore.
Be aware, and fly safe.
Vernon
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:57 pm

ZS-NEL wrote:Briefly, a kite is flown out to distances between 200 and 800meters in very extreme cases, these dark coloured kites (for better silhouette against the horizon) fly anything between 75meters to possibly 200meters high at these distances.
Now this is an interesting one... If there was a collision, where would the liability lie. The kite operator is breaking the law (flying above 150'), and the aircraft is breaking the law (creating a hazard for persons and property on the ground). Either way, it is the pilot who is going to have some serious problems...
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:02 pm

You are right about serious problems for the pilot. I used to use a 50ft x 3mm steel trace split to make two. The bait floated on the top, so 50ft was straight up. Imagine that getting hooked up into the prop.
Fly safe. ($$) ($$) ($$)
Vernon
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:39 am

Even when flying along the coast, anything below 300ft starts to make me itch for some altitude :roll:
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Postby John Young » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi Marius,

A well known Cato Ridge pilot flying his Tecnam landed at a fly-in at Margate. You guessed it.

He was trailing a kite, lines, bung, trace and a whole shad used as bait in front of hundreds of spectators. :shock:

Now, that's a .... (**)

Regards
John
Was a sEXY trike. Now registered as N457YJ
HansH
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby HansH » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Vernon, in 1960 when the natives in Pondoland were restless we used to fly Dak's along the Wild Coast at about 200' just to keep an eye on what was going on along the coast and were briefed on kite fishing and the areas where to expect them. We saw quite a few in the briefed areas and climbed a few feet to go over them or moved slightly out to sea. There was only one occassion that we knew of where there was a coming together of Dak and kite. The Dak won.
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:32 pm

HansH wrote:Hi Vernon, in 1960 when the natives in Pondoland were restless we used to fly Dak's along the Wild Coast at about 200' just to keep an eye on what was going on along the coast and were briefed on kite fishing and the areas where to expect them. We saw quite a few in the briefed areas and climbed a few feet to go over them or moved slightly out to sea. There was only one occassion that we knew of where there was a coming together of Dak and kite. The Dak won.
Hey Hans.
That is incredible. Who knows, We might have waved at each other. Chat about it when I see you in Margate soon.
Vernon.
Kitefisher
Looking at the sky

Postby Kitefisher » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi again guys.I am elated that everyone sees my post as being on a precautionary note and not randomly complaining or criticism.Like I said to Marius(ZS NEL),if it helps to make one pilot aware of possibly encountering a kite on the KZN Lower south-coast,it has served its purpose.Irrespective of the legalities regarding altitudes of kites and or aircraft,I suppose the odds are probably one in a million,yet I have an uncanny knack of beating the odds on occasion.I mean how many guys can say that they have caught a Cape Gannet on a live-shad 350meters out to sea.Boy was that a spectacular WW2style dive performed by the last Gannet in the flock.And was she antagonised when after loads of effort and enduring all sorts of glares and stares from bystanders.You will be amazed at just how dangerous those beaks can be,so yes I can at times beat the odds vhpy .I suspect that there is an Airshow in Margate every June/ July holiday,as the aero-activity seems to be much higher than during other holidays including December's.At least now it feels that I have done my civil duty. ($$) ($$) :lol:
ps.I used the 200meter height as an extreme,as I am pretty sure most kites do not fly that high due to the sagging of the Dacron(woven/braided fishing line) over the distance,yet one cant control the wind,and you guys will know what happens if you reel in a kite that is gaining altitude due to increased off-shore windstrength,it just goes higher and higher.

Interesting site,
Cheers
Suppose one could get Brian Emmenis,or whomever is the commentator at the Margate fly-in/Airshow to kindly remind everybody.
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Postby John Young » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:57 am

Kitefisher wrote:I mean how many guys can say that they have caught a Cape Gannet on a live-shad 350meters out to sea. You will be amazed at just how dangerous those beaks can be.
Hi Kitefisher,

Welcome. !!!!

Yip - got my T-Shirt on this one off the back of my yacht. Bastards beak is bad news. :shock:

Most guys fly near the shoreline - not too many kites there.

Besides, who's "gonna" win between a ski boat and fishing tackle? Similar with most flying machines. 450 Kg doing 85+mph is bound to "empty your reel".

When I raced my Hobi Cat, I won five - love against shark tackle. vhpy vhpy vhpy

Regards
John
Was a sEXY trike. Now registered as N457YJ
Kitefisher
Looking at the sky

Postby Kitefisher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:52 am

Thanks for the welcome John.I share you sentiments about who will actually win a ''tussle''of this nature,even with huge reels and line-capacities as per the picture below,I have no doubt in my mind.But,and this is possibly a worst case scenario:imagine flying into the drop-line with the ''seaward''(for lack of a better word)-wing of a micro-light.The drop being the length of line hanging from the kite into the ocean which holds the mostly light cable/steel trace.As the line is fairly strong and not necessarily severed ,what may happen in my minds eye is that as the line gets taught,it will start lifting the bait(upto 5kg, even more)and steel trace out of the water and this wildly swinging steel-trace,buoy,and bait, could well get entangled in whatever it is that miraculously keeps your crafts in the air. :lol: Personal injury is not excluded,and I am not sure what the stability issues would/could be.
Like you rightly mention the safest line of flight would probably be immediately over the shore-line.(again not sure of legislation,but always a treat for grown-ups and children alike :wink: )Just for interest sake,a picture of some of the reels used for kite-fishing,in the normal order.Penn Senators 12/0 and 10/0 ,1200 meters of 120lbs and 80lbs Dacron respectively,and two Shimano Trinidad reels size 50 and 40,with at least a kilometer of line including backing on either.
Stay safe.
ZS-NEL
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby ZS-NEL » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:22 am

Welcome on Microlighters Kitefisher. Bliksem, vir 'n Vrystaatse seun skryf jy darm maar hoë Engels. Ek sukkel even om jou te verstaan. Me thinks you must sell some of those "katrols" and buy a trike now. :twisted: :lol: :lol: (^^)
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Those are'nt katrols, they are winches. :lol:

Vernon, send me your details if you have a fish contact. The fish shop at Port Edward charges R89.p/kg for whole fresh fish.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Kitefisher
Looking at the sky

Postby Kitefisher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:39 pm

ZS-NEL wrote:Welcome on Microlighters Kitefisher. Bliksem, vir 'n Vrystaatse seun skryf jy darm maar hoë Engels. Ek sukkel even om jou te verstaan. Me thinks you must sell some of those "katrols" and buy a trike now. :twisted: :lol: :lol: (^^)
Tumbleweed wrote:Those are'nt katrols, they are winches. :lol:

Die een links bo het Jebb Corliss sy ''appy-ship'' op geloop, en die een regs bo ''free-lance'' nog nou en dan by die Gliding-club in Hennenman as hul Cesna geground is
.@Marius ,as hierdie ouens weet presies hoe ''airborn''-jy n 69 Volla kon kry, ''back in the day'',sal hulle , net soos ek, geen lugruim met jou deel nie. ##
ZS-NEL
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby ZS-NEL » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Kitefisher wrote:.@Marius ,as hierdie ouens weet presies hoe ''airborn''-jy n 69 Volla kon kry, ''back in the day'',sal hulle , net soos ek, geen lugruim met jou deel nie. ##
Let me just refresh your memory old chap. I was sitting in the front left seat at the time of "lift off" ...and secondly we would not be able to have such a cool convertible if it was not for this "short flight" puff ##

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
IMG_1903.jpg
IMG_1904.jpg