What's in your Pannier Bags?

Matters of general interest
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

What's in your Pannier Bags?

Postby John.com » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:01 pm

OK, OK, so this might be tantamount to asking a lady to reveil the contents of her handbag!! Eish!! :lol:

But, why not share that ONE item that you would NEVER fly without?

Here's mine . . . . . a pair of Knipex pliers (code 86-03-180)!

They are freakin' amazing . . . . relatively light weight, super high-quality, incredibly high "jaw-strength", and can be adjusted to most aircraft size bolts/nuts!!!

This pair was bought from a hydraulic shop in Brits, the "Technology Hub of the North West Province"! :lol:

OK . . . . please share!

vhpy
Attachments
Knipex Pliers 86-03-180.png
Knipex Pliers 86-03-180.png (35.12 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
ystervark7
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: What's in your Pannier Bags?

Postby ystervark7 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:21 pm

My favorite. You can clamp it to a bolt on one side without damaging it and you have an extra hand. It is also handy if the bolt is in one of those awkward positions that you can not reach at the same time as fastening the nut. Most of the other gadgets on the tool is useless except for the file when you need one in the middle of nowhere.
leathernamCrunch.jpg
leathernamCrunch.jpg (25.77 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 pm

Ya, those are really nice! I was not aware that Leatherman made a "vicegrip" type device!

I've just added these onto my Christmas wish list! :wink:
John Comley

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Zim Zulu
First solo

Postby Zim Zulu » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:53 am

"Air in a can" for punctures!!!! used once when my mate landed in a wheat land, worked very well!!! (^^) just attach to valve and let it spray into the tyre and seals the leak!! at least you will get home!!
"the world belongs to the energetic"
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:27 am

What I carry now always:

Mini tool kit
Cable ties
Safety wire
WALLET! :lol: (Hannes and I once landed at Aeropark for brekkie and we had both forgotten cash in our cars back at ML)
Water!
Spare Radiator cap!

What Im going to include in future:

"air in a can" (^^)
Small medical kit ##
Extra box of smokes puff :lol:
Spare exhaust springs!!!! (happened to me last Sat :wink:)
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 am

Good One! Thanks Bundy! (^^)

Water? To drink, right? How much do you normally take with for you and PAX?

Spare Radiator Cap?? Really? Is this just as a replacement, or do these come off in flight?? If so, should you not carry a spare propellor too? vhpy

Medical Kit! Yes, good idea. I have one, but due to the inappropriate contents and size/shape of the ones you can buy "over-the-counter" I made mine up specifically, comprising dressings (bomb-bandage type), burn gel, large format wound dressings, etc. as well as some odds and ends like Panado and Valium for nausea!! ^?^ Not to forget an EYEWASH!! Might sound silly, but it is small and weights nothing and might be a godsend in the event of a bug in your eye!! Then, I packaged it all in a waterproof "ram-bag" (you know the type which you fold the top over and then clip the ends together, which you can buy from outdoor shops?), which allowed me to package it flat and about 75mm thick, to fit in your pannier bag!

Thanks again, John
John Comley

Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:35 am

Water to drink yes...this is just a force of habbit in all my hobbies. You never know when you may be stuck in the middle of nowhere (possible injured?) after an "out landing" and to sit in the African sun without a drink is not lekker. :(

The cap is a long story... the old plane I used to rent to fly seemed to chew through radiator caps. They would leak water during flight...sometimes quite badly! (the resident AP decided this was normal :wink: ...I always strongly disagreed but hey what do I know?)

Since then I have always had a spare... I must admit that since we have had DBP, she has never needed a new cap. (now this IS normal :lol: ) But nevertheless, the cap remains in the bag :)

(^^)
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Good call . . . . for the size and weight I'll be adding a spare radiator cap to my onboard spares!

Thanks for the advice!
John Comley

Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:33 pm

Heya vhpy

Well,what I would usually carry is a 500ml coke & 500ml water,two 500ml's two stroke,spare tube and air in a can(more like tireweld :) )..cap for my head and spare set of spark plugs,cable ties,ropes and tent pegs..and of course the obviaas stuff like your plane's papers and wara wara ##

What I would like to carry is spare batteries for my gps and radio and a a lekka cooler box on the back filled with meat and cokes for an out landing..more like a precautionary braai spot check :lol:

On our Zebula trip...we carried alot of goods in our panniers as well as with the Tedderfield trip..I am really amazed at howmuch stuff you can put in those bags..ha ha..managed to get two sleeping bags plus some toiletries,clean t and the normal goods in the panniers..I had a pax,so no back seat :mrgreen:

Have an awesome one :!:

(^^)
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:29 pm

Hey Madman!

Excellent post! (^^)

Thank you,

John
John Comley

Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Solo Wings make a nice bellybag and oversized paniers for the Aquilla.

Mmmmm.. lets see... 50 litres of fuel on backseat.(2x 25litre Addis cans - MADE for the backseat of an Aquilla. And provides great back / head comfort!) In the belly-bag: Toksak with 8 days clothing., toiletries and various comforts, etc. Tent strapped to pylon. Paniers - left: enough oil for 1400 miles. A Bundubag with Vicegrip, screwdrivers, 2 X shiftingspanners, extra plugs, extra tube, extra exhaust springs, safety wire and footpump. Paniers - right: Tentpegs, rope and ratchet tie-downs. laptop. Extra batteries for laptop / cameras. Charging equipment for the aforesaid and 3.5 metre electric leadcable with long multiplug. Bundubag with dried food stuff, coffee, sugar, cremora, 4 litres of bottled water. Trike cover. Collapsible shovel / pick, fire extinguisher, refuel pipe.

Came in at about 85kg's, fully loaded. (!!) Amazing how much you can load into a trike. Weight is not the problem - it's like carrying a pax. SPACE/VOLUME - that is where the challenge lies! vhpy
Attachments
DSC01501.JPG
Geles, Wes van Piet Retief.JPG
Last edited by Asterix on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:44 pm

I also learned a lot from this trip in terms of what to pack and what to leave. Take HALF your clothes, to start of with. Since then, I now have one bag - normal sleeping bag size - that contains my tent, sleeping bag AND a matress! It is all trial and error.

Tip: If you want to outfit your trike for X country - go and shop where the Backpacking people shop - they have sorted out volume and weight looonngg ago! :wink: :wink:

Ask Bugwar. :roll: :roll:
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Great posts Asterix and Demon!!

We can certainly learn from you boys!

Thank you for sharing. (^^)

John
John Comley

Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:46 am

Another item I always have is a small torch.

And lots of Klippies and bogroll as per the pic vhpy
Attachments
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 002.jpg (85.76 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Parasitic Drag: A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.

ZU - forePLaY
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Panniers

What are those :?: :?: :?: :?:
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members