Trike Radio License

Matters of general interest
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Trike Radio License

Postby Smiley » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi there

My microlight is equiped with a "handheld type" radio. Do I need an ICASA radio license for it?

I was under the impression you only need one when it's a "panel mounted" type.

Your input will be appreciated! (^^)
Flying tha beast named "Wollie"
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
Bulletjie
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Re: Trike Radio License

Postby Bulletjie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:50 pm

You do need a ICASA radio license!
Dream more when you are awake!
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Trike Radio License

Postby John Young » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Gerhard Burger wrote:You do need a ICASA radio license!
Correct - you need a station licence. This applies to the aircraft - so if you own more than one, you will need more than one station license. Crazy. ##
Was a sEXY trike. Now registered as N457YJ
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks for the info :wink:

What happened to the days when flying was cheap....2003 :cry:
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Trike Radio License

Postby John Young » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Smiley wrote:Thanks for the info :wink:

What happened to the days when flying was cheap....2003 :cry:
Ja Smiley,

You have been missing for awhile.

The irony is that you will pay for your station license and never receive it. You will be required to fly with the proof of payment to present during ramp inspections.

ICASA are so useless that they have been exempted from the Consumer Protection Act. :!:

Regards
John
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:49 pm

You need a radio license for yourself,and a radio station license if your radio is fixed to your aircraft.You do not need a station license for a hand held.
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Neophron
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby Neophron » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:05 pm

nicow wrote:You need a radio license for yourself,and a radio station license if your radio is fixed to your aircraft.You do not need a station license for a hand held.
If it is a builtin radio, the aircraft needs license, if you have handheld, you as the owner needs license.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Trike Radio License

Postby John Young » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:08 pm

nicow wrote:You do not need a station license for a hand held.
Negative.
REFERENCE: APPLICATION FOR AIRCRAFT STATION RADIO

LICENCE IRO “ZU-EXY”

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

This is to confirm that:- Mr. J.C. Young submitted completed application forms, together with the prescribed application fee, for an aircraft station radio licence in respect of the above aircraft on 6th April 2010.

The application has been forwarded to the Spectrum Licensing division of ICASA’s Head Office in Johannesburg for final processing and the issue of the relevant license documentation, which will be posted to the applicant in due course.
Regardless of radio type, you need a Station License. Here's the Icom A6 that I had to register -

Regards
John
Last edited by John Young on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 pm

Yeah, that time of the year when I have to remind the Incompetent Communications Authority to send me a reminder to renew my licence. Already sent one email, sure lots to follow. Unless someone can post the competent bloke at the Durban office's details again...
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Trike Radio License

Postby John Young » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:17 pm

gertcoetzee wrote:Yeah, that time of the year when I have to remind the Incompetent Communications Authority to send me a reminder to renew my licence. Already sent one email, sure lots to follow. Unless someone can post the competent bloke at the Durban office's details again...
Hi Gert,

I trust that you are well. !!!!

Here are the details that you requested.

Peter Leonard - pleonard [at] icasa.org.za

Regards
John
Peter.L.
Ready for the first flight

Postby Peter.L. » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Good Day Everybody,

A couple of points in this thread require clarification, so here goes.

Firstly, all aircraft station and most other types of licence fees for the forthcoming year, i.e. 01/04/2012 to 31/03/2013, were debited to the respective licence accounts on 22nd of February. Posting of renewal notices would have commenced the following week, beginning Monday 27th, and I am aware that some have already been delivered. If you have not yet received yours, it is likely in the post but if you have not received it by, say, the 3rd week of March, please make enquiries. Don't forget that, although ICASA does send renewal notices to the vast majority of licence holders, in terms of the relevant legislation it is actually your responsibility to ensure that the licence fees are paid on time, regardless of whether or not you actually receive a renewal and, as we all know only too well, documents have a nasty habit of wandering from their projected flight path in RSA. We have already had an example of licences being summarily cancelled due to non-payment of fees back in March of last year, which caused a lot of grief and PT to a good few aircraft owners/operators insofar as getting the fees paid and the licences re-instated. Let's try and not have that happen again!

Oh and by the way, although I'm sure that you all know by now, I would like to remind everyone that the annual licence fee will increase to R120.00 with effect from 1st April 2012.

Secondly, the matter of handheld radios needs addressing. There seems to be a misconception in some quarters that a handheld is not required to be reflected on a licence. This is totally incorrect! With a very few exceptions, the law requires ALL radiocommunication equipment to be properly licenced, either on an individual basis or as part of a bigger installation. No aeronautical radios are excluded from the licencing requirement. A handheld, therefore, may be licenced as a stand-alone radio carried on a particular aircraft as the sole means of communication or as an emergency device carried aboard an aircraft with a variety of other communication equipment. The respective radio licence must identify the handheld as the sole radio or as part of the entire radio installation. Typically, microlights do not have adequate facilities available for the installation of a fixed radio and it is therefore common for the pilot to carry the handheld on and off the aircraft when it is in use. Currently the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Radio Regulations, which RSA is a signatory to and is therefore required to comply with, stipulates that if radio communication is carried out from an aircraft, that aircraft must be licenced to conduct such communication. In other words and related to our own situation, the owners/operators of all SA registered aircraft from which radio communication is carried out must be in possession of the relevant licence obtained from ICASA (Please note here that this is not just a local requirement but is International law). This means that, as John has previously mentioned, if you have more than one aircraft which you use from time to time, all of them must be covered by their own individual radio licence. However, it is not necessary for all of them to be provided with individual radios (unless obviously they are in use at the same time) but one handheld may be rotated amongst them according to requirements.

I hope that clarifies the situation a little. It is not the full story regarding licencing of radios but I think it will suffice for now, otherwise people may start falling asleep.

If anyone has further queries or is experiencing problems with radio licencing, please drop me an email and I’ll try and provide answers.

pleonard [at] icasa.org.za

Ciao for now

Peter
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Trike Radio License

Postby John Young » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks Peter,

Back in SA I would never have managed without you. !!!!

Guys - don't shoot the messenger. By way of a receipt or personal letter, you will be able to fly legally.

Funny thing during ramp inspections, show the SAP anything (NPL, AP inspection etc,) and they accept this as the ICASA license. vhpy vhpy

During the World Cup, we had plenty SAP visitors. At the end of the day, when asked by their Officer "How many ramp inspections did you do"? The reply was -

"Eish - we were there the whole day - just planes coming and going - saw no ramps to inspect". vhpy vhpy

Actually sad. :(

Regards
John
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:25 am

Thanks Peter for your informative reply, much appreciated!! (^^)
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi guys

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

I'm busy training for MPL but haven't yet completed the radio course

I recently bought a 2'nd hand radio from someone on the forum but don't want to land up in trouble because I don't have a valid license for the radio

Is it possible to get the radio license from ICASA without having gone on the radio course?

Thanks
Ant
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/