Do Microlight Pilots use Checklists?

Matters of general interest
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Do Microlight Pilots use Checklists?

Postby John.com » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:43 pm

As someone who uses checklists in everyday life, including flying, I was recently astounded to hear a couple of experienced pilots "talk down checklists" when it came to microlighting!

OK, so I can understand that in an open cockpit a "checklist" per se becomes somewhat difficult to manage, but what about on the ground, when doing route planning, pre-flights, etc. etc.

Quote topical right now may be (at a flight-planning stage): "Am I sure that the approaches to airstrips have no obstacles (wires)?", or maybe, "Does my route allow me to remain at least 200ft AGL at all times?"

Surely it cannot be suggested that microlight pilots can remember it all, especially when it comes to wing, airframe and engine checks?

If checklists are routine for PPL/GA aircraft, why should LSA/microlights be any different?

I would value the opinions of some experienced pilots and instructors out there . . . . ^*^^

Safe Flying,

John
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Do Microlight Pilots use Checklists?

Postby Loco » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Great topic!

I would appreciate if some of you can post your lists here - I would love to copy and use them

Thanks
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Busy with fixed wing circuits now and realize the main difference between trikes is the formal pre-checks and intermittant checks in flight. I'm accepting the checks as a ritual but with flying trikes enjoy the casual approach to just 'trim - altitude - feet straight and approach speed.

Have to say my being slapgat in the past has made me more structured i.e. straight feet on take off, safety belt slapping me on my side, helmet nearly blowing off e.t.c. :oops: :roll: :)

Learn from other's mistakes. :lol:
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
psg
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby psg » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:45 am

Hi All
I have always used a checklist durring preflight checks. Its allways kept with a map in my side pocket. If wanted ill post it here?

Regards
Sacha
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:45 am

I carry my map on my left leg pocket, and this checklist on my right. ( just cut it to size to fit the pocket) In the empty blocks I usually have hand written notes on routing etc, minimum heights...whatever.

EDIT: Hi chaps, please correct the error on the frequency chart for the file below. Emergency channel is 121.5 !! :wink:

Works for me. Feel free to use it 8)
Flight Data.xls
(20.5 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Last edited by Bundy on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Bundy wrote:I carry my map on my left leg pocket, and this checklist on my right. ( just cut it to size to fit the pocket) In the empty blocks I usually have hand written notes on routing etc, minimum heights...whatever.

Flight Data.xls
Many thanks for sharing appreciate it! (^^)

Any other checklists that you guys use e.g. aircraft pre and post flight checks?

I see one guy where I fly (Freddy :)) makes a point of it in he's pre-flight checks to shake the eqhaust to make sure it's solid because it happened that him that the exhaust came loose in flight and could have gone through the prop (he has a safety cable on now but he still checks it religiously)

Cheers
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Funny you should mention exhausts - I am making a new posting under Technical Talk right now - " Those bastards who sell me this stuff"
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks for sharing Alan!

So glad to see others using checklists!

Cheers!
John Comley

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
cjkrit
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby cjkrit » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:21 pm

A forum member of a PPC website in United States to which I subscribe made the following checklist available.
It is actually for a PPC but the wing part can be deleted or changed.
Credit hereby to Mr Michael Harwood.
Checklist.doc
(86 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:11 am

cjkrit wrote:A forum member of a PPC website in United States to which I subscribe made the following checklist available.
It is actually for a PPC but the wing part can be deleted or changed.
Credit hereby to Mr Michael Harwood.
Checklist.doc
Very nice, thanks!

John
John Comley

Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:08 am

anthonyhugo wrote:
Bundy wrote:I carry my map on my left leg pocket, and this checklist on my right. ( just cut it to size to fit the pocket) In the empty blocks I usually have hand written notes on routing etc, minimum heights...whatever.

Flight Data.xls
Many thanks for sharing appreciate it! (^^)

Any other checklists that you guys use e.g. aircraft pre and post flight checks?

I see one guy where I fly (Freddy :)) makes a point of it in he's pre-flight checks to shake the eqhaust to make sure it's solid because it happened that him that the exhaust came loose in flight and could have gone through the prop (he has a safety cable on now but he still checks it religiously)

Cheers
The exhaust check is critical, and a safety cable (although unsightly, is a good idea). I check the exhaust bracket on my aquilla before every take off. It is a welded bracket and can be prone to cracking, and eventually breaking, which in most cases will be catastrophic for the prop. The other very important thing to check (not just glance at) are the exhaust springs. One of mine broke during yesterday's flight and Asterix and I had to replace it when we got back. These springs are very prone to breaking so when I preflight, I jiggle each one quite hard to make sure its still ok. They should each have a safety wire going through (not around!) them so if they do break, they cannot become detached completely.

I must admit that my exhaust does not have a safety cable as I check it religously....but I think I will sommer fit one this weekend.... :wink:
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:42 am

why should LSA...... be any different?
I do my normal PPL checks in my Cheetah....
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:46 am

A relevant and timely question. Before you run out of steam in the debate allow me please to take you back to 2009 so that I can fast forward you to the nub of the matter.

In 2009 I looked at printing some checklist stickers - it was a controversial suggestion. Many like myself take comfort in talking myself through that sticker on the panel whilst taxiing to the holding point. Those that teach pilots without lists feel that you need to know your plane and be able to feel for evidence of possible issues. Lists they feel make you gloss over everything that is not on your list.

I assembled lists and here is one representative response to the circulation thereof that made me feel that the use of a checklist is a personal matter best left to those that understand their short comings but who like them anyway.

"It really is generic, (like you said), and much of it is not applicable to Rotax 9 series engine users (not really applicable at all to 2 stroke users)... and also to microlight with fixed undercarriage, fixed pitchI(normally overpitched and under-reving in any case) and instruments which don't have colour codings.......

I have tossed this kinda list 'out the window', and teach the standard scan system. I find the checklists prevent a pilot from being 'natural', and my experience is that a pilot who learns to rely on this lists becomes a 'check-box-scanner', instead of 'natural' who learns everything by 'common sense' and knowledge.

My experience is that 'check-box-scanners' are not competent in the real world when things go wrong, and things need to be real quick. I have found that when I am doing conversions for folk who need a check list to feel comfortable, are totally out of their depth when there is no time for this checklist in a crucial emergency....

So, I just teach folk to use common sense, and perform the scan. Works on any aircraft, and it does not matter where something is fitted to each individual aircraft, if you scan, you will 'cover' it........."

The other side of the pool of opinion lies with most pilots who use lists for:

LSA

START AND TAXI
1. Park Brake on
2. Choke if cold
3. Throttle Closed
4. PROP CLEAR
5. Swing motor
6. Set on 2000RPM
7. Oil pressure ^ 2 bar
8. Oil Temp ^ 30∞ to taxi
9. Confirm windsock
10. Radio call intentions
11. Check compass movement
12. Turn and slip functions
13. Brakes working

PREFLIGHT / TAKE-OFF
1. Park brake on
2. Fuel, Avionics and QNH
3. Transponder to ON, then ALT
4. All switches ON
5. Controls, Full & free
6. Set Trim
7. Set Flaps.
8. Oil temp above 50∞c
9. Engine at 4000 rpm
10. Mag drop Max 300 Diff 120
11. Doors and harnesses
12. BRIEF PAX

DOWNWIND
1. Check windsock direction
2. Enter downwind
3. Throttle set to 60 mph
4. Transponder OFF
5. Fuel check
6. Temps and Pressures
7. Check brakes are off
8. Harnesses secure

SHUT DOWN
1. Motor to idle at 1800 RPM
2. Cut MAGS, Motor off and safe
3. Switches and Cocks off
4. Flaps up
5. Trim to take-off
6. Chocks fitted

HASELL
1. Height ^ 1500ft AGL
2. Airframe flaps if required
3. Articles & belts secure
4. Engine OK and set
5. Location OK
6. Lookout OK, 360∞

LIMITS are aircraft specific but as an eg
1. VNE 118 Knots
2. VNO 80 Knots
3. VA 70 Knots
4. VX 52 Knots
5. VY 56 Knots
6. VF 60 Knots
7. LD 52 Knots
8. VS1 32 Knots
9. VS0 27 Knots

- and on your GPS? - approach and circuit warnings info/info of the field you intend to land at

Best used advice I ever got - I have tried and tested it and it works
- when the @£$%^& hits the fan
- FLY THE PLANE BOET!

TRIKE CHECKLISTS

PRE START & PRE TAKE-OFF
WING - LOOSE
CHOKES - OFF
FEET - UP
CLIPS - CHECKED
BRAKES - ON
CAPS/FUEL - ON/FULL
CHOKE - UP
CONTROLS - CHECK
MAGS - ON
CONTACTS/INSTRUMENTS - CHECK
RADIO -OFF
HARNESSES - CHECK
CALL PROP - START
LOOKOUT - TRAFFIC
RADIO - CALL

PRE TAXI
RADIO - ON
RADIO FREQUENCIES - on RADIO
CALL eg BAPSFONTEIN 120.35
BRAKES - CHECK

RADIO LIST - Other Frequencies
list of relevant local frequencies

HASELL CHECKS
H - HEIGHT
A - AIRFRAME
S - SECURITY
E - ENGINE E/F/M
L - LOCATION
L - LOOKOUT

SOME OTHER OTHER POINTS OF VIEW THAT WERE OFFERED

Do you need a checklist?
It is a CAA requirement to have a checklist in the aircraft. I have done flight tests for a number of people that do not have a set sequence to do pre-takeoff checks. They therefore forget to do some of the checks. Some people also cannot fly without a checklist in their hand.

FREDA and HASELL checks.
I cannot find a regulation regarding FREDA checks but there is a regulation that the student must know their HASELL checks. I have found that a lot of students don’t know these checks. Is it not being taught at schools or do the students for get these checks when they finish their license, I think it is a combination of both. These checks are meant to be known by the student out of their head.

Checks before takeoff.
How many schools are teaching the students to do a safety briefing and a runway check before takeoff? It is not a CAA requirement in part 62 but it is one in part 61. Maybe it should be a requirement?

Radio procedure checklists?
Radio license. I have no idea how some people get a radio license. A student I spoke to recently had never spoken on a radio but had a radio license in their hand. Their knowledge of airspaces was almost nonexistent. They got 100% for morse code but could not remember one single letter (I thought morse code was not taught anymore.)

Anyway, as I said, I just thought that I would speed up the debate the the point where it collapsed back in 2009.

My question is - Should MISASA make LSA and Trike stickers and what should they read?

Fly safe
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi Alan,

Great post, and good checklist examples, so thank you!

I hear both sides of the argument. However, when it comes to lives being at risk, my humble opinion is that there cannot be anything left to chance (memory?), and, unfortunately that means "checklists"!!

Hopefully we will get further opinions and contributions.

Safe Flying,

John
John Comley

Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

I have a checklist in the pouch on my Flight suite leg.
I use this to scan over once i have done my checks just to confirm in my mind i have covered everything.

But there are times when i forget something and then I at least have the list to make sure i can refer to.
I do believe that when the Fit hits the Shan that the pilot should instinktively know what to do but that is just my 2c.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members