MPL - how many hours did it take you?

Matters of general interest
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

MPL - how many hours did it take you?

Postby Loco » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi guys

I'm currently on 11 hours and haven't gone solo yet - just recently started getting the hang of circuits & bumps (not doing radio calls myself yet :oops: )

Wondering how long it took you guys to go solo and then how many hours after that did you get your MPL?

I know if someone that went solo after only 5 1/2 hours!

I'm taking more than double that time and haven't even gone solo yet :oops:

Would be nice to hear about your experience & any tips would be appreciated!

Cheers
Ant
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: MPL - how many hours did it take you?

Postby Tailspin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi Ant

Just take in all the information and training that is being handed to you. The instructor will tell you when you are ready. You may think you are ready but back at t he ranch the instructor see's something else that he is not happy with. And do not compare yourself to anybody else, each person to their own, some people take naturally to flying others need a bit more help.

Just keep learning and soon before you know it you will be set free to punch holes in the Sky.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Kalahari
Survived first engine out

Postby Kalahari » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi Ant

I am one of the guys that went solo on 5hrs and crasched on 6hrs, today I wish I only had gone solo at 15hrs because it took me another 15hrs after that to regain my self confidence again, do not rush it, some of the best pilots I know are one's that went solo at 20+hrs.

I know some instructors that would like to kick you out of the nest as soon as possible, so the longer it takes the more frustrated they get, though it might not be the case with your instructor at all. I feel sorry for them, If he give him out for a Chappy, he must be willing to be chewed even if it takes 20hrs.

One day you will just out of the blue suddenly get it right and from there it will be downhill all the way. Byt net vas!!!!

Enjoy every moment of it!
Arrogance and rudeness are the training wheels on the bicycle of life for those who can not keep their balance without it!
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Everyone is different mate, the average is prob around 13-15hrs. None of that matters though. Your instructor will know when you are ready. Try not to dwell on it. Enjoy and absorb! (^^)
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks for the reassurance guys, I was worried I'm just not cut out for this because I'm taking longer than the 10 hours

@Kalahari - ouch that must have been scary having an accident just after going solo!!! Could you possibly tell us more on what caused it? It must be extremely scary flying solo for the first time hey...
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
Bulletjie
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Bulletjie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Ant, enjoy the luxury of your instructor! :wink: You are in capable hands. Just be patient, it will come. The day that you do go solo, is a day you will never forget!The smile on your face will be there for at least a week!! :)
Dream more when you are awake!
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:21 pm

I just want to say, I am an instructor and I have seen some pupils that have natural skills but there is no ways I will send a Student Pilot solo on 5 and a half hours (not on my plane because for sure he/she is going to write it off)!! I would say it is irresponsible.
Trust your instructor, he will send you solo when you are ready.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:21 pm

I have a general rule not to send a student solo before 15 hr's. I do sometimes break this rule when a guy is really competent. I had also made the mistake before to send a student solo and he had an incident 2 hr's later. Luckily nobodyngot hurt but it could have been different. One of my students that took 40 hr's to solo is now just as competent as any other pilot, he just took a bit longer but he now flies proper and safe. In a couple of years it wont matter if you soloed at 5 or 50 hours. Also remember that as long as your instructor is next to you youn can draw from his knowledge and experience. Remember that it is better to learn from others mistakes because you will not live long enough to make them all yourself. Fly safe and don't rush it.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Kalahari

Postby Kalahari » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:50 pm

anthonyhugo wrote:Thanks for the reassurance guys, I was worried I'm just not cut out for this because I'm taking longer than the 10 hours

@Kalahari - ouch that must have been scary having an accident just after going solo!!! Could you possibly tell us more on what caused it? It must be extremely scary flying solo for the first time hey...
Hi Ant

I was lucky to escape with only serious financial injuries, only had my self to blame, reason beeing: Impatience!

My instructor was busy training 10 students at the same time way back in '97 and everybody got on average only 20 minutes flying time a day, therefore the moment I got half a chance I told him I am ready for solo, BEEEG mistake. I tried to land on tar, ballooned, goose stepped and overturned. My instructor smiled, he was the Windlass agent at the time, he supplied my spares and charged me for the repairs, after that he told me I was solo, so he wil took me for a checkride and send me solo again because he had other students to train. I had to go and pay another instructor to finish my training.

3 Months later we were on a flyout, the trikes spent the night outside and the wing got covered with frost, we took off and just after take off the wing stalled due to the frost and we had another close shave, when the wing stalled the trike turned and we ploughed into the field next to the runway, luckily got away without damage.

Save yourself all the above crap and go solo when you feel more than confident to do so, the first solo take off is a wonderfull feeling, you can't believe the rate of climb, suddenly you do not know how to handle all the power available.

Wish you thousands of happy hours of incident free flying!!!!
Arrogance and rudeness are the training wheels on the bicycle of life for those who can not keep their balance without it!
Dobbs
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby Dobbs » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi Ant, I took 21.7 hrs. to go solo. Not ever did it concern me that I may be taking longer than the average for the following reasons -

1 - I was enjoying every moment of the flying
2- There was no ways that I was not going to get my pilots license, I had wanted to do this from before I started school and I was totally committed to getting my wings, no matter how long it took
3- The longer I took the more opportunity I got to realax without having to learn something new every time - OK so I am a bit of a slow learner vhpy

Waste no more time with concerning yourself with how long you are taking - enjoy it and relax, you will be surpised how much more things make sence when you are relaxed and enjoying your training.
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:04 am

5.8 hours to solo and 8.25 hours to scare the cr@p out of me!.... :shock: :shock:
The next time out I took an instructor with me for an hour and have been ok since then.
Don't rush it, you'll get there. Your instructor knows when its time.......... vhpy
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
MILO
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby MILO » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:12 am

It took me 21 hours, around 6 hrs a month. A lot depended on the weather and it was OK having the instructor around taking longer also gives you a chance to fly in various weather, crosswinds, morning, afternoon. The solo is amazing, I was lucky to have mine recorded & copied to CD.
The next part in the GF for hours going around in circles is the most boring.
I can't see how many circuits, take offs & landings, stalls, steep turns, simulated engine failures on take off, and radio calls you can make in 5 hours. How can the "feel" you develop happen in such a short time to solo?
Flying is flying, even with the instructor - enjoy every minute of it.
If you can fly today - leave everything else for tomorrow
The Big V
Pre flight checks done

Postby The Big V » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:38 am

Well, I'm somewhere around 30 hours - I've lost count! - and was supposed to go solo on Monday, but the weather didn't play along.
MICROHEADSON
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby MICROHEADSON » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:14 am

Anthony,
My advice is hold onto the instructors as long as possible. Use them to build your confidence .You may think you ready to solo but you are training at a great, if not the best flying school with really compitent instructors who talk amongst themselves about all the students and rather wait until they are confident that you are ready to go solo than you insisting you are....... flying is flying, with instructor or solo so just enjoy the journey and make the best of the training as it will always help in the long run
Zim Zulu
First solo

Postby Zim Zulu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:23 pm

i took about 15hrs but who cares!!!! it means nothing down the road when you in the hundreds!! but the hours spent gaining experience is so important when time comes for you to use that knowledge!! my first away leg we got caught on the edge of a storm and boy oh boy do you here that instructors voice in your head!! and at the end of the day when you are ready, your first solo is a day that you will rate as one of the best in your life!! enjoy every second of every flight and absorb as much as you can from your instructor! "its not about the destination, enjoy the journey" good luck and fly safe
"the world belongs to the energetic"