NO
95%

Total votes: 66
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Should RAASA be scrapped?

Postby John Boucher » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Currently there is a lot of drama and controversy being stirred by AOPA SA. As many of you are posters on AVCOM, there are those who are not. Seeing that RAASA serves mainly our aviation community, I would like to duplicate the poll as registered on AVCOM (http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 1#p1004621) Some harsh words have fallen, some posters "banned" for derogatory comments and at times some heated exchanges have taken place.
“Should RAASA be scrapped?”

After days of debating, the crux of the matter boils down to the issue of whether RAASA should be scrapped or not!!!

I, for one, would be horrified if RAASA was to close down as I believe that the move by SACAA to appoint such a body to look after the affairs of recreational aviation was a HUGE step in the right direction! I, as well as many other NTCA owners, have had nothing but prompt and efficient service from the staff at RAASA, so why would anybody want them to be closed down? The concern about licences, Authority to Fly etc that RAASA issue not being valid is absolute “hogwash” as every NTCA owner would have by now, “fined” after a ramp inspections at airports for flying without the valid authorisation document.

SACAA, have seen fit to tasked RAASA to perform certain functions on their behalf and until there is a better alternative on the table, which carries the support of the majority of aircraft owners, it should be left alone!!!

This poll is to judge the support that RAASA has in GA!!

PJL
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Should RAASA be scrapped?

Postby Thatchman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:02 pm

John, the whole way that AOPA has been represented is unbelievable :evil:

[self edited - seeing as though its Xmas]
Last edited by Thatchman on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parasitic Drag: A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.

ZU - forePLaY
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:35 pm

(^^) Thatchman ...

Your thoughts are democratic and that may cause a stir and maybe what they need....
Last edited by John Boucher on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Gannet
Pre flight checks done

Postby Gannet » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:22 pm

If it works, and works really well, why change it? If this is how 'red tape' can be cut, lets see if other Departments can adopt the same or similar models, appoint proficient personnel who do give a damn and make necessary admin a pleasure (or at least, not a major drag) for everyone.

RAASA stays!
Bushbaby Safari ZU-JXF
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:42 pm

What I do not get is that people think raasa is an orginization like misasa where you have to be a member. Raasa is our own form of caa for ntca, there is no membership like some uninformed people claim. CAA is understaffed as it is, if we go back that route we will be moving back to the middle ages. I think RAASA is doing a splendid job, I have hardly ever had better service from an aviation regulator than from RAASA. Apart from the couple of people at CAA like Braam and Piet, I do not think that CAA will serve our best interests. RAASA stays, it works. Why try and change something that clearly works well for us as microlighters and ntca aircraft owners and pilots.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
McCraken
Pre flight checks done

Postby McCraken » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:53 pm

No, I don't believe RAASA should be scrapped. If there is a problem with the legality of RAASA's function, then that should be sorted out by whatever authorities are able to sort it out.

However, comments like "...vote those morons out. They are a joke." are not constructive and do not add value to the debate. I am an AOPA member, and an AeroClub member and don't approve of the way issues are debated on Avcom or of the things that are currently being said in the name of AOPA. The process to rectify it won't be through these forums.
PA32 301 XTC
Cheetah XLS 2200
Bayliner
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Bayliner » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:23 am

My dealings with RAASA have always been a pleasure. Guys like Willem Grobbelaar are a pleasure to deal with.

Don't scratch where it does not itch.
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:40 am

Gog forbid they are scrapped..................... Will be a sad day indeed !!! :cry: :cry:
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:48 am

or of the things that are currently being said in the name of AOPA.
The direction or methodology of AOPA-SA has taken a turn (for the worse) in the last year or two. This is clearly due to certain influences on their EXCO. Obviously this will be repudiated or not answered as they are not accustomed to be in the witness box being asked questions. If they are to be anything like their USA counterparts, they have a very long way to go I'm afraid. Regrettably, I have had some forum confrontations with one specific AOPA exco member and personally am alarmed that their members have allowed them to pursue with their antagonistic approach. AOPA-SA have some really smart, knowledgeable, dedicated & diplomatic people at their immediate disposal yet they choose to follow an alternative path of confrontation & legal recourse. :evil:

This thread however is not to discuss AOPA in itself.... only to gauge forum members opinion on that what they wish or propose to challenge legally and try scuttle a system that clearly is working!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:59 am

Another Poll on AvCom now:
Can AOPA SA be taken seriously as it currently operates?
Was posted by PJL who is an AOPA member.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:14 am

To further skybound's post.... http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88433

I personally think Kosie is going to have to have a serious re-think and hard look at those who he regards as his right-hand man!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
apollolight
First solo

Postby apollolight » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:18 am

Absolutely not... RAASA are doing a great job
Mauler
Heard about flying

Postby Mauler » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:16 pm

I voted NO. RAASA should stay. The problem is that since the Civil Aviation Act was passed last year, licences etc issued by RAASA (or an ARO, for that matter) are no longer recognised by the law and are therefore not valid. Although nobody is likely to be prosecuted, the knock-on effect is that any contracts which may be affected by this (such as life insurance policies, rentals, sale agreements etc) may be void.

AOPA has demanded that the Minister take steps to correct this, failing which he will be taken to court.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Welcome to our forum Mauler and appreciate your candour.... :)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Mauler
Heard about flying

Postby Mauler » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Thank you John. I actually joined the forum more than 3 years ago. I haven't posted in a while and so it seems that my previous postings have been expired or something.