If it were up to you?.....

Matters of general interest
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

If it were up to you?.....

Postby Bundy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:25 am

I have often thought of how to increase the levels of interest/participation in terms of pilots within the Ultralight/LSA classes. I am interested to see what you all think?

Here's the question:

If it were up to you, what would be the first 5 steps you would take to improving the numbers of recreational pilots?
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: If it were up to you?.....

Postby THI » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Cost, cost, cost, cost and cost??
Kevin Fisher
Thinking of flying

Postby Kevin Fisher » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Alan, what about an easy way to access & gain entry to microlight syndication? Cost of acquiring a microlight, and maintaining a microlight does come at a cost, let's face it. So if this were 25% of the current cost of entry for example, would this not be more enticing and within the 'striking range' suddenly for alot more wanna be pilots - 1) to do their licence, and 2) knowing that they have a microlight ready and waiting that they have a part share in. Syndication is done successfully in holiday homes, boats, heli's and fixed wings - why not microlights? What's required is an easy web-site to land on (microlighters.co.za!), then a dedicated section where they can post their needs or hook up with other's also in the syndication markets....desired aircraft and airfield etc? Also, and easy to use and execute "agreement template" that can be downloaded, perhaps a little excel tool as well to help the new syndicate get off the ground and understand costs in participating in the syndicate.....once this facility is up and running, one could then look at various strategies on making people of aware of it and getting it known out there......"flying microlights/LSA's is now affordable to you"!
Leonvz
Signed up at flight school

Postby Leonvz » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:01 pm

As a MPL-to-be Kevin Fisher's suggestion sounds like sweet music for an outstander like me.
Aspects addressed are the reality which I am dealing with and trying to work out a way on how to overcome these challenges.
This can be a positive point of departure for a new fledgling.
Leonvz **
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:13 pm

For less than a reasonable new family car one can get in the air, do the legal etc. I don't think the cost is an issue... it is the availability of resources and funds!

I personally have a SERIOUS ISSUE with banks or financial institutions preventing the growth of recreational aviation..... why? THERE's NO SERIOUS PROFIT OR GAIN in it for them! One is left to one's own resources.... second bond, personal loan if you can, sell other loved items, steal from Peter to pay Paul.... etc!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Kevin Fisher
Thinking of flying

Postby Kevin Fisher » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Agreed John - availability of resources also presents a challenge, but I think the comparison of cost similar to a family car is exactly the point here. Most people have the family car and the repayments that go with it every month, so cost is the issue. A microlight/LSA is seen as a weekend recreational toy, - not something that someone is going to spend this kind of money on, or in a position to do so. This is why I think an easy to access, structured syndication opportunity may just be the answer for such an individual... vhpy
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:29 pm

When I started my PPL in 2004, I would get up at 3 in the morning, ride to Kimberley 200km from Postmasburg, fly from 5-6 or 7. Finish up, do a ground school lecture, off to Bloem to do business and be back at 5.30 the afternoon again to fly. This ritual was repeated over a period and often the weather never allowed the full compliment of time in the air. When I finished my PPL, I bought my Cheetah which I still have today... and yes almost lost it because of circumstances (those who know me will understand). Financing was a little easier back then and I paid R 186 000 for her. She cost me R 4000p/m including insurance. Motor vehicle HP repayments accounted for the other R 11 000pm which included my bakkie, my motorcycle and my ex's car. Well needless to say, the bike was sold and the funds left with the ex and I still have the same bakkie & aeroplane which are all paid off now! Even though I can afford a JAB 430 / RV / Bonnie or Glasair (payment wise) don't for one moment think I can walk into a bank and say - PLEASE SIR HELP ME! We ARE left to our own means!

Another point I am trying to make is the following.... if you are not passionate about aviation and the challenges it presents you then leave it alone. Apart from the safety issues of engines standing for lengthy times and one not being current adds to the stigma that recreational flying is not safe because rusty pilots do crash and hurt themselves and others. An acquaintance that did his PPL with me has on an on/off basis just kept his licence alive. He owns a Jab400 and the poor thing is stuck in a corner of a hangar totally inaccessible and parked closed by other aircraft. It is now a schlep and serious logistical nightmare for him to go flying.... He has oodles of money but.... too much trouble to get other hangarage 35km's away from his home. Your heart and mind must be in the right place and don't just expect everything to fall into your lap.

Syndicates do work, but I look at myself - I don't like sharing what I work hard for and have suffered for. I ceremoniously fold my safety harnesses when finished flying, I do a walk around, I fill in the books, makes sure how much fuel is left, put everything on their place because the next time I go fly with her.... I know in what condition she was left....

Different stroke for different folks I'm sure.... sorry, I'm ranting1
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
BOOMARANG
Survived first engine out
Survived first engine out

Postby BOOMARANG » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:42 pm

I think that syndication on a microlight is a bit different then that of a normal blik aerie. With a Microlight your time available to fly due to good weather is much less then that for say a Cesna. If I had a half or third share in a Cesna during the last months windy conditions I would still have flown a quite a bit. But with say a trike I would hardly have gotten my arse off the ground if the time available to fly still had to be shared by 2 or 3 people. I stood at vereeniging airfield today and watch a Cesna, Skyjeep and a Sprort Cruiser take off, but the conditions were not lekker for trikes and unless you were treally desperate to fly ,you stayed on the ground.

I also tend to think cost is the factor. R30 000 by the time you have gotten your license!. TRike prices have dropped so much that you basically can get a trike cheaper then you will pay for your lisence. But still by the time you have done your lisence and bought a trike you are out of at least a R80 000 . few people can afford that.
BOOMARANG
Asterix

Postby Asterix » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:27 pm

What John says about "leaving it alone" if your heart is not in it" is true. But I see this manifest in another way - (specifically on trikes)

A guy goes through all the cost of getting a licence and buying a trike. He flies for six months,maybe a year, and then stops flying. The trike then stands in the hangar, the motor rusts up and the whole trike is covered by an inch of dust. The wing looks like a patch of earth floating in the hangar.

My theory as to why this happens is:

1. He ran into a bit of turbulence or had some other nasty experience and then walked away and is now scared of his trike;
2. He got bored, because he only flew in the circuit / GF, with the odd trippie to Bapsfontein Tower and back.

There are A LOT of trikes rotting away in the hangars at our field - yet the guys pay their hangarage - so money is not the problem here. The minute you get away from the patch - the adventure begins - but I think some guys are too afraid - no disrespect intended.

We need to get the guys WITH the trikes and the licenses to start flying - AWAY from the GF.

My 2 cents

:wink:
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 pm

I think MISASA needs to promote and seriously push COMPETITIONS & there needs to be more of them..... this creates a challenge for the cabbage patch chaps but also creates general public awareness!

The success of the drives initiated by MISASA will only be as successful as to the numbers that attend.... for example - the MISASA "shootout" Fly-In to be held at Tedderfield on the 4th February 2012. Even if you don't fly-in, your attendance will be appreciated... maybe the bug will bite again?

The fly-in at Eagle Academy in Hartswater.... awesome challenge and only some 3-4 fours flying from Gauteng with Klerksdorp close for refuelling? Those that attended last year knows what a jol that was?

And so we can carry on and on.....
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby pietmeyer » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:31 am

Looking forward to 4th February. Any info on that day? What is happening but sounds like fun vhpy
Piet Meyer
Jabi J400 ZU-DUU (Wonderboom)
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:21 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17080&p=169615#p169615

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17077
The MISASA Microflight Africa "Spoilt By Choice" Aircraft Leaderboard Shootout

When: 4 February 2012
Where: Tedderfield
Summary: Aircraft to be entered in categories of R100,000 starting at R0 to <R100k. All types to compete in price brackets. Pricing to exclude VAT but to include a registered aircraft ready to fly with everything needed to fly in uncontrolled airspace. "Best in class" trophies to be awarded. The idea is to have a FUN day and share it with those interested in aviation.

Shootout rules
1. The same plane can be entered in multiple categories eg add instruments to increase the price. Do you buy a more expensive plane with less instruments or a cheaper one with more instruments?
2.The purchase price at the spec provided determines the category.
3. Cost (ex VAT) to include a hand over price where a licenced owner can jump in and fly in uncontrolled airspace. eg must have registration lettering, ATF, headsets etc
4. A plane of that type must be on display by the person entering it on behalf of the supplier.
5. The plane on display need not be fitted with the extras specified in the specification.
6. Trikes, Conventional Microlights and LSA Microlights will all compete in mixed price range categories that they enter for. The idea is to deliberate and give an opinion on what you would spend your money on. It is subjective but a good guide to someone that whats to buy a plane. What do I buy and what should come with it?
7. The "best in class" trophy will be presented with a citation that will specify why the judges made their selection.
8. The Judges decision will be final once the Trophies are presented. Contestants may submit objections to the Ed. Members may debate entries on microlighters. facebook etc Members may volunteer to join a judging panel for a category selected eg R300k to <R400k.
9. Event communication
- PRO : External
- It is in the African Pilot Magazine that goes to print today in the calendar, it will be featured in African Pilot in the January edition and in their Newsletter.
- So far entries are in for the JK-05, Topaz, SLING 600 and Foxbat these are featured in the next Microflight africa magazine.
- Flight Schools and others will man info desks
- MISASA info desk with Alex on Safety ( old mag's to be available)
- Com's:
> Shootout entries to be sent to Alan Hussey or John Boucher - forms to be placed on the MISASA website.
> fly-in breakfast - let us know if you are to attend - this will help catering
> braai pack orders - order in advance to ensure that you get one.
> MISASA Online Shop: Embroidered clothing, panel stickers etc will be on display to gauge interest and to take orders for display items and for extra caps, badges, DVD's etc
> All sections of the Aero Club to be invited to display and participate- Rob McFie to be the on site ATC and to organise and manage a PA system
- Competitions
> Mervyn to manage a spot landing competition and fun event itinerary > bog roll cutting etc
9. The Editor will not "Judge" but will be the shootout office of appeal. The Ed will have the final decision on all matters.
10.Donald to chair the panel of judges and to have a casting vote if the group of judges appointed to judge a given category do not agree. An award citation is to be prepared and will be read out at the prize giving as to why the winner is "best in class."
11. Prize per category will be a Trophy and a free full page advert in Microflight Africa.

Fly-in
1. All welcome open to the public. It is to be an aircraft show and fun day.
2. Prize for best trike and best LSA to arrive.
4. Air Magic have agreed to display their products and will provide wing tip lights as a prize for the most "spit and polish" on a trike that is on display. The lights will be fitted at Tedderfield on the day.

Photo Competition
Entries for the annual prize to be on display. The annual prize is a very very special helmet to the value of R6,000. This helmet is to be on display and the spec sheet will be on the MISASA website with photos as soon as it is made. It is a special Air Magic product sponsored by Paul Lintott for the competition. Yes it has coms and a whole lot more. Entries for the competition close at 11am on 4 February and the prize will be awarded and presented (if the winner is there) on 4 February. Send entries to nemo@webo.co.za All entries can be seen at http://community.webshots.com/user/alanmack777

Catering
1. Breakfast to be available (paid for by members/public)
2. Beverage to be available.
3. Braai's to be available for a "bring and braai"
4. Catering to be outsourced plus a sheep on spit to be provided by MISASA as relish

Prize Giving
1. At 1 pm
2. Best fly-in trike
3. Best fly-in LSA
4. Attendance award to all members present - MISASA flight suit Badge and Cap
5. Category winners - Trophies to be the New Microflight Africa Glass Feather Award Design but with Shootout "Best in Class" insignia
6. Other prizes to be announced

MISASA Committee Meeting open to members
1. At 3pm

HAVE YOUR SAY: EG - SHOULD WE HAVE AN EVENING FUNCTION TOO?

If you just cannot wait the mag can be seen at http://community.webshots.com/user/alanmack777 - it is the Xmas issue
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:31 am

Asterix wrote:The trike then stands in the hangar, the motor rusts up and the whole trike is covered by an inch of dust. The wing looks like a patch of earth floating in the hangar.
One must contact these guys, find out what the situation is, and get their trikes in some sort of syndicate, or a hire and fly. Everybody wins, and the trike doesn't go down the drain.

Maybe a bussines oppurtunity for someone, or an expansion of a microlight school at a particular airfield. Get two, three, four..... of these unused trikes in a pool for hire and fly. Just a thought.
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:06 pm

I like the sydication thing too.... but it will get complicated with all the paperwork...

If costs are such an issue, then Partnerships are the way to go I think. We purchased DBP like this and Stefan and I share all the related costs...hangerage, maintenance (according to hours flown) etc. The risk is also less for each member as most of these aircraft are uninsured! (IE risk is shared)
It cant just be Cost though guys? We need more "Gees" going at our various clubs and fields! Monthly brekkie's....small comps.... schools giving free open days and flips to the general public? More flyaways... even if they are just a 50mile hop somewhere?

The hire and fly thing for owners whose trikes/other types are just rusting away is also a good idea!
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby t-bird » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:55 pm

I think the biggest issue is that the general public are not aware of LSA/Trikes schools and airports.

Someone interested in Aviation would go to Rand,Grand central , Lanseria or Wonderboom to try and find out about gaining a license.

Not one of these places would advise the person to get a National pilot license or to fly trikes or 3 –axis microlights. All of them would say that you have to do your PPL.

The magazines on the stands does not advertise LSA airfields or clubs.

My suggestion is to sell the Missa magazine at the same shops that sell the SA flyer and African Pilot.