Whats up in microlighting??? Zebula invite from thatch

Matters of general interest
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Whats up in microlighting??? Zebula invite from thatch

Postby Dish » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:18 am

Morning Fellow Pilots

I need some help in understanding the current state of microlighters/microlighting. I was paging through a copy of African Pilot on the weekend and came across an article on Numbi 2008. The pictures were awesome with a parking lot packed with trikes, the Prize giving dinner had at least 25 tables of 6 people each, the atmosphere was brilliant and they were good times... the event had excitement and electricity, there was a buzz of competition and spirit.....

So what’s happened??

This year Numbi was great but perhaps 13 pilots? Battlefields while well attended by the bliks and coastal foxbats, (with a thunderbird) had very few trikes ??? what happened to the kalahari bash??? where are the regular springs breakfasts, panorama, microland ?? , when I owned the challenger at Rhino we had REGULAR Saturday morning fly inn braai's (rudy & agent graham vhpy ) - Kittyhawk regularly had something on the calendar??/ Crosswinds??? haven’t had a breakie there for a while?? Even Tribals hard work and effort on the can can weekend saw a minimal amount of pilots attending..

So what’s happened??

Is everyone doing their own thing?? The lazer lads ?? Springs manne?? The Greeks from Microland and others. Panorama boys, waaars die manne ??????? FROOT BAT – YOU and that Orange Duck of yours where the hell are you ???

I’m concerned to be honest - what’s changed?? I heard an opinion that Numbi's quietness this year was attributed to the fact that there was no long weekend or public holiday, but I don’t buy that. I know our microlighting fraternity to be passionate and excited about fly aways, was it not possible to take a day’s leave? Is the economy killing microlighting? I understand as well as anyone that moneys tight...is this the reason ??
I read the thread on bad airmanship at rhino but mostly took from that that the school is pumping and the circuit is busy.... that’s AWESOME. Is rhino the only really active school / field at the moment.?? - Plane agents?? whose selling planes and what are you selling?? how many new planes were sold in the last 12 months??

Instructors?? how many students have you on your books now, and how many have qualified in the last 12 months? How many continue to fly and build hours after qualifying - is the sport potentially dying due to economic conditions or other factors???

I would be very interested to understand what’s happening in our beloved sport and to that end I propose two things. remember the "dros" evenings we used to have??? Lets implement those again – Needn’t be in a certain area, but each region could host their own. How about a countrywide FLY Inn Christmas breakfast, Similar to a toy run where everyone brings a small toy to be donated to charity??

I’m interested lads, help me understand what’s going on and if A) its fixable or B) theirs a deeper problem

One of the biggest things that attracted me to microlighting other than the affordable flying aspect was the camaraderie, the buzz, the sense of fellowship in the ML environment. The pure and simple pleasure that each of us gained from flying whatever it was that you flew, and it didn’t and still certainly doesn’t matter what it is that you do fly… goodness knows I take enough abuse about Dishes Duck…

Or maybe im just rambling, ---- I hope so ??
RV9
DISH
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Re: Whats up in microlighting??? Are events dying??

Postby Air Hog » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:49 am

Hi Dish
We are having the same at our field. 3-4 years ago, we had regular fly-outs on Saturday mornings with anything from 5 (on a bad day) to up to 20 Trikes flying or going for a breakfast at Kokoriba etc.

Nowadays, we are lucky if we get 5 at the most and that happens rarely.

I miss those days :!: :(
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:07 am

Hey Dish

I would think it is also the Financial. That has a very big impact on the gus doing some of the outings.
The flying there etc is not the problem, it is the board and Lodge, the food, the Bar bill etc.

Just my 2c
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:13 am

Exactly the same 'quietness in the microlighting circles' here in the Western Cape.
IMHP......NO other reason than finances, or rather lack thereof.

Just ask me, (^^) (^^)
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:20 am

Noted tailie, the expense of the "peripherals" can become costly.... but its not like numbi is a fat surprise.... its every year, is it not possible to save a buck or a few ?? Im NOT judging or in anyway being condescending, please understand that, i just (as air hog says) really miss standing on a runway and chatting to herds of okes from all over... lagging about the flights or whatever - thats so much a part of my aviation fun...??
RV9
DISH
Tribal Croc
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Tribal Croc » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:25 am

Interesting Topic Dish

Like I said to you at Numbi when I started with the Microlighting thing all I heard was Numbi Numbi Numbi you have to do Numbi.

Numbi came and gone and for me it was a blast but a bit disappointing that there were so few planes and pilots (**)

I buy the economy part and I will also buy that there was no public holiday but what I don’t buy is that everybody knew about this event for a long time and that it is supposed to be the best event in the year but look at the outcome.

Our Cowboy & Can Can fly inn was also a bit short notice but it makes me think if we advertises it a lot sooner would there have been a better attendance ..... my answer is no :twisted:

I would also like to know how many new students are busy with their training and how many active www.microlighters.co.za members we really are. There are 79 pages of member on the forum but how many are active members?

The bad thing is that all the hangers are full of planes but there seems to be no pilots to fly them (**)

Just my 2c
Tribal Croc
ZU-ICanXplane
Bushbaby Explorer MK2
Tailwheel fun starts here

#exploringsouthafricanskies
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:28 am

Can I be VERY Direct?? do you think in any way shape of form that it has to do with the type of machine one flies. Eg Birds of a feather?? I know the bantamites are very strong in the Brits area but for a while now even we havent done much "together" flying.... i look at aeroden and the okes that are active are me, DH, BIG D, Taillie, Ian and Neale.. at best.... there are plenty of planes there that just stand, month to month.. ??? - could it be that theres a segregation developing based on faster or slower machineS?? because thats not Microlighting as i know it.... I know im slow and i know the faster ones will always orbit or accomodate me in the interest of flying with our mates..? dunno boys, i just WANNA FLY with herds of mates again ?!!
RV9
DISH
Tribal Croc
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Tribal Croc » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:37 am

Dish verstaan nou vir my f*kk%n mooi if you see me in my Aquilla and you are in that Bantam thingie doing hammer heads you land and watch a real plane fly :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tribal Croc
ZU-ICanXplane
Bushbaby Explorer MK2
Tailwheel fun starts here

#exploringsouthafricanskies
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:42 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soos the greeks se !!! verstaaaan jy nou my (**) (**) (**) (**) (**) (**) ** ## puff MOOI, ek sal nie, want dit vat omtrent n uur vir jou on daaie groot ding van jou om te land !!

For the non Greeks,

Understand me now wery Nicely, I wont!!! cos it takes about an hour for you to land that big thing ..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RV9
DISH
Hadams
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Hadams » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:43 am

Lets fix it! There is a fly-in at Panorama this weekend, please ALL WELCOME!
Henry Adams
ZU-CEA Raptor Trike
ZU-FTV Sling
Panorama

To be old and wise, one must first be young and stupid! And some of us refuse to grow up!
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:48 am

And theres a face from the past !!! welcome back ! first post in ages.... whats the details??
RV9
DISH
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:50 am

Certainly as far as the away trips go finances are an issue.

If you look back at the last three years or so I also see that there are more gaggle trips (for want of a better phrase) happening. Groups of friends who normally hanger together plan long trips away together. Springs guys, Microland, Riet etc

This was not a frequent thing before and while it is great, it does cost money so maybe its a choice between an organised event such as Numbi or Battlefields or a private adventure trip.

We should have more breakfasts though. Springs, ML, Rhino , Ntokozo , Vaal or wherever (^^) (^^)

Maybe we should plan a final Xmas breakfast somewhere like you say and everyone can make an effort to get there.

Pity that The kalahari Bundu Bash died. I always wanted to do that one ##
Parasitic Drag: A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.

ZU - forePLaY
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:58 am

Economics I'm afraid :(
I just got my license renewed last month, but still have no aerie as I can't afford the repairs on the one I have.
I also have a little one who was born last Monday that's taking up priority.
It's difficult to hire & fly, and I just can't affort to either.

I think many others will have similar stories.

Let's not forget the terrible weather we've been having until recently.

I really wish I could fly more tho :cry:
Plane-less
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:02 pm

I have been saving for Numbi ##
Now i have the right bird to get there :twisted: i will be there next year for sure :!:
Hope to have her Finished by End of the Month.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:35 pm

As mentioned previously I do understand the financial aspect. I also understand the timing and family commitments aspect as well, its a challenge indeed...

BUT

DRIVE in somewhere and have a breakfast, ?? bring the family ?? even if you show up just to Talk flying, more often than not theres a back seat available and even if just for a circuit the potential to fly.. ?/
RV9
DISH