GPS option? Good price!

Matters of general interest
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

GPS option? Good price!

Postby Bundy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Would this work for us trike pilots? Would have to modify a mount onto the profile tube but this is R3200 bucks!

http://www.airspaceaware.com/za/product ... are-5-gps/

Free updates for life and includes all SA 1:500 000 maps.

Anyone got one?
Bulletjie
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Re: GPS option? Good price!

Postby Bulletjie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:34 pm

Bundy, it seems that this only shows you where you are. To use it to navigate you have to upgrade to the Aware plus!
Dream more when you are awake!
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Rather get A Garmin Nuvi at R1500, and then buy the eNUVspace software for R1350 and you'll get moving map & air nav, as well as a GPS you can use in your car as well as your trike. I went for this option, and never looked back!
Plane-less
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:16 am

Gerhard Burger wrote:Bundy, it seems that this only shows you where you are. To use it to navigate you have to upgrade to the Aware plus!
Mmmm. Sorry didnt pick that up. :wink:
Never been good with the "fine print" stuff :lol:

D20... That Garmin Nuvi looks like a good option. How did you mount it to the trike? :)
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:25 am

Bundy wrote:
Gerhard Burger wrote:Bundy, it seems that this only shows you where you are. To use it to navigate you have to upgrade to the Aware plus!
Mmmm. Sorry didnt pick that up. :wink:
Never been good with the "fine print" stuff :lol:

D20... That Garmin Nuvi looks like a good option. How did you mount it to the trike? :)
Actually I haven't yet :oops:
My trike has other priorities before I mount the GPS, but I'll either modify a Garmin GPS bracket that I buy, or make up a steel clamp for it.
Worst case scenario is velcro :lol:
Plane-less
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:07 am

What do you fly?
Do you have a babana pod?
Byron Kirkland
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:41 am

Hi Bob,

Currently I am renting a plane... Aquilla 582 T pod. I probably wont be getting my own trike this year unfortunately but am looking at getting a GPS so long. Need to be able to take the GPS home when finished flying... haha

The owner of the trike will not mind if I leave the mount attached though when I'm not using it. I am looking for a reliable and easy to operate unit that does not need a Phd to program... haha

EDIT: Oh forgot... I need something that wont break the bank too! 8)
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:52 am

Got the new African Pilot magazine yesterday. There is a nice lookin gps advertised for around R2K. Includes updates.

Here it is ....

Airbox aware. R2089.00 incl. Vat.
Byron Kirkland
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:19 pm

These Aware GPS's seem to be a good option but I think we need more info!

The info on the web page, and even the manuals you can download does not tell you much, I have mailed them some questions, lets see.....

I asked questions like:

Is the weather option (using optional software) available in SA?
Does the track log save option include altitude?
Does the map have a "Track up" option?
Does it display other instruments including a compass like Garmin units?
Does it include airport info like fuel and runway drawings?
How visible is the display in direct sunlight?
Does it have terrain warning?

These are just a few questions I have after reading all their documentation, will report back on the replies!

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Sukkelaar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Sukkelaar » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:25 pm

From the owner of aware as posted on Avcom

}}What is the AWARE™ from Airbox?
AWARE is a low cost moving map GPS with an airspace warning feature, updates for which can be downloaded at no cost to the user for the life of the product. It offers the pilot key basic information on the safe conduct of their flight, i.e. their position and warnings of controlled airspace and other en-route hazards.
The AWARE costs just R 2,090 for the basic 4.3 inch version. Even if the user doesn’t renew old charts,(South African charts are not updated too often) they can update the airspace warnings free of charge meaning infringement-free flight is possible at all times.
Secondly AWARE has been designed with simplicity and ease of use in an attempt to reduce pilot workload in the cockpit; often the cause of airspace infringements. Complex routines, too many features and an unfriendly user interface are the hallmark of many a GPS by contrast Airbox has abandoned much of what scares many potential GPS users from using the technology with the Aware system.
AWARE gives VFR pilots a very basic approach to moving map GPS in the cockpit allowing them more time to concentrate on what is going on around them.
What does the AWARE do?
Firstly, AWARE shows your current position on the South African 1:500,000 scale chart. For the more adventurous pilot, other charts are and can be purchased online from the website. Showing your position on a digital version of a chart you are familiar with brings added situational awareness that a generic vector map simply can not.
The second key safety feature is a really clear audible and visual warning if there is a risk of airspace infringement. AWARE will highlight airspace in red and displays an information box alerting the user to the type of airspace, its height restrictions at which the airspace is controlled and the distance to the airspace. The AWARE intelligently prioritises and filters airspace warnings so only airspace actually affecting a pilot’s journey are displayed.
The AWARE also has some other simple features, which improve safety, but, surprisingly, are often missing from more expensive GPS units for example the aircraft’s relative position is always displayed on screen (e.g. 10NM East of Lanseria). This enables the pilot to report their position accurately and quickly to air traffic controllers.

Who buys AWARE?
The AWARE appeals to any pilot or navigator who wants a simple navigation system to do what they need for VFR flying, but isn’t unnecessarily expensive. Many AWARE users have the device as a back-up to a GPS they currently use.
The AWARE customer base ranges from para-gliders, and small flex-wing pilots and larger fix and rotary wing users.

What is the AWARE Plus?
The AWARE Plus is an AWARE GPS with added navigation functionality; again the route planning process has been simplified by Airbox, with users simply pressing on the map to create routes and add/delete waypoints. The AWARE plus gives important en-route information such as distance, time, track, bearing, altitude and groundspeed.
Users can either buy an AWARE Plus from our distributor Century Avionics or choose to upgrade a standard AWARE at a later date.
Users of the AWARE Plus can also purchase Fastplan, which is Airbox’s flight planning software for the PC. The software allows for much more complex route making, the checking of NOTAMS and weather, route profiling, flightpack generator and a weight & balance calculator. Routes can then be uploaded to the Aware Plus device at the press of a button. Fastplan also allows users to view flown flights, file flight-plans (Europe only at present) and many other more exciting features.

The AWARE range
Alongside the Aware and Aware Plus 4.3 inch devices, Airbox has introduced the Aware 5 and Aware 5 Plus. These systems work identically to the Aware and Aware Plus units but have an added advantage a larger 5 inch screen giving 32 % more viewable screen. The unit’s battery life has also been extended to 2.2 hours as opposed the 4.3 inch devices 1.2 hour battery life.

What’s in the box?
In the box, is everything you need to go flying with AWARE:

The AWARE GPS device
A home charger
A 12/24v charger for the aircraft
A suction-mounting bracket
A USB cable to connect the device to a computer for updates
A manual

Why did Airbox make the AWARE?
The AWARE was originally the result of a collaboration between Airbox Aerospace and NATS (National Air Traffic Services), the UK’s (South Africa CAA) in an attempt to reduce airspace infringements within the GA community and improve safety for pilots across the country.
AWARE has now been credited with a major part in airspace infringements success (32% drop in airspace infringements in its first year of sale) following six years on increases.

Key points about AWARE.
Bright, large, 4.3 inch screen with built-in rechargeable battery
Ready to go from R 2,050
Entire South Africa 1:500,000 coverage
Airspace updates are free for the life of the unit.
Simple to use

More information on Airbox’ other systems can be found at www.airboxaero.com/za or www.centuryavionics.co.za/brands.php

Who are Airbox?
Airbox Aerospace was founded in 2008 by three entrepreneurs, united by their love of flying and a desire to create better navigation equipment. Their principle is that the easier they make the navigation, the more confidence their pilots feel and the more they will fly. This approach to navigation has seen the company win numerous awards for innovation. Additionally Airbox’ contribution to flight safety has been officially recognised by organisations including several ICAO authorities and pilot associations such as IAOPA.
Airbox produce a number of navigation systems AWARE, Clarity and Foresight, each tailored to a different segment of the market; they also produce companion Flight Planning software to go with them.
Airbox’ key market is general aviation sports, but they also supply the emergency services and work closely with the military and other professional pilots.}}

Regards

ps here is the link http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79294
Kyk Noord
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks Sukkelaar!

I was hoping for a few more features, the "Track up" bit is a must for me........

I wonder how bright the screen is, VERY few color maps can be seen well in direct sunlight.

Still looks like a good option if you just need the basics but it won't replace a Garmin :)

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:46 pm

For the money, it seems really nice.p
Byron Kirkland
greenleader
Ready for the first flight

Postby greenleader » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:09 pm

D2O wrote:Rather get A Garmin Nuvi at R1500, and then buy the eNUVspace software for R1350 and you'll get moving map & air nav, as well as a GPS you can use in your car as well as your trike. I went for this option, and never looked back!
I do have a Nuvi 500 and according to eNUVSpace this software is compatible with the 500 also, but can you use it to navigate as on the ground. Does this map overlay not showing only your own position relative to the ground. I have mailed the developer, but seems he doesn't want to answer me.
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:33 pm

greenleader wrote:
D2O wrote:Rather get A Garmin Nuvi at R1500, and then buy the eNUVspace software for R1350 and you'll get moving map & air nav, as well as a GPS you can use in your car as well as your trike. I went for this option, and never looked back!
I do have a Nuvi 500 and according to eNUVSpace this software is compatible with the 500 also, but can you use it to navigate as on the ground. Does this map overlay not showing only your own position relative to the ground. I have mailed the developer, but seems he doesn't want to answer me.
Martin I have a nuvi 500 with eNuvspace and it works great, use it in the plane, in the car and on the bike. Good value for money!

O and yes you can navigate as on the ground (dis nou as ek jou reg verstaan)
Flying feeds the soul!
greenleader
Ready for the first flight

Postby greenleader » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Dankie, jy het my vraag beantwoord. Dit lyk my ek sal daai pad loop. (^^)