The Cape

Matters of general interest
Uncle Spud Murphy
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

The Cape

Postby Uncle Spud Murphy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:10 pm

Hello everyone, trust you are all well. It's been an interesting couple of years since leaving the UK and we have achieved quite a lot. Will tell you our story with pics later. I know this is an airmans forum and I may be out of order to use Hanger Talk but right now I am in need of a little feed back.

No decisions made yet, but we are seriously thinking of moving to the Cape sometime next year. It's that or Ireland so lets give the Cape a chance first. Problem is, aye no notting about de Cape. What area's should we look at? What area's should we NOT bother with. Should we go to the right of Cape Town or the left (Backs to the sea)? What is it like inland? Whats the infrastructure like? Municipalities and service etc. Just looking for thoughts and ideas ladies and gents from the people who live there.

Have been a little bit of a hermit now for some time and for that I am sorry. Have thought of you regularly and your names are still familier to me when I look through the posts. Flying for me is a dream that must stay a dream as I explained to Tailspin, but there you go, these things happen.

Go well all, I did enjoy my time with you even though we did not always agree, heheheheheheh ## ##
Uncle Spud Murphy

Telling it as it is saves explaining later. Alles van die beste
Go Vert
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Re: The Cape

Postby Go Vert » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Well since you are currently in PLBRA if you wanted similar conditions then the little karoo is the place Barrydale, Montague,Ashton,Robertson there are many more. But if you want a change the do the coasts. East coast is newly developed and stunning, comfortable. The west coast is nostalgic some times untouched, simple,cheaper,relaxing and you will not meet better people in the entire world. Cape Town it self is the best place in this solar system. Its laid back luxurious, sofisticated, stylish and the women well they just dont get hotter LOL. Take your pic
Uncle Spud Murphy
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby Uncle Spud Murphy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Baie Baie Dankie Go Vert. I will certainly 'Google Earth' those places you mentioned, however. Am I right in saying that the Karoo, although beautifull at times is actually quite arid? Perhaps I should be more specific in my research.

I like my fishing so rivers and streams etc would be welcomed. My misses likes her shopping, so 45 mins to one hours drive from CT would be favourable. Don't have a great deal of money for a house although we will be cash buyers, so property prices are another consideration. As a sealoving oke, I would love to live next to it, but reality tells me to be more realistic. Are there any places you can name along the East and West coast we can look at? Have looked all over on Google Earth but it would be helpful to narrow things down a bit.

Once again, baie baie dankie for your reply and suggestins. Most welcomed.

Alles van die beste
Uncle Spud Murphy

vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:34 pm

I know you said Cape Town. The east coast was mentioned. A little further up the East Coast, comes the lovely Natal South coast. Am in a little town Port Edward. I love it here.
Vernon.
Uncle Spud Murphy
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby Uncle Spud Murphy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Greetings Vernon11. Does that mean there's 10 more b4 you?? Just a thought heheheh.

Right be serious. Tell me more about Port Edward please. How far from Cape Town etc and why do you like it there? What makes it so special? The next move we make has to be the right one for the right reasons. Everything helps so baie baie dankie mnr.

Alles van de beste
Uncle Spud Murphy

DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Hey Uncle Spud, Welcome back!

Port Edward is way far from Cape Town ;) Look on Google Earth! South Coast of Natal...

I personally prefer the green of the Natal South Coast as opposed to the arid Western Cape, a lot of green, a lot of spiders and other goggos...

The Western Cape (aka Cape Town and surrounds) is just sand and wanna be coast, the water is cold, not lekka for swimming. Natal on the other hand is wet and humid and you have to mow the lawn every day and weed the invaders.

You cannot have your cake and eat it. I suggest you take a trip and go around the country and decide where you want to settle
Go Vert
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Go Vert » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:08 pm

vernon11 wrote:I know you said Cape Town. The east coast was mentioned. A little further up the East Coast, comes the lovely Natal South coast. Am in a little town Port Edward. I love it here.
Vernon.

Stunning place, only problem is the Rugby team sucks lol sorry had to
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:35 am

Go Vert wrote:
vernon11 wrote:I know you said Cape Town. The east coast was mentioned. A little further up the East Coast, comes the lovely Natal South coast. Am in a little town Port Edward. I love it here.
Vernon.

I agree Go Vert - the Stormers suck!
Go Vert
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Go Vert » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:03 am

DarkHelmet wrote:
Go Vert wrote:
Vernon.

I agree Go Vert - the Stormers suck!

I was talking about natal and the sharks you dark helmet LOL
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:10 am

Mosselbay... the most temperate climate in South Africa. Fishing is good. From what I hear its developed and there are lots of shops. Its becoming popular with people who do not have to live where they work.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Uncle Spud Murphy
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby Uncle Spud Murphy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:30 am

Lost it so start again. Glad to see that we are getting away from the rugby threats. I'm Sharks by the way, hah!!

Thanks Biggles, I think you may have found our next nest. Looked up Mossel on internet and google and so far it's ticking the boxes. Property is affordable and the shopping facilities ample for the missis. Town looks good too on Google Earth, nicely laid out and the climate reads promising. I take note about what you said Dark Helmet but this is an English sotie and I do want my cake and eat it, why not? Worked hard enough in my life for it and put up with a lot of shit from some of the cretins I had to work with and I'm NOT talking about prisoners.

Only thing I need to find out now is the general cost of living in Mossel. Are the locals expected to pay what the crockles do or is the cost of living roughly what it is elswhere in SA? We used to live on a holiday island in Uk and the col was about the same except for transport levies for being an island.

Baai dankie, baie dankie indeed Biggles. Am very greatful for your comment and interest. Go well my friend and enjoy your next trip in the clouds. Alles van die beste
Uncle Spud Murphy

vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:50 pm

I shall not utter a word about the teams, Except we are going to trash everyone.

Uncle Spud, If you come down for a day or two, to check the place out, My house is open to you.
To answer your question. It is a small town, that I have been coming to, since 1972. I have been retired here for the past 11yrs. As anywhere else, we have to put up with the normal pot holes etc. It is very laid back. lovely beach, and plenty of fishing spots. There are properties close to the sea available. A couple of good pubs. The bigger shops are at Margate, and Shelly beach About 35 and 40klm Respectivly. As for, How far from Cape Town. I am not sure, But a long days drive. Check out on google
Cheers for now.
Vernon.
My No, should you need it.
Uncle Spud Murphy
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby Uncle Spud Murphy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi de hi again vhpy

Have recently got off the phone to vernon11 expressing my gratitude for his most generous offer. Words fail me and I hope that one day I can return the favour. Thanks Vernon, thank you very, very much =D*

Thanks to the feedback, Mossel Bay is becoming a serious consideration so once again I ask for assistance. Does anybody know anybody who actually lives there? I would be most anxious to talk to him/her/them. My Skype address is papajerry1627 and home number is 015781-2119. Ever had that feeling of dajavue? Last time I headed down this trail I ended up in South Africa (**)

Go well everyone alles van die beste (^^) (^^) (^^)
Uncle Spud Murphy

CFD
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby CFD » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:05 pm

You could try Loeriesfontein but it might be a bit full at the moment - Boet still lives there! vhpy
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Nice chatting to you Spud. You are more then welcome. I certainly hope we do get to meet.
Vernon. (^^) (^^)