Learning to fly trikes for a quadraplegic

Matters of general interest
mapit
Heard about flying

Learning to fly trikes for a quadraplegic

Postby mapit » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:17 pm

I have a friend who is a quadraplegic with reasonable arm function. He has a PPL and was a top sky diver and desperately wants to fly again. One of the things he is considering is learning to fly a trike - apparently there is a guy in the US with a similar disability who has had a trike customised and is flying.

Does anyone know how best to get him started in SA?
Cali
Survived second engine out

Postby Cali » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:27 pm

I read about that guy. Tell your friend I will do some research and let you know.
Only some minor mods and there he goes.
Airborne Edge X
32-4331
"BLUEY"
C205
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby C205 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:05 am

Hi Mapit. I just wrote a lengthy reply and then managed to lose/delete it all. Here's the gist:
Your friend should contact the Disabled Aviation Association of Aero Club. Their phone number is in January's issue of African Pilot. I will get it tonight and post it. The contact person is Arthur Peircy.
Also see http://flightability.bizland.com/.
Your friend may like to contact Clyde Holland, a well known past skydiver, quadraplegic, PPL and still very active in the skydiving circles. He is at JSC. I have heard of a paraplegic trike pilot at Groblersdal, anyone have more info? Apparently they used castor wheels from a roller blade/skate to modify the trike.
Your friend will have a minor hitch with the medical. He will have to prove to the Aviation Medicine Board and the CAA that he can control the trike before he can fly solo. I (also a past skydiver) had to do a test flight with a second instructor and then we had to write a letter to them confirming that I can fly. Not a prob really, just time consuming.
Since I am facing a similar scenario (not a quad - YET) I would be very interested in the outcome. The main problem I see is working the foot throttle and taxying at low speeds, once the wing flies its not really a problem.
Good luck :)
J
BTW - Bantam advertises that they can convert their product for the disabled.
Quicksilver MXII ZS-VAP
Quicksilver MXII ZU-BOW
FAWI 123.5
C205
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby C205 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:51 am

Quicksilver MXII ZS-VAP
Quicksilver MXII ZU-BOW
FAWI 123.5
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:56 pm

We have looked at the option of converting a trike for para/quadraplegics for some time, but the steering on a trike is a definite draw-back.

The dragonfly can be converted for hand controls quite easily, and many of the other 3-axis aircraft have the option, but I don't think that it is honestly a good option for a trike. The positioning of break, throttle, and steering, PPT etc when flying a base bar is just that much more difficult. Not impossible, but 3-axis are just that much more proven.

It is possible to do hang gliding, especcially aero-towing as a quadraplegic, but then you don't have the problem with steering, power or break. You take off from a dolley, and land on castor wheels on the runway. You can even mountain-launch with castors on the keel and base-tube, if you have someone to help.

One of the regular visitors to our airfield is having his 3-axis glider converted to hand-control, and the gliding community seems quite supportive and geared towards paraplegics
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:19 pm

BTW - Bantam advertises that they can convert their product for the disabled.
I visited Andrew Pappas at Bantam City in Sept. Last year and stayed with Andre Goosen, a Paraplegic who runs a guest house in Nelspruit. Andre owned a Bantam which as converted by Andrew for hand control on rudder. Andre has subsequently sold the plane, but the mechanism was still in Andrew's hanger.

Andre said that the only tricky bit was getting in and out, and the biggest drawback was that he was pretty much stranded when arriving at other airfields and on bush flyaways (no wheelchair). Otherwise he really enjoyed flying the Bantam.
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:55 pm

Gideon the Rotax doctor at Tedderfield converted a Challenger a few years ago. The wheelchair was modified to serve as a passenger seat. Once you reach your destination you can use the seat as a wheel chair.
Junkie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Junkie » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:58 pm

A trailing link frontend on the trike - a la MAINAIR, is just the thing. I seem to recall someone in the UK having done this
J.U.N.K.I.E 's
Finest used aviation parts in all the Universe
No credit / No returns
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Saw a guy in England

Postby ZULU1 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:22 pm

Last year saw a Bloke flying a Pegasus something, flew it solo as he had some contraption to steer it on the ground.
Based at Shifnal. Shropshire. M6 then M54 west to Telford.

Cheers Paul
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
C205
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby C205 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:26 am

On flightability website the paraplegic author flies a Cosmos trike adapted by the manufacturer. A stick is used to steer on the ground - pull back to turn left and push forward to turn right. A hand brake mechanism replaces the foot brake. A motorcycle-type twist grip throttle on the bar replaces the foot pedal (could be a problem for a quad with limited hand function). His wheelchair is folded up and mounted onto the side of the trike, giving him mobility at his destination.
If there's a will there's a way and when it comes to flying there's normally a way.
My good friend is chief pilot at Witbank Skydiving Club and is missing a left hand. He holds a CPL, flies a C205, C206T and a C210T without a problem. With a little ingenuity and some adaptation he's a better pilot than many others - Velocity can concur.
:)
Quicksilver MXII ZS-VAP
Quicksilver MXII ZU-BOW
FAWI 123.5
Cali

Postby Cali » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:52 am

C205 wrote:On flightability website the paraplegic author flies a Cosmos trike adapted by the manufacturer. A stick is used to steer on the ground - pull back to turn left and push forward to turn right. A hand brake mechanism replaces the foot brake. A motorcycle-type twist grip throttle on the bar replaces the foot pedal (could be a problem for a quad with limited hand function). His wheelchair is folded up and mounted onto the side of the trike, giving him mobility at his destination.
If there's a will there's a way and when it comes to flying there's normally a way.
My good friend is chief pilot at Witbank Skydiving Club and is missing a left hand. He holds a CPL, flies a C205, C206T and a C210T without a problem. With a little ingenuity and some adaptation he's a better pilot than many others - Velocity can concur.
:)
Thats the one I was talking about.
Thanks C205 you beat me to him.
Airborne Edge X
32-4331
"BLUEY"
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:40 pm

One of the Springs pilots only has one leg. The trike was modified and he breaks with a handbreak. Perfect!

Fred Blokland helped him at his school. Phone, maybe he can help him to??

Cell: 083 256 1873
Flying tha beast named "Wollie"
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40