My first M/L

Matters of general interest
salem
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

My first M/L

Postby salem » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:44 pm

Can anyone out there remember the Ron Wheeler Scout? I bought one as my first M/L in 1985 in Dbn for R150 :lol: without an engine. I then proceeded to fit a Cuyuna 43hp motor on it. On a beautiful Saturday morning I tried to fly it at Cato Ridge. After the longest take-off in the history of microlighting, the aerie flew 2 inches off the ground :oops: for a total distance of about 2 feet. So back to the drawing board it went. Fitted a smaller motor (much smaller) :oops: and added rudders for wing-warping longitudinal control and it was back to Cato Ridge for the hairiest circuit I have ever flown. I would have packed-up my M/L career there and then but as good fortune would have it a used MAC-CDL come up for sale. I have flown the type ever since.
Yesterday, while browsing the net,I came across a photo of the old Wheeler Scout which brought back memories. I would like to hear from anyone out there who actually flew this aerie without getting creamed. PICS Below. A short description follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron Wheeler, a hang glider manufacturer of Sydney, Australia, fitted an 8 hp engine to his Tweetie tapered wing, tail plane equipped hang glider and undertook the first flights of his Scout in June 1975, starting series production of this aircraft soon after. The Scout was the world's first commercially available powered 'minimum' aircraft – rigid wing rather than a Rogallo – and started a new Australian industry. It was a factory-built minimum aircraft that initially utilised yacht fittings from his local marine shop. The early Scout was an extremely basic machine, a publication describing it as "the ultimate in simple tube and Dacron design." It utilised a cambered single surface wing (rather than a full aerofoil wing), a yacht mast spar and had only rudder and elevator controls; and was easily transportable. The original Scout was underpowered but nevertheless, on a good day, it usually flew.

During the early 1960s, an Australian – John Dickenson – designed the triangular trapeze (an 'A' control frame of aluminium tubing that is still in use today) as a means of shifting the pilot's weight under a single surface wing to control the aircraft'.Note the 'A' frame and lack of ailerons, only rudder and elevator control in this 1977 Scout.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ZS-VFZ
Cali
Survived second engine out

Postby Cali » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:52 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
WOW I'm glad I was to young to fly back then.
Airborne Edge X
32-4331
"BLUEY"
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:41 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Looks like fun, but I would be a bit :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:17 am

Nice post. Does anybody know where I could read further on the evolution of microlighting? Seems like an interesting subject!
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:41 am

Saw Windlass #19 at Cato over the weekend. Still flying!
Live: Hillcrest
Work: Pietermaritzburg
salem
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby salem » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:30 pm

slysi wrote:Nice post. Does anybody know where I could read further on the evolution of microlighting? Seems like an interesting subject!
Hi Slysi

I have downloaded 87 pages of M/L history from the early 1900's until now, from the BMAA site. There is some really fascinating stuff in there. If you are interested, send me your e-mail address and I will forward it to you (or anyone else interested). I think it might be too bulky to post the entire file on this forum (unless someone can tell me how to do it).
ZS-VFZ
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:00 pm

Where did you find such a big hall to fly indoors.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
Cali

Postby Cali » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:34 pm

The Agent wrote:Where did you find such a big hall to fly indoors.
HUH???? :?: :?:
Airborne Edge X
32-4331
"BLUEY"
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:39 am

:?: Ditto :?: :roll: