The best oil for the job.

Matters of general interest
Bennie Vorster
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

The best oil for the job.

Postby Bennie Vorster » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:33 pm

I am battling myself sick to get hold of BP synthetic two-stroke oil in and around our area. Been waiting for three weeks now for the order. :evil: :evil: The only option is to move to something else, but around here, people are swearing by it and nothing else. What are you all using :?: And can I simply change over. :?: :?: :?:
Last edited by Bennie Vorster on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old is far more dangerous than flying !!!
Bennie Vorster
083 277 5110
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:40 pm

I use Castrol Super Chainsaw...
Bennie Vorster
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Bennie Vorster » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:44 pm

Do you get it at a normal filling station. :?: From tomorrow I'm grounded without oil. Can you believe that. :? :?
Bennie Vorster
083 277 5110
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:50 pm

In a spot I use normal Two Stroke oil

Caltex TT Super Two-Stroke
Total Super Two-Stroke
Engen Two Stroke Super

Should be able to find it anywhere. My instructor only used the normal garage two stroke in his 582 no hassles.
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:50 pm

Yip Castrol Super Chainsaw Oil, is the only oil the pilots from Springs airfield use. You can get it from a Shell Depot.

We mix it 50:1 (litres)
Flying tha beast named "Wollie"
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:55 pm

I don't recall us ever discussing this, would be great to hear from the Experts about this one!
Bennie Vorster
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Bennie Vorster » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:18 pm

Saw this one under another topic on this forum :roll: :roll:

Brian Young was nearly killed two weeks or so ago after being forced to land twice in two different trikes after catastrophic engine failures.

He says he is very lucky to be alive.

Please heed the warning issued by Darlene Smith, Marketing Integration Manager of BP Lubricants Southern Africa two weeks ago.

http://microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=1180
Bennie Vorster
083 277 5110
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:31 pm

Was also stranded for a week without synthetic oil, appears since Castrol withdrew the batch of TTS, all the spare dealers been told still 2 weeks to delivery ( or too tired to restock)

On Raptor's reccomendation, have continued with the 582's origonal synthetic type oil and ordered a case of Habot 2 stroke microlight oil from Aviation Engines 011 455 4203.

Couriered next day. ( Since then no oppertunity to fly)

Was advised not to mix synthetic with virgin oil, any expert advice?
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:44 pm

If there's a fully sythetic oil use that, I can only talk from ground dwelling engines, but when I switched to VW505.1 spec, which is made by Castrol with my Nissan my fuel consumption came down to 9l/100km in traffic from 10 and 6.8l/100 open road for a 2 tonner - fully loaded, it's not bad. Plus under load my temp stays fine.

I've now started using it on my bike - um motor bike and it idles quieter and MUCH smoother. Fully synthetic doesn't make my car or bike idle colders just stops it from overheating / stressing and helps with cold starts. Another thing to consider ESP with the 912S is the Turbo spins upto 150-250k RPM within seconds, sorry but there I'd like to use the BEST oil I can get.

It's rather expensive at 5L for R250. From what my buddy at the CSIR said there's no BAD oil just better oil, and with better oil your service interval can be increased and engines last longer VS.
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:54 pm

The 505.1 spec fully synthetic is the same spec which BMW, VW and Nissan use locally and overseas to allow the cars that use it change oil at 15000km-30000km and oh thats for diesels, but the oil can be used on both.

Now the only other things is, with a 2 stroke can use use "normal" oil? I will find out.

What is the EXACT diff between 4 stroke oil and 2 stroke? But my 2c point remains if u can use full synth.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:17 pm

In the 503 use Castrol Super Chainsaw. I bought it from the local Castrol agency here in CT (just look up Castrol in the telephone book to find the agency near you.) at R174 per case of 20 X 500ml bottles. This is one third of the cost of buying at the local garage or Midas. If you are in a bind you must use oil for aircooled motors because of the higher temps.

For 582 you need to use oil for watercooled motors, Castrol Super Outboard is an example.
Greg Perkins
Bennie Vorster
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Bennie Vorster » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:06 pm

I Found This.

One of the most contraversial topics in Microlighting circles is the selection of the 2 stoke oil.

Synthetic oils are great for less carbon build up, but at the coast they suck as they are hygroscopic.

Minerals leave more deposits and result in more maintenance with gummed up rings etc.

I selected the lowest ash content mineral oil. What do you use?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Dick Jacobs
Radio Call

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:27 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only one oil to use------Castrol Super TT

Sonex711
Burp!

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:39 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Davies aircraft, the guys that make the Blunderturds , have been using Caltex STT for years. They have one plane with over 4000 hours and still going strong. If I remember correctly, it's never had a lubricant related engine-out.
S25 55 54.80 E028 04 34.40

Dick Jacobs
Radio Call

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:02 pm Post subject:

had 3 thunderturds in my school never had lube problems---believe in TT.over 1500hours per thunderturds

zoofly
Helicopter getting close

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:03 pm Post subject:

i have a 4 stroke, so i guess my opinion is worth nothing here

waveflyer
Flight Planning

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:23 pm Post subject:

I have been using Quicksilver which is essentially a partially synthetic outboard oil. When I opened my previous 582 with 900 odd hours on it it was in fantastic condition. It is quite expensive though.

stefan
Pre-take off checks

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:10 pm Post subject:

I use Castrol Super Chainsaw oil. My 503 has done 400 hrs so far with absolute min carbon build up. A chainsaw runs at nearly twice the rpm of a 503 and they work for 6-8 hrs per day with constantly changing power settings. It's also a fraction of the cost of TT.

RV
1k poster

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:39 am Post subject:

As a newbie to Rattex motors, I am not entirly sure. This may sound ridiculous, but I need informed opinion whether Stihl 2 stroke oil can be used.

The reason I ask this question is because I have chain saws, hedge trimmers, lawnmowers, a leaf catcher etc, all 2 stroke, and I used to use TT, and had carbon build up. I also have a Johnson outboard motor that I have fed Quicksilver from new, and I have had her for 12 years, never a days problems, and she lives in sea water.

The garden equipment is mostly Stihl, and the selling dealer of all the equipment recommended even using this oil in my Yamaha lawnmower.

The lawnmower works hard, cutting 2500 sqm of lawn 3x per week in summer, and has never given any problems whatsoever.

I would, however not want to use this oil in the rattex unless someone out there has with good results.

I have noted the post about Quicksilver, and can concurr that it seems good. I have not opened the outboard motor to see because "if it aint broke, dont fix it". The plugs do not foul, and look close to 4 stroke plugs upon inspection. I replace them every year or 25 hours.

Any opinion or experience

Regards

Andre'

stefan
Pre-take off checks

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:21 pm Post subject:

Hi RV, I own a farm with most of the above equipment and i use castrol super chainsaww on all of them including my stihl mistblowers. Opened one of the blowers with 500 hrs on last year just to check, was a very stupid move, no carbon build up, wasted money unnecessary on gaskets and agents cost. Some of the mashines just reached 1000hrs and still running strong.

RV
1k poster

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:22 am Post subject:

Thanks Stefan

Regards

Andre'

Boet
Power off stall

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:25 pm Post subject: Oil. Again and again and again.........

Rattex 2-stoke operators manual: For air-cooled engines, API spec ("super chainsaw") oil. For water cooled: TCW3 ( Outboard super Plus).
And unleaded petrol........I belief the o`kes who WROTE the manual. After all they are the ones making the engines!!

nasser
1k poster

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:02 am Post subject:

At what type of RPM's does this engines run at The reason i ask is i have a 2-stroke offroad and if this chansaw oil works better than TTS ext and is cheaper , then i could save me and a few friend who now ride every weekend a lot of money....

Boet
Power off stall

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:15 pm Post subject: oils

I operate my 582`s at between 5200 - 6000 at cruise. Max takeoff is about 6500, redline 6800. The Rotax 2-stroke engine can run BTTW all day long. It has been designed to be able to do that. But unlike you guys on the bikes, we do it at a steady RPM!

nasser
1k poster

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:09 am Post subject:

Thanks Boet for the reply , well there goes that idee as our bikes run very easy to 15-18 000 RPM and there is constant rpm changes. Looks like i will have to stick to TTS
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:53 am

So Bennie,

after all of this, it apears to me that Castrol Super Chainsaw comes out tops for Air-cooled 503 motors. What's your bet?
Greg Perkins
Bennie Vorster
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Bennie Vorster » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:41 am

Hi Morpheus

Most definitely :P , but I got hold of Engen's two-stroke(Mineral) Low smoke oil, drained all fuel left, cleaned the fuel line and the carburettors and Fagga the Engen mixed fuel 1-50. :lol: I have done 80 min of flying since and still do not have an engine out, hope it stay this way :wink
Bennie Vorster
083 277 5110