Licensed at last

Matters of general interest
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Licensed at last

Postby Big-D » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:18 am

When I was 16 my father bought me a motorcycle after I had begged him for one for about 3 years.
It was an old, ugly, pale blue and white Suzuki TS 50cc, cost R900, didn’t always start first time (or second for that matter), and it didn’t go faster than 55kph but I loved that bike more than life itself and the day I got that bike and started driving the neighborhood crazy with that irritating sound that only a 50cc can make, my life changed.
The feeling of freedom I experienced was absolutely magical and a whole new world opened up to me where I could come and go as I please, and where the streets of Pretoria now became my new personal playground. I never did have a license to legally roam the streets but back then the furthest thought from my mind was that what I was doing was actually “illegal”. I look back on those days of “ignorant bliss” as some of my finest times.

Today I have that same childlike feeling within me – No, my father didn’t buy me another 50cc, I did however pass my MPL flight test yesterday morning and once again I feel like a 16year old boy with this great gift – Freedom. Not to roam the streets but to roam the skies - Legally – Yes, my playground has now become as big as it gets – That big blue thing in the sky as far as the eye can see……it’s mine and yours and there is a lot of it to go play in!

I started dreaming about flying at about the same time I started dreaming about bikes, but seeing that my father would not have been able to organize me a pale blue and white microlight for R900 I settled for the Suzuki at 16 years of age but the dream of flying remained with me. In 1996 when I was a (very) broke B.com student I met a Microlight instructor who promised me a free flip so that I could feel what it was all about even though there was no way in hell I could ever have afforded instruction or a trike at the time. He didn’t make good on this promise and simply didn’t even answer when I wanted to take him up on his offer - Guys, remember that it might just be another flip for you – But it could be a dream come true to someone else.
It was to be 9 years later before I finally did go on a demo flight in a trike (Aerotrike Safari 582). This time I could afford the R170 demo cost and I was hooked before we even got airborne.

My training had ups and downs like everyone else. After 3 hours of flying my instructor started showing me low-levels and how to approach the runway. This low flying scared me so much that I wanted to give it all up and thought that pilots were all crazy :shock: (Now, I know we are! :D ) – This happened again at about 11 hours when I thought that it was going to be impossible for me to ever land a ML and that I should rather be collecting stamps as a hobby – Pretty funny stuff looking back now and that’s the beauty of hindsight I guess - You realize that sometimes you must just carry on and not think about things too much.

I subsequently bought myself my own airy – A Aerotrike Safari 582 and she fly's like a dream. The colour? You guessed it, Pale blue and white. This one starts first time though but the sound will still drive the neighbours crazy. :D

Yip – The only difference between men and boys is the size of their toys, and here’s to never growing up and being a member of the ultimate club – Aviation.

Yours in flying

D

Footnote: A big thanks to the fine gentlemen from Petit - Andy Kasparson, Alan Piltz, Anton Grobler, and Jenya Zozhulya for sticking it out with me.
Big D
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:02 am

Way to go! Congratulations.

Now go and play HARD and SAFE. Remember....always FLY the aerrie. Never let it get away from you.

Duck Rogers
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
cornell
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby cornell » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:15 pm

(^^) =D*
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:01 pm

Gratz Big D!!!

I had yet another mind blowing flight this morning! I was PAX in my own aerie for a change!

ZU-AUY is unflyable and I said to her/his owner let's fly anyway and log dual! We flew south to the Vaal Dam, the WX was horrible but we still did the trip!

I personally am a patch flyer, I just fly to get up there, not really to go anywhere but my day has been made!

We came back and heard Jenya heading for Belfast and my heart made an about turn tumble rollercoaster just hearing someone I know on the radio!

The return flight was rather bumpy and to be honest I was sitting in the back seat thinking maybe we must put down and call it a day. We have a bottle of water and the whole day ahead. After touching down we were greeted by Porra and I took my little RC car through the Kliprivier underground.

It is really a passion shared by few of us, but a worthwhile passion for the freedom we get!

Yours in flight
DH
Robin Hood
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Robin Hood » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:41 pm

WELL done!!! Enjoy every second, even the taxying :lol: But please remember - fly high,safe and plan ahead
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:37 pm

Congrats,

Also only 5hrs with MPL, greatest joy is flipping my kids. Before, had no chance of them getting up at 5h30, now they fight for turns.

Also can be very quite, sometimes only one on the radio.

The freedom also somewhat isolates you, no mates (instructor and fellow students) to chew the fat, but a few to finish their X country trips this Saturday, so Springs, clean up, some distinguished (uninvited) guests will arrive on Saturday morning.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:17 pm

Well done Big D I am also busy about half way. Looking forward to be let loose.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:56 pm

(^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
Welcome to the Mistress most of us ( :twisted: ) call aviation. may yours be a long and fruitfull FLING :lol: :lol:
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:30 am

Well done Big-D.

That is my next aim and hope to be there by the middle to end of March (wx dependent!!)

(^^) (^^) (^^)

=D* =D* =D*
Last edited by Wart on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live: Hillcrest
Work: Pietermaritzburg
Chaz
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

CONGRATS !!

Postby Chaz » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:37 am

CONGRATULATIONS & WELL DONE BIG D =D* =D* =D*

Your's in Flying 8) 8) 8)
CHAZ
On a "WING" and a "PRAYER" (C.W.A)
AV8
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby AV8 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:53 am

Well done!
Now you can come and fly with the rest of us from Petit!
You can only tie the record for flying low.
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:04 am

Congratulations Big-D =D* (^^)
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:49 am

Congrats Big D (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) . Look forward to seeing you in the sky!!! And good luck with your own trike!
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:24 am

Well done Big-D

:lol: (^^)
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:08 pm

Well done Big-D. It is a wonderful feeling. To me it was the first flight, the solo and qualifying. Nothing else (aviation wise)will ever feel the same again. Different awsome experiences will happen but you will never get that feeling back. Time goes so fast, I wualified just after easter 2005 and now I am over 110hours.

I wish you many many happy and safe hours ahead. (^^) 8)
Greg Perkins