To Gyro or not to Gyro that is the question....???

Matters of general interest

If you could choose a Trike or a Gyro at the same price which would it be?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:50 pm

Trike
30%
Gyro
70%

Total votes: 30
Aquillaguy
Thinking of flying

To Gyro or not to Gyro that is the question....???

Postby Aquillaguy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:50 pm

I know this is the Microlight forum..... :twisted:

Have been flying as such for 7 years now.... ZU-BST

Any thoughts on the comparison...

Am intrigued by the performance/versatility and being able to play ALL DAY LONG! 8) 8) 8)
Can anybody give me a downside to gyro besides high aquisition cost?

I'm a hardcore Triker,but would like to learn something new in the realm of flight..

Andreas
You're alive, so live.
Extreme Freedom!
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:09 pm

First give us a breakdown of costs, maintenance etc, then let us vote. As for flying in all weather with gyro - old trikers please comment
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:39 pm

The inset cost to geta Gyro is ahell of a lot higher but the speed and comfort and no waiting for the wind to die down and so much more is just no comparrison but thank goodness at least they both fly.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
FlyGirl
Slow starter

Running Costs

Postby FlyGirl » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:44 pm

Approx R100/hour excl. tbo cost add another R100/hour for that I've been informed.

Essentially question is also ...

What can a Trike do that a Gyro can NOT do?

...A
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:53 pm

What trike costs R300K+ :shock: :shock: :shock: (Assuming Rattex gyro rather than RAF with Subaru)

PS
Maybe 3 axis vs gyro?
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby t-bird » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:14 am

To Gyro is the ultimate !!!

But to compare trikes , 3 -axis and Gyro's doesn't make sense. Each one of these aircraft have different flying abilities and there own place in the sky.

I have started my flying on a Thunderbird and it helped a lot in doing my GPL.

The main thing is to start flying . Cost is usually a big constraint . A trike is a lot cheaper than a Gyro and if operated correctly , almost as safe.

Start flying and stop comparing. You get penguins and pilots. Penguins compare and pilots fly anything from a broomstick to a kite.
Yoda
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Yoda » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:23 pm

I've been flying trike for almost 5 years now. Just finished my license on the gyro. To tell the truth, I will never fly trike again. I feel so much safer in the gyro. The wind becomes your companion when you fly gyro and its almost always your enemy when flying trike. What I love about the gyro is the fact that I can almost always fly when I want to.
The only disadvantage of a gyro I would say is that it dosnt tolerate a mistake on landing as good as a trike and also a little mistake can cost you a lot. :wink:
Yoda

Postby Yoda » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:29 pm

:idea: Just thought of another huge difference that I became aware of when started on the gyro.... It loses altitude a lot faster than a trike!! When you get an engine cut, you need to start looking for a spot a lot quicker than in a trike. You can put down a gyro in a very small spot, but believe me, its not as easy as it may sound. It takes a lot of practice to be able to do that well, because you cannot land like a helicopter. Especially if you dont have a head wind, your forward movent can easely cause you to overshoot your spot and then your in trouble.
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:44 am

Demon Wrote:
My dream trike - the Pegasus Quick 450
What's the price on one of those babys??
Flying tha beast named "Wollie"
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:13 pm

And a dream it will stay for me!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Maybe I win the lotto this week-end, then I can buy one for each day of the week. ($$) (^^)
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:02 pm

UKLotto is 85 million GBP :shock: :shock: :shock:
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Griffin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:05 pm

RV4ker wrote:UKLotto is 85 million GBP :shock: :shock: :shock:
Shall we enter?? If we win it we can buy one of each for all the frequent posters :D

I think you are all missing one important fact. Trike pilots are far more sociable than Gyro pilots. This is because they spend all that quality time in the hanger with thier buddies while the gyro pilots are out playing on thier own. :wink:
Eagle
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Eagle » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:22 am

I had the privilege to have flown in just about every aircraft type one can get. Very nice fixed wings like Beechcraft Kingair C90, Impala MK 1 with Bill Jones, Cheetah with Vladimir at Rainbow Aircraft, did some Chopper training with Thys Kuhn, I also flown in Gyros with Butch Brown of Magni and in the ELA with Anthony, but I have been flying Trikes the last eight years myself and have to say that of all the flying machines I ever been in my Trike is still the most pleasurable flying experience of them all.

I mean lets face it there is absolutely nothing that gives you the flying sensation of a Trike in good weather (No wind or turbulence) and that is just where the Gyro guys got the edge over the Trikes – they love wind and turbulence – I was flying the Africa Cup in 2001 and my two flying buddies was a Sycamore Gyro on the left piloted by Anthony and a Magni Gyro on my right piloted by Johan von Ludwig – the worst thing was that they were making jokes about me over the radio why I have so many hick-ups ( Caused by lots of wind and turbulence) Of about 800 km’s of flying distance covered only a 100 km’s was a pleasure the rest I felt like a little boat in the deep sea caught in a storm !

On the other hand a Gyro is very noisy for me and got lots of drag which in turn uses lots of fuel and should be maintained quite regularly. At an average price of R 450 000 not many can afford the luxuries of a Gyro. Maintenance on my Trike is quite cheap. Choppers an Expensive Fixed Wings are very nice to fly but the flying costs are just way above the average person’s budget. In conclusion if you can handle all the wind & turbulence and put a ballistic parachute on your Trike just to have that psychological edge and have it available the day you need it I have to say for me the Trike is still King !
Regards

Nic Prinsloo
Managing Member
Eagle Aviation

Where Flying is a Passion......

Branch Contact Info:

Mobile: 076 970 2758
Email: Eagle@connect.co.za
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:36 am

I have been flying Trikes the last eight years myself and have to say that of all the flying machines I ever been in my Trike is still the most pleasurable flying experience of them all.
I agree!! Flying over scenic area's is best seen out of a trike!! I LOVE YOU BABY, I LOVE YOU!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock:
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40