Renuwal of MPL

Matters of general interest
Cheetah
Heard about flying

Renuwal of MPL

Postby Cheetah » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:35 pm

I crashed my plane in Feb 2005 and have not had the opportunity to fly since then. The plane was a write off. My MPL expires in APril 2006 and I need to put some hours in to renew it. What is the minimum hours required per year for renuwal ?? :oops:
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:14 pm

Not to sure, but it's low!

Sjoe, I almost thought you are going to ask whose plane you can use !! :D :D :D
Flying tha beast named "Wollie"
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:45 pm

You need at least 3 hours as per CAA.

Hadto do the same while waitnig for my trike :(
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
loansharkblv
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby loansharkblv » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:46 am

3 Hours, you sure about that? – Factually correct or not, from a practical point of view that sounds very low – I would probably need three hours just to learn how to tie my shoe laces if I did not use them for a year….. :shock: Seems Crazy….Is PPL still 10 hrs per year?
Bryan Nel
Kwelega - East London ( 124.8 )
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:47 am

3 hours for MPL and 10 hours for PPL, too low to be safe
Greg Perkins
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:00 am

I think the new proposed regs (still to be promulgated), increases it to 12 hours per annum.

It is amazing that you really only appreciate that it is very low, when you start to do more than 100 hours per annum. That is when I realised that the 10 hours per year were keeping me in a danger zone.

Flying is a skill. Skills need to be practiced in order for one to be proficient.
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:03 am

I found that as long as i maintain about 20 hours per year i can more or less stay current, i also try to get as much back seat flying in as possible. Hopefully some day soon i will have my wings back -0<
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
ZU-ANE

Postby ZU-ANE » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:54 pm

The requirements is 3hr's solo for the year for both MPL and PPL. Just went through the same schlep. Don't fly ppl but like to keep license, I had to H/F to make up the 3 hours solo. All dual hours don't count. And for those guys who did a conversion from your PPL to MPL your are in for a surprise at CAA. They told me and my instructor two years ago that I only need to do a conversion an my PPL and the conversion is just kept on file, as long as your logbook is signed and the papers sent you are okay.

When I got to CAA whith my renewal they told me that I wasn't legal. Had to get instructor to do flight test for MPL and had to pay and apply for seperate MPL.

All about money and a lot off Bullshit.
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:33 pm

:shock: :? Am in same boat..... But I was definitely told otherwise. :?
ZU-ANE

Postby ZU-ANE » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:33 am

The dubbel licence is only when you fly weightshift on your ppl, for 3 axis it is just added as a type to your current ppl
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:00 pm

The legal requirement for your MPL renewal is 3 hours OR a flight test, and for PPL 3 hours (of which 1.5 may be from MPL) AND a flight test - both in the preceding 12 months before licence expiry.

This means, that in the 12 months (or even 24 months) preceding your MPL renewal, you need not do any flying at all, just do a flight test.

Remember a flight test is only valid for 30 days.
ZU-ANE wrote:The dubbel licence is only when you fly weightshift on your ppl, for 3 axis it is just added as a type to your current ppl
The problem above is one created by CAA licensing department, and NOT legal! They have no right to do that, and they know it. If you ask to speak to Rose or Claudia, they will make a note on their computer under your PPL file to that effect. If, however, you are an MPL instructor, the note alone is not good enough, and you will have to have an MPL license. As it is not the LAW, they issue this at NO charge, as long as the paperwork has been submitted.

The problem is that the software they are using, is written with the new Recreational Pilots licence in mind, but they are stalling the new Part 62, so it could be years away.

Until then, you may fly ANY MPL under your PPL, and anyone telling you differently, are just trying to get out of doing a bit more work :(

The requirements under the new law is not much different - 5 hours - , but even for a RPL you will need a flight test every 2 years, irrespective of number of hours (same as PPL)
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:33 pm

Fairy Flycatcher wrote:The requirements under the new law is not much different - 5 hours - , but even for a RPL you will need a flight test every 2 years, irrespective of number of hours (same as PPL)
Nothing wrong with doing a flight test every 2 years. I think one should do something like that anyway even before it is law, as it helps break those nasty habits one can get into.
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:38 pm

:lol: Agreed 100%. I like the flight test as it gives me some positive feedback on bad habits and always good to get second opinion, even if I don't always agree :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: