MISASA Membership?

Matters of general interest
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

MISASA Membership?

Postby pietmeyer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:59 am

Hi Guys

I have signed up with Aero Club and paid membership fees for Aeroclub as well as MISASA. I phoned Aeroclub and was informed that they send the stuff to MISASA and therefore everything can be done through them. After about 2 weeks I received an Aeroclub membership number in the mail. It is now more than a month and I have not received a thing from MISASA. I have sent numerous messages via the website but have untill now not received a single reply.

Am I supposed to receive a membership number or anything like that? I have tried to register on the website using my AeroClub number and no replies either.
Any ideas as to why? I would like to get something for the money we pay, even if it is just an email. Should I renew my membership next year?

Regards
Piet Meyer
Jabi J400 ZU-DUU (Wonderboom)
Tracer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: MISASA Membership?

Postby Tracer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:09 am

I received my new membership card through the post, the other day. (Are you sure you gave them the correct address :lol: :lol: ## )
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:56 am

I'm also waiting for my membership card-I paid in January.
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Ranger
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Ranger » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:38 am

I'm also waiting for my membership card-I paid in January.
DITTO
I sometimes get confused............But i'm not sure
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:49 am

Paid November last year, still nothing
Greg Perkins
Ranger
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Ranger » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:33 am

Have Misasa turned government on us? They are giving the kind of service one would expect from a government department. ## . Seems like it's another case of no matter how we bitch about it it's still not going to make them move their lazy arses. Surely there must be someone on this forum who is involved with misasa or knows someone who is involved with misasa or.......... wait a minute. Do they still exist?
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:51 am

Paid MISASA and AEROCLUB through RAASA in February. Still scanning the horizon :cry:
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
Oddball
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Oddball » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Ranger wrote:Have Misasa turned government on us? They are giving the kind of service one would expect from a government department. ## . Seems like it's another case of no matter how we bitch about it it's still not going to make them move their lazy arses. Surely there must be someone on this forum who is involved with misasa or knows someone who is involved with misasa or.......... wait a minute. Do they still exist?
:evil: :evil: Grrr.... the 'lazy arses' are not paid and they volounteer thier time; so get off YOUR lazy arse and volounteer some help. What many forget is that MISASA is an organisation BY pilots FOR pilots, not some 'us' (pilots) against 'them' (MISASA comittee) organisation.

Having said that I think that there is some sort of SNAFU here as well; MISASA have been looking into recieving money directly from members instead of via the Aeroclub, and that is causing some of these issues.

Remember that your membership not only counts in financial terms, but almost more importantly, in terms of weight and voice when we approach the CAA and RAASA- that's why you should join. Membership cards and other small bits are simply trinkets - the real value that you get is that MISASA representatives can say to CAA and RAASA, that this, or that, is what us type pilots want, and they must listen because we are the biggest section- and if more of you join we get two seats, and two votes, on descision making comittee's. And that means that what is good for microlight and light sport pilots gets pushed.
A lone impulse of delight drove to this tumult in the skies...
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby pietmeyer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:42 pm

So far it seems like the problem is only with MISASA and not Aeroclub as I have received their stuff. I guess it means no more MISASA membership payments form me then (**)
Piet Meyer
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby pietmeyer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:47 pm

Oddball wrote:
Ranger wrote: Grrr.... the 'lazy arses' are not paid and they volounteer thier time; so get off YOUR lazy arse and volounteer some help. What many forget is that MISASA is an organisation BY pilots FOR pilots, not some 'us' (pilots) against 'them' (MISASA comittee) organisation.
I would get of my lazy arse and volunteer some help but cannot even get any response with a membership number ##
If I am not a member, why volunteer (**)
Like I said, for my money I would at least appreciate an email either telling me there are problems, volunteers needed or bugger off. Anything but the silent treatment. My wife is good at that and it is for free :twisted:
Next thing she would want me to pay her for the that as well (**)
Piet Meyer
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi,

I am on the MISASA Committee and have volunteered to manage the communications portfolio. My email address for MISASA matters is nemo@webo.co.za. You can phone me on 082 373 4947.

Comments and communication left on the http://www.misasa.co.za website
I receive and respond to all communication left on the http://www.misasa.co.za website. The records show that Luaan Meyer left messages this year but there is no record of a message from you about the matters raised above. The member set out below logged in on the 15th @ 5h20 and on the 24 th of March at 18h34 to the http://www.misasa.co.za website but left no message. I have removed some of the eMail address and some of the cell ph number.

Name Piet Surname Meyer
MISASA or Aeroclub Member Number 16381
Email Adress meyerph@
Contact Telephone # 082 7747

Perhaps you did not select the SUBMIT button or you went to another website?

Magazines from MISASA
On this forum under the MISASA tab you will find the thread where I keep you posted on magazine distribution. There are 4 mags a year and this mag is late re posting for the reasons given ie We're waiting for some "goodies" to add to the mag so as to save on the postage. Perhaps you could have a debate about where MISASA should post updates ie on http://www.misasa.co.za, microlighters hanger talk or as is the case at present?

If you log into the www.misasa.co.za website and you select the magazines category tab in the right hand panel of the home page you will be presented with links to all the magazines going back to 2006.

Membership numbers
The membership numbers are issued with the membership cards by the Aero Club and not by MISASA. They were behind during January and February in posting cards but I believe that they have now caught up.

Membership Fee Payments:
At the last AGM of the Aero Club it was confirmed that membership fee payments of some R25,000 could not be allocated. This was after a massive effort to reduce the number from over R50,000. This means that some 100 to 200 plus pilots that paid were not registered as members.

This year with membership being called for by RAASA before issuing an ATF it was felt that a more secure method of cash collection should be encouraged. Thus we opened an eCommerce website at http://www.weboonline/misasa/ to manage membership fee payments. Standard ECommerce processing requires that you register as a buyer and confirm your eMail address before being able to place your membership order and pay online via your EFT arrangements.

MISASA does not have an eCommerce credit card merchant ID number as this costs about R800 per month and so when you pay via the Webo system then you are automatically eMailed an order confirmation with banking details and you pay by EFT. On the MISASA eCommerce website each member has a MEMBERS' PORTAL where you can track that the funds have been received and where you can change your information. Unfortunately not all members use this system. This would all work well if everyone used it. Many do not want to register and compete an online transaction so payments continue to be paid into the MISASA bank account and some of these are made with no reference at all so we have no idea who the money was deposited by. The same applies to the Aero Club - they receive cash deposits and also some are deposited anonymously. Some provide RAASA with proof of payment to MISASA/Aero Club details ( which they do not give to us) so, for these, the Aero Club can track it back from RAASA's books.

More than half the fees received have been received by way of unregistered receipts into the MISASA or Aero Club bank accounts. If there are any members out there who would like to help please contact Brett Hickman.

What do you get for your money?

The Aero Club gets R250 and the full financial statements are obtainable from them and they are presented each year at the AGM. MISASA gets R250 and the same applies however few members attend the MISASA AGM. Members are also invited to all meetings but again we do not enjoy much support in this regard. Thus in short, MISASA pays the VAT over and thus has R220 from you. Round numbers - a magazine costs R42 each including postage. After paying for 4 magazines and giving support to competitions for equipment available to all MISASA members, traveling expenses and the "goodies" that you get with your mag you will understand that we have been using savings over the last couple of years. The embroidered badge costs R13 an embroidered cap costs R30 - I'll leave you to do the maths.

So, what can I do for you?
I would like to offer a nudge that the Winter issue of the mag has a content submission date of 1 May. So far I have received one story. Please ask someone with a story to send it to me.

Mmmm.... Ok, so we are accused of being a tad lazy?
Please let us know what you would like us to do for you and if possible what you would like to do for others.

Thank you and fly safe

Alan
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:29 pm

Could it be possible to show on the website a simple spreadsheet of member's name and membership number so they could check directly if their details have been captured?

Sorry, work for someone, but at the next meeting reward the participants with beer. Take from my subs. vhpy
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Ranger
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Ranger » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:17 pm

so get off YOUR lazy arse and volounteer some help
Hey Odball, There was no intension from my side to insult anyone. Merely a quirk all in good humour. If you know me you will find that i seldom get phased by issues such as the one at hand. Yes i do understand that the guys volunteer their time and if i'm going to volenteer my time as well then it IS going to be like a government department where two people are doing one person's job. The phrase lazy arse might have been a bit harsh, Sorry. ## ## ##.
How do i find out if my money and application have been received?
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi Again,

I agree that showing the names or the numbers and selected other membership detail on the website - eg "membership number" and "paid" say with no other info > would be useful.

HOWEVER

This matter has been raised over the years many times and it has been turned down every time as the majority of the people to whom the decision has been put want no private information available to the public. Pilots are a prime target for sales and for many other reasons.

THUS

If you use the http://www.weboonline.com/misasa/ online opportunity to pay you will get an online MEMBERS' PORTAL where your information and transaction history is logged and you can privately see and amend your info.

OR

If you go to the http://www.misasa.co.za website and you go to the category "fees" in the panel on the right bottom of the home page there is a form that you can eMail or fax to Bret Hickman

OR

If you go to the MISASA Forum on this website and scroll through the threads to the MISASA Renewals thread - there is a form that you can download - fill it in and fax or email it to Bret Hickman.

OR

Just eMail Bret Hickman and ask him if your money has been reconciled and is recorded as received.

PLEASE SEND US A FORM IF YOU DO NOT USE THE ONLINE PAYMENT METHOD _ I just went and had a look - it has been downloaded once off this website from the MISASA section and on the www.misasa.co.za website it has never been downloaded. So - the membership, it would seem, prefer anonymous donations? PLEASE CHAT TO FELLOW PILOTS AND LET THEM KNOW THAT THIS REALLY DOES MAKE OUR LIVES DIFFICULT AND THE RESULT IS THIS THREAD WHICH IS ABOUT YOUR UNHAPPINESS WHICH IS SOLVABLE.

I understand that many want nothing to do with the internet - if this is the case ask someone else to help or just go to the contents page of the magazine - all the info you need is there.

Hope this helps

Fly safe

Alan
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!
IceAge
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby IceAge » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks Alan,

I also paid via the internet link provided in Jan and received my membership card about three weeks ago in the post. (^^) (^^) (^^)

Keep up the good work........... can't wait for the new mag

Smooth flying and safe landings................
Caught a dream............

Windlass Aquilla
Thunderbird MKII
Savannah VG