Buffelsfontein

Matters of general interest
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Buffelsfontein

Postby Morph » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:06 am

Bayliner wrote:I would personally like to apologize to the Chairman of Morningstar in having potentially damaged the clubs' goodwill and integrity. Morph, if you could forward me his telephone number. I tried calling you a while ago.
You have a pm.

Well done Glenn (^^)
Greg Perkins
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:19 am

Big of you Glenn... (^^) As previously mentioned, take the wrap and move on !!!
An 'oopsie' is not a criminal offence, As some might wish to make it out to be!! :evil: :evil:
See it as experience gained that luckily you can walk away from. (^^) (^^)
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:25 am

Grumpy wrote:Big of you Glenn... (^^) As previously mentioned, take the wrap and move on !!!
An 'oopsie' is not a criminal offence, As some might wish to make it out to be!! :evil: :evil:
See it as experience gained that luckily you can walk away from. (^^) (^^)
I agree with Grumpy it is not a criminal offence to have an accident. It's got to do with the reporting of the accident, not the accident itself.
Greg Perkins
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:52 am

Positive results here.... I bet there are more chaps that have learnt out of Bayliner's experience! vhpy
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:02 am

What actually happened? I presume this incident occurred on take off?
Solowings Aquilla
32-4817
White Gum Farm, Western Australia
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:06 am

Nope landing at Buffelsfontein.
Greg Perkins
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:14 am

Sounds like you were lucky the bush was there.........

Glad to hear that you and your daughter walked away unharmed.
Solowings Aquilla
32-4817
White Gum Farm, Western Australia
Bayliner
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Bayliner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:32 am

At this point in time I will say that although not criminal it is an offence against laid down regulations not to report and incident no matter how serious or minor. This is how we all learn and at the end of the day is conducive to safe flying. I am most definately guilty here. As I mentioned before I can and will give a full account of what happened from my perspective but only after submittal to Goffel and then of course with his say so. Certainly if he is ok with it I will post the entire report on the forum.

Basically what happened is that I was on finals. There was some turbulence. I was lined up nicely. A crosswing caught me unawares and I ended up above the bushes. Being close to the stall and only a few feet above the ground/bushes I could not go around. Plonked onto the bushes, slided for what seemed an eternity and stopped. Got out, unstrapped my daughter, gave her breakfast at the restuarant and had myself a strong cup of coffee. The real shock only got to me that evening where I remember becoming strangely cold.

The aftershock of what could have happened regarding my daughter was more progressive and built up and up and continues to torment me. My daughter does not seem to have any emotional side effects and I continue to encourage her to talk about it and to not suppress anything.

Sorry guys, for blowing the steam but I need to talk.
Goffel
Pre flight checks done

Postby Goffel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:46 am

Just so that we are all on the same page here.........

Having an accident is not a criminal offenec.......reporting the accident late is acceptable........

BUT....

FLYING WITHOUT A VALID PILOT LICENCE IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE............and carrying passangers without a valid pilot's licence is also a criminal offence.

I will leave that statement for the forum to read.

I will be posting the results either by Fiday afternoon or Monday as I feel that we are all here to learn and go forward.

Anyone can make a mistake.....but as long as one is prepared to admit their mistake.

Goffel.
Bayliner
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Bayliner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:20 pm

Goffel is quite correct in his assumptions of what is a criminal offence. I admit that I only have an SPL and not a NPL. Having done my hours with an instructor is no excuse for what I did. Flying legally with a passenger is only legal once you have a valid NPL. To take passengers thereafter is at the discretion of the Pilot. Please take heed and if there is anybody out there flying illegally stop now and do not take the chance. It can take a very minor occurance but if caught the consequences can far outweigh that. It is not worth it.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:07 pm

So who wasn't there more "bushwhacking" done? I urge No.2 to also contact Chris ASAP....
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Bayliner
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Bayliner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:25 pm

No.2, I do not know who you but seriously it will be in your best interest to contact Chris. The man is not that bad. By me coming forward I think I have made things a little better for myself (from a point of feeling a little more relieved). You also need to help all to bring this thing to closure. Besides the reporting side of things I think the idea is for sharing experiences and letting others know about it and hopefully preventing something similar from happening again.
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:30 pm

Glenn.
=D* =D* =D* =D*
Well done for doing the right thing!
You could blame shock or any number of things which is irellevent now since you have set it right.
I question your instructor/mentor (and even experienced mates) for not advising/assisting you to do the right thing in the first place. (Trust me I have no idea who this may be so there is no hidden agenda here). He/they should know better and I would question him/them, unless he/they honestly didn't know about the accident.

As for you, I'd buy you a couple of beers anytime mate.
(^^)

Rgds

Len
Bayliner
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Bayliner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks JetRanger. To be 100% honest not many knew and yes I was encouraged by those who knew to do the right thing. I was stubborn. One chap put it very aptly to me: By doing what you are doing you are making us in the know all co-conspirators. This is so true. No one wants to be a snitch.

As for my instructor, he did not know (obviously he does now) that I was flying behind his back. There is only one person to blame and that person is me. The upsetting thing here is that all you guys especially those that I know have integrity and even though I have received nothing but support I sense there is a feeling of disappointment. My personal challenge is now to take the wrap and to get you guys to know that I can and will be trusted unconditionally. My biggest disapointment is that I will probably never be allowed to take my daughter up again even though she absolutely loved it and cant wait to be up there with her Dad again.

Anyway, I would like to get all the formalities over with, get on the right track, learn from this and move on. I dont like to dwell on something too long.

Beers with you sounds like an excellent idea.
Africa
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Africa » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:41 pm

What is the punnishment for flying without a license? also why can you never take your daughter again?? is that a CAA requirement? or family?