Buffelsfontein

Matters of general interest
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Buffelsfontein

Postby John Boucher » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Something does not add up here..... I'd love a definition of "Bushwhacking" Buffelsfontein style!

How many trikes / aircraft were in the circuit at the time when joining overhead to land.... etc considering the poor comms conditions?

I do not know the conditions underfoot but is it conducive to promoting safe aviation and especially to low time pilots that do not have the experience?

I am sticking my nose into a hornets nest here and would love to hear the comments...
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:10 pm

This is NOT cool.. s018 s018
Someone needs to go for a refresher course WITH an Instructor s064
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Buffelsfontein

Postby John Young » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:52 am

John Boucher wrote:Something does not add up here..... I'd love a definition of "Bushwhacking" Buffelsfontein style!

I am sticking my nose into a hornets nest here and would love to hear the comments...
Hi,

Someone had a "private moment" and got the opportunity to do some maintenance. That's all. :wink:

What goes on tour stays on tour. ':- ':- ':-

Have seen this movie before. Farmer arrives with welder, scrap metal and a can of spray paint. 30 minutes later it's as good as new. :lol: :lol:

Regards
John ZU-sEXY

Stirrer - don't you and Quack-Mate sleep?
Was a sEXY trike. Now registered as N457YJ
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:24 am

Aaaaah SEXY OLD John Young vhpy You have broken the silence!

I have conveyed my sentiments regarding your insinuation that Quack Mate and I are machines and don't sleep in a personal barrage of insults back to you (NOT) in a PM - how's that my good sir! :lol:
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:23 am

Is this how it's going to be then? :shock:

I strongly urge the reading of the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12423 :idea:
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:39 pm

:cry:
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Goffel
Pre flight checks done

Postby Goffel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:52 pm

Lying upside down is hardly called bushwacking.........I would say that that is an accident, that requires an accident report form to be sent to CAA.

Still waiting for the report please.

Goffel.
AndyG
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby AndyG » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Goffel wrote:Lying upside down is hardly called bushwacking.........I would say that that is an accident, that requires an accident report form to be sent to CAA.

Still waiting for the report please.

Goffel.

:o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

And now????
Bayliner
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Bayliner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Hello All

I am the guy who got bushwacked. I contacted Goffel after being advised to do so by a member of this forum. We had a long chat telephonically where I briefly explained to him what transpired on 23 January 2010. I will also forward a detailed report to him shortly.

At this point in time I do not want to say too much until such time as Chris (goffel) has received the report and after him and I have communicated further with each other

I would however like to apologize to the microlighting community and especially to the friends that I have made over the last few months or so. I would like to apologize for keeping a low profile after the incident, and in by doing so have potentially damaged the reputation of the community.

I would personally like to apologize to the Chairman of Morningstar in having potentially damaged the clubs' goodwill and integrity. Morph, if you could forward me his telephone number. I tried calling you a while ago.

I have behaved like an absolute idiot and have not accorded you all with a decent explanation (and respect) even though I have received uncompromised support from all that I have spoken to.

Now I must face the consequences which have been worsened by my own doing. This for me is going to be a lesson learnt the hard way.

Guys, I am truly sorry and I urge you all not to follow my example and to bide by the rules and regulations that are afterall in place to make this sport enjoyable and as safe as possible.

Mostly of all I would like to and remain a part of this community and continue to fly but to do things right the way all of you play the game.

Regards
Glenn
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:01 pm

Well done Glenn... Let me be the first to commend you on the apology as it takes balls to do it on a forum! =D*

Let it also be an example to the aviation community. We are quick to criticise CAA for their "draconian" rules but in hindsight we are responsible for many of those rules being in place. We are generally let on our own to "police" our own behaviour. We have however a serious responsibility towards ourselves, our loved ones and also the mates we share the airspace with! It's up to us in the end.....

Lets promote SAFE AVIATION and if you are struggling to make the mark, change your instructor or get a second opinion. The last thing I would want to see is a loss to the aviation fraternity due to not being informed, not to mention due to a fatality!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Bayliner
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Bayliner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Thank you John. To tell you the truth I have been monitoring this post probably at least 5 times a day. Every time a notification came through to my e-mail address my heart skipped a beat or 2. When I read the post from Goffel and coincidentally an e-mail from a forum member, then things for me fell apart. After talking to Goffel things (emotionally) got worse for me. All this time I think I was suppressing the fact that my daughter was aboard with me. I could have killed her given my inexperience and above all my stubborn attitude. I tell you that I am so gratefull that she is ok. I remember that right after the incident, after I had unstrapped her from the seat, she found a tortoise and started playing with it I think. I wish that I was as brave. Sorry man, the emotions are running amok. I can't beleive that I was so inconsiderate and so blatantly flouting the laws both written and unspoken. As I said before I will face the music in the presence of the authorities. Strange as it may sound I feel a certain relief that I have been "found out". I know this is, so to speak pen to paper and that the level of emotion cannot be guaged in this manner.

At this point, in lieu of an explanation all I can say is that I encountered some cross wind and I was close to the stall. I did not have the time nor the air speed to go around and subsequently had to drop in the bush. Neither I or Tayla (my daughter) were injured. If anyone witnessed the incident please feel free to post such on this forum. I need to learn from this and very importantly share the experiences with everyone.

Thank you for the support and encouragement.

Regards
Glenn
Africa
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Africa » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Glenn, you made a mistake you said sorry and now it should be put behind you. There is no need to to continue to feel like this. Everyone makes mistakes including the authoroties, so be happy you and daughter are ok and that you learned something. keep your chin up, we ALL make mistakes, we say sorry, pay the price and move on.. end of story. You have paid for this financially and also owned up on the board which as John said took balls. now we all leave you alone and move on. jamie
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Buffelsfontein

Postby John Young » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:25 am

Hi,
Bayliner wrote:I encountered some cross wind and I was close to the stall. I did not have the time nor the air speed to go around and subsequently had to drop in the bush.
Bayliner, firstly, your decision to make the foregoing posts can be commended and we are all delighted that you and your daughter are OK.

Secondly, the situation / symptoms that led to the accident. Suggestion - to help you with your confidence, take an instructor and practice low air speed / stall recovery at a safe height. The symptoms will become ingrained as will the recovery which requires quick and decisive inputs.
Africa wrote:Glenn, you made a mistake you said sorry and now it should be put behind you. There is no need to continue to feel like this. Everyone makes mistakes including the authorities, so be happy you and daughter are ok and that you learned something. Keep your chin up, we ALL make mistakes, we say sorry, pay the price and move on. End of story. You have paid for this financially and also owned up on the board which as John said took balls. Now we all leave you alone and move on. Jamie

Agreed. !!!!

Regards
John ZU-sEXY
Was a sEXY trike. Now registered as N457YJ
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:38 am

' nuff said................ =D* =D* =D* !!!! !!!! !!!!
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
AndyG
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby AndyG » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:11 am

Glenn,

I have also been watching this post and wondering how long it would take for the truth to be aired. All I can say is that I concur with , JohnB, JohnY and Jamie(Africa). Take the heat and move forward. I know that this has been a huge wake up call and I am just so glad that you and your precious daughter came away unscathed.

Good luck,