Info

Matters of general interest
OzGyro
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Info

Postby OzGyro » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:17 am

Hi All

Ok before I start a war of words, all I am asking for is general opinions of the Kitfox V's the Bushbaby and the Pro's and Con's of both machines. Both aircraft appear similar and both seem to fetch similar money in the S/Hand market place. My thoughts are to possibly purchase one of theses style of aircraft and do my PPL. From my limited knowledge I believe both can be used to gain your PPL licence. Am I correct in the belief that if the aircraft is for personal use I can purchase and be instructed in my own aircraft. Any info greatly appreciated, if you prefer PM me and leave a contact number and I can call to discuss.

Cheers
Darren
Mogas
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Info

Postby Mogas » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:23 am

Hi Darren
I represent Kitplanes for Africa so my input will be seen as biased but I will try to remain as objective as possible.
Pro's for the Kitfox:
The frame is made out of 4130 aircraft grade steel.
The fittings like cowling fasteners and so on are aircraft spec.
The higher end frames like the Super Sport have an inflight trim system which allows you to make the luggage bay very big.
The 4130 frame is nice and light.
All round this is a very well designed tube and rag bush plane.
Cons for the Kitfox:
Cost; the fittings, 4130 frame and the fact that it is welded in the USA make this frame quite expensive.
Repairs; it costs a lot more to repair 4130.
Pro's for Kitplanes for Africa:
Lets start by getting it out there that while we provide service support, we do not produce the Bushbaby anymore, this airframe was a shameless copy of the excellent KF3. Our frames have evolved on from there to the Explorer and the Safari and can be compared to the KF5 and KF7 respectively.
The KFA frame is welded out of SAE1010 steel. This makes it very slightly heavier so that we can still have similar strength to the KF. The SAE1010 steel is very much cheaper than 4130 so cost to produce and repair is much less. An advantage of 1010 is that it bends before it cracks like 4130 which while stronger is also more brittle. Our welding standard is higher than that of the KF, we have examples of both in our factory, come and see for yourself.
Local support; Both my partner Stefan and myself are passionate about our product, we have invested all we have in this business because we are fully committed to the business. We will go the extra mile to get your business and keep you happy.
There is no structural difference in the wings, the spars are drawn from the same grade of aircraft spec aluminium. The KFA spar is actually stronger and stiffer as it is thicker than the KF spar.
Cons for KFA
The SAE1010 can be prone to corrosion if neglected and as mentioned is slightly heavier.
The fittings are normal metric bolts of a higher strength grade than usual. In order to bring it up to aircraft spec our bolts are sized up compared to the KF and this also adds slightly to the overall weight.
We do not have it yet but are working on an inflight trim system that will not be complicated, be simple and safe and not push us too far regarding cost to produce.
Performance comparison:
When comparing similar frames with the same engine there is virtually no performance difference, perhaps with the KF having the edge with its slight weight advantage. Because these planes are both built to customer/owner spec and taste, it is very difficult to compare apples to apples and at the end of the day the contest will come down to individual pilot skill.
Summary
The Kitfox is a great airplane but comes at a cost.
You will get very similar performance for less money from KFA and support second to none.
I hope this helps you make an informed decision.
Mogas
Nottaquitta
The Hangman
Found a flight school

Re: Info

Postby The Hangman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:44 am

Hi, I too am in need of info for the kitfox,
do you have a number to contact you on? please if not I can give mine. I am in the process of looking at a fox 2 and would like technical info and someone to convert me.