Non avi: Broken into South of JHB

Matters of general interest
Dusty Eagle
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Re: Non avi: Broken into South of JHB

Postby Dusty Eagle » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:00 am

Sorry to here about your loss, have had a couple of break ins on our small holding.
You dont mention if you an alarm system.
I have fitted an alarm system, no armed response, but I fitted many sound bombs in the primary rooms, ie, access away from sleeping areas, the tv room, lounge, study and hanger.
They screeeech at such lhigh levels you cannot concentrate, and have to cover your ears, no chance of carrying and covering ears at the same time, unless they come with earmuffs. I am told it penetrates via their sculls so ear muffs may not work. I will try tomorrow.
Also couple this to flashing lights and a siren on the roof that WILL wake up your neighbours.
After I installed it in my hanger, I sent in my team leader to get something.
The shock in his face when he bolted out after going in 5 metres was hilerious, his chest was heaving and he developed an immediate sweat.
They cant cope with this kind of unexpected surprise and bright flashing lights and noise send them packing, of course, their element of surprise has been lost and "someone" IS going to notice, and your armed response might just be arouind the corner.

Good luck hunting them down
nico
buzz
Thinking of flying

Postby buzz » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:44 pm

Sorry you lost your stuff Dremen. Very frustrating!

We lost our flat sreen TV some weeks back in a 4am smash and grab when we were still asleep.
The alarm went off as soon as they broke the door but by the time I flew out of bed and down the passage (STUPID!) they were already gone.
Cables were ripped out and snapped.

They knew what they wanted and how to get it despite alarm system etc. We are now re-doing alarm with external sensors.

I haven't replaced the TV till new security measures in place - there is the possibilty they will come back for the new one.

The incident left my wife and daughter pretty rattled though. Lousy to have your space violated! :evil:
Dreman55
Pre flight checks done

Postby Dreman55 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:35 pm

We do have an alarm but my wife did not switch it on coz sh was only going to the shops for a couple of hours.

Likewise not replacing until I have beefed a few things up a bit, the cost though are huge. Our security gate is external and wanted to add a maxidor on the inside, cost between R6k and R10k, can't give exact quote till measured. Now times by 3 + some external sensors etc and we are sitting at R50K. Wanted to add 4 channel cctv another R19k.

Currently the gate is chained, phoned 6 people to repair. Sorry too busy, if you want a new gate though they can suddenly make a plan. Amazing, times are tough but no one wants to work.

So now the money I would have paid someone I use to add to the tool box and buy a welder and do myself.
buzz
Thinking of flying

Postby buzz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:04 pm

You are right - the cost of upgrading security is high and the service on "small repair jobs" is dismal.

I am not a security expert but I think the trick is to detect them before they have actually gained entry.
Perhaps you could acheive this at very low cost by discreetly fitting additional magnetic switches to your external security gates.
This would trigger the alarm and the b@st@rds still have to get through the door. The element of surprise is lost.
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Africa wrote:I have to be honest. I love living in the states and my 2 little girls are safe at night. It has been very hard to leave the country I love so dearly but the safety of my family makes it all worth while. Sorry you lost so much stuff dude. I hope you catch those basterds!!!Jamie

If its so safe in the states why you have so many convicted criminals in Jail, its a massive industry with a lot of clients so its not so safe, you have parts of La, Miami and New York where police only goes when they are fully armed including body Armour :!:
Africa
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Africa » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:31 pm

LOL @ Johnsa!! its funny how people always say miami, LA and New York are dangerous. hahah those are on the movies and you are watching too much Hollywood crap.... I bet 1 Mil USD that you are safer walking downtown Miami, LA and NYC that in any South African city IMO and seeing that i live on a ranch I do not think of farm killing, theft, or anything like that so this argument is really a waist of time Boet.

But I would still choose to live in SA if I had the oppotunity to. I miss home and I would put up with the kak and the malema's to be home (^^) I was justt commenting on how safe i did feel living here and it is a nice feeling having that piece of mind of my kids being safe and i do not care what you say and who you are it is dangerous in SA and the way of life is to lock up.... ## ##

xxx
Jamie
AndyG
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby AndyG » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Dremann bad news dude, I know how it feels. I have been hijacked twice and had two attempted muggings. I also got attacked in my garage in 1991 but managed to send the guy to his future lodgings.(Rossi 38 special)

My first hijack was my first day on the job and and I stopped at one of our sites and had a thug walk up and take a brand new KB280DT Isuzu from me. Not a good start to the job.

The last was I had just locked up my warehouse on a Sunday evening and had driven down the road to an intersection and was confronfronted by 3 armed guys. You don't do f*cK around as big and strong as I am it is nothing against firepower. I was bundled into the back of my bakkie and driven around with a guy cocking the firearm against my head and pulling the trigger. They had a blanket over me. After +- 45 minutes I heard sounds that we may be in town. The Bastard holding the firearm leaned forward to shout at the driver through his window and I bailed off the side blanket and all. We were doing an estimated 60kmph approaching a robot when I did it. When they saw I had bailed they just carried on. I got up and found myself outside the Lion Match Factory in Durban. The guards had seen what had happened but refused to call anyone or help. I limped up to a small Indian take away further away that was locking up and managed to convince the owner to help me.

I suffered a broken arm, broken collar bone, 2 broken fingers, and severe lacerations with lots of bleeding. That was far better than what the swine was offering as he kept whispering in my ear as we drove around. My only thoughts the whole time were for my wife and kids
I had lots of hate yes but these vermin are not going to drive me from the country I love

Sorry for the negative story but the hope is that we stick together and go forward.

Cheers,
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Africa wrote:LOL @ Johnsa!! its funny how people always say miami, LA and New York are dangerous. hahah those are on the movies and you are watching too much Hollywood crap.... I bet 1 Mil USD that you are safer walking downtown Miami, LA and NYC that in any South African city IMO and seeing that i live on a ranch I do not think of farm killing, theft, or anything like that so this argument is really a waist of time Boet.

But I would still choose to live in SA if I had the oppotunity to. I miss home and I would put up with the kak and the malema's to be home (^^) I was justt commenting on how safe i did feel living here and it is a nice feeling having that piece of mind of my kids being safe and i do not care what you say and who you are it is dangerous in SA and the way of life is to lock up.... ## ##

xxx
Jamie
Jamie,

Nice to hear of you. I have as a wittie have walked several times alone, unarmed in Hilbrow and JHB downtown 2003 / 2007, call me crazy, call me what ever you want but I did it and nothing happened, was it luck or did everybody think, heeee it must be a detective vhpy

Now you did not answer the question, how come 30 percent of the black population of the US has been in jail or is in jail you do the numbers if I am not correct.

Regards

john
Africa
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Africa » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:56 pm

Johnsa, there are 300 Million people here, of which the black population is not even 10% so 30% of 10% is 3% of our population. Not a maths genius hence i became an MPL instructor..LMAO!!

so if i have to be concerned about 3% of our population then i recon I am should be ok. Also, the 30% of the black population you speak of has been in jail mostly for petty crime, like non insurance on cars, no drivers license, etc where as in SA its rape, murder, hijacking and brutality,

Now, i am not saying that, thats why I am here, i am here because i did not listen to my dad when he told me to wrap it or zip it...LOL ## and If i had a choice i would come back and it is in my plan but since you seem to misinformed then i figured that i would set the record straight. Percentager wise you are 100 times safer here than there. You were lucky in Hilbrow ou boet, I would not recomend you do that again..haha

anyway, if I am wrong then I am sorry and I in no way intend to run SA down because i am very proud south African and a Bulls supporter!! but I do sleep well at night with nothing locked and thats fact. Oh BTW, this morning ran into the bank in Town.. Chattanooga tenessee, its about the size of Pietermaritzburg and I did not even turn my car off. Left the keys in it and went in came out and Walla, there was my car standuing with the heater still working.

Have a castle for me

Jamie
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:39 am

And long may there still be such civilized places in the world..........
Solowings Aquilla
32-4817
White Gum Farm, Western Australia
Africa
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Africa » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:42 pm

Tailspin, I have read over all these posts and I do not see any sort of anamosity, meaness or bad sportsmanship?? whats to tone down?? its all in good spirits ole chap xxx
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:43 am

Africa wrote:Tailspin, I have read over all these posts and I do not see any sort of anamosity, meaness or bad sportsmanship?? whats to tone down?? its all in good spirits ole chap xxx
Hi Africa

Ok, Just did not want it to turn into a Bun fight over nothing. s062

I have removed my posting. ## ##
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:46 am

34.658.190 are black Mr Africa but you also have Hispanics. You may life in a very quite town. But the gangs in LA are very real and they do kill and rape a lot.