High altitude flying

Matters of general interest
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby kb » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:44 pm

apparently (accprding to this like HUGE pile of books ), you are more suseptible at nioght, reason is that as the atmosphere cools, the higher concentrations of Oxygen sink towards the earth. just what I learnt, not claiming to be a expert, :roll:
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
krusty
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby krusty » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:56 pm

Well, that makes good sense. Logically it could be true.
http://www.adultlounge.co.za
Ignore my spelling, I'm probably drunk.
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:28 am

krusty wrote:
The effect of altitudinal hypoxia on night vision is primarily one of an elevation of the rod and cone threshold. Although decreased cone function is clearly demonstrated by the loss of color vision at hypoxic altitudes, the decrement in central VA is usually insignificant. However, scotopic night vision at altitude can be significantly reduced. Scotopic vision has been reported to decrease by 5% at 3,500 feet, 20% at 10,000 feet, and 35% at 13,000 feet, if supplemental oxygen is not provided. Thus, the use of oxygen, even at low pressure altitudes, can be very important at night.
This will explain why everything up near JHB, at 6000', looks so pale in comparrison to our colourful countryside by the sea, at 240' :D
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
Microwave

Postby Microwave » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:58 am

($$) ($$) ($$) Was'nt it FF who published all these lovely busta pictures some time ago :?: :?: That also looked rather colourful :!: :evil:

I dont believe that altitudinal nonsense at 5000 feet. After a nice rainstorm this country side can be just as beautiful.

FF did you guys fly here at Hartbeespoort when you came up here a couple of weeks ago :?:

If not, try it next time and you will see that flying here aint so bad :!:
Redeye
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Redeye » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:48 am

A great (and almost unbelievable) story about a paraglider that got sucked into a thunderstorm

I believe it- evry time i fly just under a cloud in the glider I am amazed at how good the lift is - i speed up but just keep on going up like in a lift
as the world goes grey I pull the airbrakes and come down a bit- A thunderstorm cloud must be vey scary :wink:
Flying flying flying-- and a bit of gliding