Airsick

Matters of general interest
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Airsick

Postby Low Level » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:50 pm

My wife gets seriously airsick in the backseat of the gyro. Anyone with recommendations - except ^?^ to the right, cause the airfilter is on the left.

She thorougly enjoys flying, but it puts a bit of a damper on the enjoyment when she doesn't feel lekker.
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Airsick

Postby Wart » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:01 pm

Try ginger preserve and ginger beer.
Live: Hillcrest
Work: Pietermaritzburg
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Shame, it is bad.

You should work through a human performance book, and discuss what might cause it. Try and eliminate as much as posible.

Motion sickness is caused by conflicting sences between your ears(balance) and eyes. For example: If you fixate in the cockpit, your ears will fell that you are leaning in a turn, but your eyes will not pickup the same lean as the cockpit will seem level. This cause motion sickness. Tell her to focus outside, and keep it to short trips for a start. Once she is ok, you can increase turbulence flights and endurance to make her use to it.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
AndyG
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby AndyG » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Take the girlfriend instead. vhpy

How about some motion sickness pills or that little patch that you stick behind the ear which you can get at the pharmacy?
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:10 pm

Low level, perhaps she should try the front seat of the Gyro :lol: :lol:
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:17 pm

mak wrote:Low level, perhaps she should try the front seat of the Gyro :lol: :lol:
vhpy vhpy
I was going to suggest the same vhpy vhpy
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:19 pm

AndyG wrote:Take the girlfriend instead. vhpy
?
I was going to suggest the same. (**) ($$) ($$) ($$) :lol: :lol:
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
kraaines
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby kraaines » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:41 pm

drugs! drugs drugs!
there is a brand of pilletjie available from the UAE that helps my softness with the effects (dizinil)

also a type of wrist strap available at pharmacies that exerts pressure on a acupuncture point

note: when you intend to displace any fluids, make sure you grasp the visor firmly in upright position as to avoid muzzle effect :twisted:
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:46 pm

Try sea-sick pills... my dad gets terribly sick in anything EXCEPT a trike! (Wacky, I know) He uses pills, and they seem to keep the sick at bay. However, when we hit the turbulance in Cessna's and so on, he vomits with enough power to kill! However, he has yet to get sick in a Airliner/trike.
I also used to get sick in Cessna's, but now that I fly, I feel slightly nauseous, but not enough to get sick... (Please note: I only feel like this in Cessna's and PPL planes. NOT in gyros, trikes, airliners or Bush Babies or other LSA's)
So I agree with Wargames, get used to it on pills and slowly wean off. Keep flights short inj the beginning and it'll hopefully go away!
Hope This Will Help,
Ross (Trikenut)
Trikenut - Pilot in Training!!!
I love the smell of Avgas in the Morning!
"Beware 16 year old here"
psg
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby psg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi
I used to get sick on dive boats. I got some epinuten (spelling?) .It is given to people who suffer from epilepsy. I used it for a few days then cut the dosage down slowly. It seems as if I got used to dealing with the motion sickness with the help of the medication. I sometimes now feel slightly funny when its really rough but never sick since.

Hope this helps

Sacha
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:59 am

Relevant article from Health24:

Motion sickness
Last updated: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 Print

DescriptionMotion sickness is a disturbance of the sense of balance and equilibrium as a result of different kinds of motion.
Seasickness, car sickness and air sickness are all types of motion sickness.
Nausea is the most common symptom.
Children are particularly prone to motion sickness.
Medications are available for the prevention and treatment of motion sickness, which is usually a mild, temporary condition.
What is motion sickness?
Motion sickness is a disturbance of your sense of balance and equilibrium, resulting primarily in nausea, caused by movements such as those experienced when travelling in a car, ship or plane. Seasickness, car sickness and air sickness are all types of motion sickness.
What causes motion sickness?
Motion sickness relates to the body's sense of balance and equilibrium, or spatial orientation. We receive input about our movement and position in space from the following sensory receptors:
Inner ear: monitors direction of motion and spatial position.
Eyes: observe where the body is in space and also the directions of motion.
Skin pressure and muscle and joint sensory receptors: sense which parts of the body are touching the ground or moving and where they are in relation to each other and force of gravity.
The central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) processes the information received from the above receptors. Motion sickness occurs when the central nervous system receives conflicting messages from the different sensory receptors. For example, if you are sitting in a moving car reading a book, your inner ear detects the motion of your travel, but your eyes see only the stationary pages of your book. This confuses your central nervous system and makes you feel nauseous.
Who gets motion sickness and who is at risk?
Motion sickness is very common, and most people experience it at some time in their lives. It is especially common in young children, but most outgrow severe problems with motion sickness.
Particular sensitivity of the equilibrium centre in the inner ear appears to be inherited, as some families suffer from motion sickness more than others do.
If you tend to get motion sickness under one set of circumstances (e.g. you often get carsick), it is likely that you will also be prone to motion sickness generally.
What are the symptoms and signs of motion sickness?
Symptoms of motion sickness may include:
Nausea
Vomiting
Dizziness
Sweating
Malaise (a general feeling of discomfort and not feeling well)
Pallor (looking pale)
Feeling cold and clammy
How is motion sickness treated?
Antihistamine medications are commonly used to treat and prevent motion sickness, by reducing stimulation of the inner ear. These medications are only really effective if taken before motion sickness begins. Meclizine (e.g. Dramamine) is an antihistamine often used to treat motion sickness. Belladonna is another medication used, one formulation of which is the scopalamine medicated skin patch.
It may be helpful to lie down and sip water until your stomach settles. Going to sleep, if you can, may also help.
Some people find ginger (available in capsule form) and peppermints or mint-flavoured sweets useful in alleviating nausea caused by motion sickness, although these preparations will not prevent motion sickness itself.
What is the outcome of motion sickness?
Motion sickness is usually only a minor, temporary inconvenience. Some travellers, however, can find the condition incapacitating.
The symptoms of motion sickness usually abate when the movement causing the problem ceases, and should disappear in about four hours. A few people suffer symptoms for a few days after the trip (called "mal d'embarquement" syndrome).
Can motion sickness be prevented?
If you are prone to motion sickness or if you are suffering from it, try the following:
Position yourself where your eyes will see the same motion that your body and inner ears feel:
In a car, sit in the front seat and look at distant scenery through the front window, not at objects passing on the side.
On a ship, go on deck and watch the horizon.
In a plane, choose a window seat and look outside.
Position yourself for the least amount of movement:
Ask the driver of a bus or car to slow down.
Sit near the middle of a boat or aeroplane (over the wings).
Don't read or do other close work.
Don't sit facing opposite the direction of movement.
Don't watch or talk to another person who is experiencing motion sickness.
Try to get fresh air e.g. keep the car window open; go on deck on a ship.
Avoid spicy or greasy foods, alcohol and carbonated foods during your trip and 24 hours before.
Eat light meals before or during travel. A light meal consisting mainly of carbohydrate helps settle the stomach.
Get sufficient sleep the night before your trip, and avoid travelling if you are not feeling well and rested.
Avoid sea travel.
Avoid amusement park rides, especially those that spin.
Take motion sickness medication before travelling, as recommended by your doctor or pharmacist.
When to call the doctor
Most cases of motion sickness are mild and self-treatable. However, if you or your child experiences a very severe case of motion sickness or one that becomes progressively worse, you should consult a doctor.
(Reviewed by Dr D. Wagenfeld)
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
TranSky
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby TranSky » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:29 pm

I suffer!

This is talk from serious experience. Not just ($$) ($$) .

The see saw balance can be the difference between open cockpit and closed. OPEN COCKPIT is way better.

TENSION is a major player. On a long trip, the first 3 hours I have the plastic bag ready and use it. The next few days flying are sometime touch and go, but fine. Plan ahead and no rushing.

LACK OF SLEEP ie. tiredness will set the alarms blaring.

CAFFEINE is a no no, as in NO. Even the night before.

Drinking and flying does not come into it. ALCOHOL is something to fear 24 hrs before extended flying. In case you missed this one....no alcohol.

EYES OUT THE COCKPIT, well, you are a slow learner if you have not figured this one. Take a navigator and feel your plane.

If you are BORED then you are on the slippery road.

Low level flying helps. 10 000ft is asking for big trouble. Neg G's will start a whole process. Acrobatic flight in the tamest version means you are way braver than a bungee diver.

Try the opposite of some of the above....fresh ginger soaked in hot water the night before. Lots of water type liquids.

If any of you suffer and can pass on some info....then you will know how helpful it will be.
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:29 pm

I get horribly air sick as PAX. Only 1ce as Pilot when we were training for air race in mountains. It was 40deg C in cockpit and we had no vents open. I had not eaten in previous 12hrs and the turbulence was huge..... ALWAYS have something to eat before (even if just dry bread) and drink water. Gassy drinks make you burp (incl gassy water) and that can induce the techicolour follow through burp.... ^?^ ^?^ ^?^ ^?^ ^?^

My 1 lighty gets violently ill (he has tried to physically force me to land the Albat on occasion)... :shock: :shock: :shock:

This worked for me.
Simple O2. Go to Afrox and get medical O2 canister with a couple cannula's. Rental is around R120/month and the cylinder is small enough to fit in cockpit. He is now happy to fly and has not been ill for some years.... (although i think that for him it was a mental thing.) We went to Mawalu brekkie some years back. Boys were 1 and their milk bottles were left in the plane while we had brekkie (Avg 35 deg day). En route back they both fell asleep. I was alerted to a problem when he started puking up a storm. In his drowsed state he had felt the familiar bottle and drunk from the now sour boiling milk and had the expected reaction. he puked for a couple hrs after that once we had landed and never wanted to fly again. before that time he was always first in the que. Got so bad that he would be ill on the tarmac before flight on 737 at FAGG..... Nerves... IMHO

PS
Other than not eating - Other thing that makes me violently ill is heat. If there is little circulation in the cockpit or I am wearing a tight fitting (on temples) bone dome I get moer headache and cold sweat. Remove the bone dome (or even a tight cap under head set) and viola... (**) Other option here is small soft headset. I have Tedelex airman 750's I got on ebay for R500. Almost like not wearing headset at all. May not work in open cockpit though? Mommy loves it since it does not mess her hair or give her any lines around her ears :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
ppakotze
Pre flight checks done

Postby ppakotze » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:02 pm

Stugeron for sea sickness,make sure you have it in your stomach long enough before the time, otherwise it comes out with the rest. Not for the pilot though as it could make you drowsy. (Disclaimer: I am not a pharmacist of a doctor).

Sea sick I do well. Was down for almost a week in a 22 day ocean crossing. On the ocean I have to lie down for a couple of minutes when I start to sense the motion sickness coming on. Avoid trying to read or focusing close in (typing on laptop in the yacht).

As a pilot in control no problem. When the instructor tried to disorientate me I got queasy and sweaty. Get plenty of air flow on you if possible. Took mother-in-law for a flip in the 172 on Wednesday. She was fine in the co-pilot seat even though it was bumpy at times. Previsouly she did get ill in the back of 6 seater floatplane.

In short, get your wife to fly,then there will be no time for motion sickness for her...

Regards
P.
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:29 am

Just a quick update on the original post !

I am glad to report that the Lady in question had 2 longish flights on Sunday, including one in not so smooth conditions and she was fine (^^)

Low Level can maybe tell us what the solution was ?

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)