Mogas
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Buffelsfontein

Postby Mogas » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:01 pm

I have only now looked at this thread.
Well done to;
Bayliner for not crashing too badly and "coming clean"
The forum members for not flaming him and rather steering him in the right direction.
Lastly to Goffel, give the man his hiding, carrying his daughter with just an SPL is simply not acceptable.
Having said that, sounds to me like he got caught up in the moment (must go fly with my mates), was frustrated with the progress of his training, some of it beyond his control, so there were possibly some mitigating circumstances.
But whilst that may go a little way in making a Xcountry without his instructor's knowledge sort of more acceptable, that certainly does not do anything for making it ok to carry pax IMHO.
I like to think we as microlighters do a good job of regulating ourselves and keeping our noses clean. There must have been someone else in that party who knew that Bayliner only had an SPL. Shame on you for not speaking up, it could have had a horrible outcome.
Let us take aboard the good lessons learned from this.
To Bayliner:
Chin up! You did the right thing in the end.
Take your punishment like a man, sounds like you have already done so on the domestic front. I hope that you will carry on and finish your license.
I am convinced this will make you a better and safer pilot in the future.
Mogas
Nottaquitta
Bayliner
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Re: Buffelsfontein

Postby Bayliner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Yes, I can commend Goffel for his understanding and in the way he has handled the situation. I know that from now on there is absolutley nothing to be afraid of where CAA is concerned. Just do the right thing right and right from the beginning.

When I had the incident I thought I would not fly again. When sanity prevailed I realised that this is one sport/hobby I do not want to give up. Therefore it will be full steam ahead with training after my return from JHB at the end of this week (Sunday).