To the Green Winged Aquila who skimmed the waves at Ramsgate

Matters of general interest
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Re: To the Green Winged Aquila who skimmed the waves at Rams

Postby Blue Max » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:25 am

vernon11 wrote:Paul, When you do decid3e to come to the coast, call in at Munster.
Regards,
vhpy Will sure do.
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Okay, I'll chill and let people have their fun. Sorry.

To the lower hour guys - please ignore my initial posting and your training not to fly low over water - there is really nothing to worry about - it's all old-wives-tales. Just have fun, skimming the ocean 100 meters or so from the beach. Your Pax will love the thrill, as will the beach goers who are enjoying the rare treat of your skills.

Rotax 582's are certified aircraft powerplants. Engine-outs are very rare -Rotax makes it clear in their manual that you do not have to worry about it, and can fly as you wish without landing options. If it should quit on you (VERY unlikely) - you'll be fine after an ocean ditch - water is soft, so you should be fine after impact - it is much like doing a "bommie" in your pool. Your flight suit was designed to float - it will probably not suck up any water and make you sink as you gently step out of the open cockpit as your trike settles and floats in the waves. Your helmet will also not be a problem, and you will have ample time to take it of, or at least disconnect your headsets from the open cockpits before your trike starts to gently take on water and sink slowly. You shouldn't encounter any interference from a tangle of broken wires and your demolished wing - just stay calm, inform your pax to also stay calm, and begin your gentle back-stroke to the beach.

The media / GA community will look upon it only as an unfortunate and unavoidable accident, and the CAA will conclude that nobody was to blame for this unfortunate tragedy. Your Pax's family won't sue you - they'll also concur that you could not do anything to avoid the death of their loved one.

We'll post what a good pilot you were and carry on as normal if your swimming skills are not good. If they are, we'll post that we are glad you made it, and that aircraft can be replaced.

I will personally check your accident thread regularly, and make sure that nobody steps out of line by accusing you of anything.

Enjoy your flying! (^^)
Last edited by Asterix on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:55 pm

=D* =D*
RV9
DISH
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Asterix your sarcastic reply is uncalled for and garbage. We all know the rules and consequences. ($$) ($$) ($$)
However if you get a kick out of the diabloical diatribe you've published here......Enjoy You THE Man !!
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
Splinter
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Splinter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:04 pm

This site is going in the same direction as Avcom at a rate of knots! It really sucks. Me this, you that, he did that!

This is second hand info that originated from a non-pilot that was excited about the microlight, let it go and just fly! You don't know if he was really that low or if it just seemed low, there could have been an angle if he was on a balcony.
Lower, Lower ...........
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:30 pm

There is no "you this, I that". No reports to authorities were made? No names were published? The non-pilot who saw this luckily is friendly to trikers! (and knows enough about them to able to make a judgement based on his observation of a guy over the sharknets, with his backwheels a couple of metres over the ocean?

I was not being sarcastic - I merely apologised for my indiscretions by starting this post - (maybe go and read it again - carefully..) and then pointing out that I was wrong - clearly it is NOT a problem if your fun over the ocean ens up in a little "oopsie?" I merely high- lighted the non-factors that will not play any role in an adverse outcome. It will be an accident - nothing more.

So AGAIN - SORRY! The guy was in his full rights, flying safely and exhibiting normal flying! So what's the problem? As I said - I was wrong to point it out! ##

Ag..really..whatever..All go out and do what you like. Go kite-surfing in your trike. It is normal, and fully legal.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Not worth the argument.... :wink:

I had a good chuckle James... (^^)
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Agreed Bundy. Thanks.

To each his own - luckily we have established that "fun" is the most important aspect to consider when making decisions. Also that the calls for "self policing" and outrage at a PIC after an accident fades into distant memory over time..

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17707

Until the next one, of course. Then all and sundry will be opiniated and outraged again, after the fact.

Me, I'll remain vocal, even if it means being the outsider in the "new normal". Sad thing that frequent accidents are needed to make people think again about what they are doing. But so be it. Darwin was right.

From the above link, amongst the gems, you will find this post from HansH,

MISASA has already done it's bit to improve the microlight pilots image in an effort to shake off the hooligan stigma by forcing all pilots to do a flight check every two years. This misguided idea has not been in the least bit successful as can be seen in the safety records in Part 61 and Part 62 operations over the past few years.
Since the first PPL's were issued in the mid 1920's recreational pilots have left numerous piles of aircraft debris around the country. Some were the result of problems encountered with the aircraft but the majority came about because the pilot made an error of judgement. There are numerous well designed and safe aircraft flying but the weak link is in the cockpit. Candidates trying for the Air Force or Airlines are screened very carefully. In recreational flying the only screening comes in the form of the aspiring pilot's bank balance being found acceptable. As such anyone can start flying regardless of that persons aptitude or attitude.
Once they have got their licences the majority of pilots play by the rules but there is the small minority of rebels who reckon they have the right to bend the rules since they consider themselves to be superior in an odd sort of way.
Counselling/reprimanding them is an exercise in futility. The next time they get into an aircraft they go back to their old ways, only this time they make sure they are out of immediate sight. But these guys are not the only problem. Some accidents involve a normally safe, cautious and responsible pilot who suddenly for no reason has a moment of madness and attempts to do something that is dangerous usually ending up in another little pile of debris.
So what can be done to improve the recreational pilot's safety/image? This is a problem the authorities have been trying to solve for the last 80 years or so but with not much success.
The fact is that many recreational pilots do not have an overall high level of experience. This coupled with the fact that weeks can go by without flying and this seriously increases the chance of an incident when they take to the skies. Just read through the accident list in one of the aviation mags and see how many involve losing control during take off or landing. Then add in the guy who stalls and spins in on final or the chap who loses his engine sometime after take off and kills himself in the subsequent forced landing and the list really makes for bad reading.Yet these guys were legal in all aspects of licensing so what can be done? A flying club or school could insist on a short dual check before hiring out their planes if the pilot has had a longish lay off even though he is still within the legal limits but for the guy who owns his own plane...well he just has to make sure he meets the absolute minimum hour requirements. So in a nutshell the problem is near impossible to solve satisfactorily. Bluntly put, "Aircraft Down" threads will always appear on the various forums with monotonous regularity.
Of course the authorities can always brandish the Big Stick. But is it really effective? It does work when the pilot's livelihood is at stake but for the guy who hardly flies the attitude is a bit of "so what". And as for trying to nail someone for breaking a flying rule can be very problematic and time consuming and a good lawyer can make it really difficult. Try prosecuting when a witness says the aircraft was at a specific height. How can he prove it?
MISASA and the flying community have to accept that practice makes perfect but in the case of recreational flying perfection is hard to achieve since the average pilot has little opportunity to really hone his skills unless he has lots of cash to spend. What MISASA can do is to devote a fair number of pages in the magazine on safety matters. And most importantly publish accident investigation reports. These are about the best sources of information available.
As for the rebels...Well just read the MISASA MOP Section 9. The procedure on how to deal with them is all written down.

I re-quote: Since the first PPL's were issued in the mid 1920's recreational pilots have left numerous piles of aircraft debris around the country. Some were the result of problems encountered with the aircraft but the majority came about because the pilot made an error of judgement. There are numerous well designed and safe aircraft flying but the weak link is in the cockpit. Candidates trying for the Air Force or Airlines are screened very carefully. In recreational flying the only screening comes in the form of the aspiring pilot's bank balance being found acceptable. As such anyone can start flying regardless of that persons aptitude or attitude.

Time for some psychological testing as a part of the first medical of a student pilot? Time to take the size of the purse out of the equation as you report for your first lesson? No? THEN WAKE UP. Before we know it prospective pilots will be treated like prospective gun-owners.
Last edited by Asterix on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HansH
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby HansH » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:37 pm

Over the years how many aircraft have hit the water doing low flying over the sea or suffered an engine out when doing the same? I cannot recall one instance being reported but perhaps someone has statistics on hand proving otherwise.
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:43 pm

HansH - go read my edited post below. You are quoted.
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Interesting topic. This one involves an intentional deliberate action - I don't know if he thought he had sufficient speed to pull up in the event of the waves trying to grab him or to reach land in the event of any drama. I'm sure he should chat to the Ballito oke who might better advise him than on the forum

Then take Hans K's valid comments whereby a normally responsible pilot but out of touch oke would have a moment of brain fart and accidentally cook a take off or landing and you can't legislate against stupidity.

Then we refer to Bundy's initiative about mental preparation/ thought conditioning as a way to process our actions (I did post a response supporting Bundy's initiative but got lost in 'sending' so lost interest.)

Then we have Dawie recognising the many practical forms of advanced training which I whole heartedly agree with,

My comment about Peer training and hangar talk with high milers/ grey beards/ com pilots/ ex intructors/ ex airforce pilots/ 20 thousand hour crop sprayers and off season fire fighting bombers attracted sarcasm but these scenarios and flying with experienced Devils and Big G's presents unique and invaluable insights to what we think are insignificant or had no clue about.

There has to be a reason why glider pilots seldom screw up and that is because old toppies pass on skills for the love of the sport and have not been legislated out of the system. Long may it be before some bearocrat interferes with that one.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:17 pm

(^^)
... and flying with experienced Devils and Big G's presents unique and invaluable insights to what we think are insignificant or had no clue about.
Let's just keep the topic civil without mud throwing....
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Agreed Tumbie. ( Are the hangars at FASC still standing after Monday night's storms there over the Highveld? BIG damage at Beginsel...)

I read your "grey-beard" post, and the remarks. (But this is MY thread... :lol: :lol: )

We will all agree that there are ML pilots with 4000, and 6000 hours. Still alive, despite their adventures. I respect that. (Although I think LUCK also played a role.. :wink: )

The game is changing though - this is not the 90's. We now have freedom of info - we share everything!! We also have one of the biggest crops of new pilots in years - despite the fuel price.

I grow concerned when situations that were not thought of as reckless and illegal in earlier years in a VERY small and privileged community are now portrayed as "nothing", or "normal".

I grow concerned when I know that the whole host of newbies who are looking for leadership and inspiration, watch "cowboys" and instill within themselves the former's behavior as normal. The sad thing is that the experienced ones with the bad examples survive, and the trusting newbies die. I had my licence for two weeks, and nearly died - REALLY almost died overhead Bela-Bela, because I trusted my fellow trikers - experienced pilots - but they somehow forgot that I had a total of 20 hours solo..and not an Uber Sturm Luftwaffe triker.

I grow VERY concerned when experienced pilots chastice me for suggesting that it is dangerous to fly out at sea with 2 meters between your backwheels and the surf. VERY concerned - because it is now seen as NORMAL - mere "fun", and anybody pointing out that it is dangerous is seen as, in Grumpy's words: "THE man." Diabolical. (The Devil - translated.)

I wash my hands. If THIS is the new normal - I do not want anything to do with it. But I will call out those who express their condolences with the family of the next victim of an accident brought about by their own encouragement of reckless flying. ##
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Splinter wrote:This site is going in the same direction as Avcom at a rate of knots! It really sucks. Me this, you that, he did that!

This is second hand info that originated from a non-pilot that was excited about the microlight, let it go and just fly! You don't know if he was really that low or if it just seemed low, there could have been an angle if he was on a balcony.
(^^) (^^) (^^) ## ## ##
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:42 pm

demon wrote:Eish I guess I am lucky I am still alive (-)
Maybe. Or maybe it is skill. But all have not been so lucky / skilled over the years, have they? Lets just get back to the original post in my thread: Simple answer, Demon, Yes or No"

Do you condone the behavior of the pilot in question?

Yes?

No?
Last edited by Asterix on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.