Matters of general interest
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Engen se boude!

Postby DarkHelmet » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:41 pm

Sigh...

The short...

Mate of mine borrowed my bakkie to go to Moz for some diving and I have his Audi A3 2.0TDi as a replacement. Lovely car if you don't fill it with LRP! He is back tomorrow and his car is at Audi Fourways!

The long...

Big D has arranged for our ex instructor to come AP our Aeries at Aviators Paradise. I said to FF that she and her Skygod can fly AXC when they are there on Tuesday. I filled in the logbook on Sunday. I had a minor propstrike and forgot to mention this to FF. I needed to have it looked at, no vibration, nothing serious but since it was the first "real" damage to my warp-drive I was uncertain.

FF phoned me in a flurry and said they were driving up to JHB to come check out our valley. Yeah babe, kids screaming in the background in the car, my phone beeping with inbound calls - I totally forgot about the prop!

I keep an electronic log too and while updating it I read the entry about the strike. Needless to say. FF and her Skygod probably saved my life or at least saved me from an engine out!

During pre-flight FF found a hole/tear in the carb rubber between the engine and carb on my 582!

I shudder at the thought of what could have happened! I have always thought that I do a thorough pre- and post-flight inspection, as I was trained but it is blatant I am not thorough enough!

So here I sit, the whole week, anxious to go fly but concerned about the prop and even more concerned about my holy carb joint. Knowing that Big D has arranged for his AP I immediately jump on the bandwagon and arrange for my aerie to be inspected too. Knowing that I will not fly and having to be at a client in Pretoria at 10am I opt to leave club duvet at 7am to meet Big D and our AP at 08:30.

My 10am appointment was the installation of a new server, the bugger did not want to work and kept me up until 3am. Staring at the alarm at 06:30 I could only curse, but got up and did the whole SSS thing.

The Audi was flashing red, MIN SOUS, MIN SOUS!

It is one of them lowered jobs so I did not stop at the Shell where I normally race in with the bakkie when late because there is a nasty speedbump in the entrance. I opted for the next garage down Hans Strijdom. The ENGEN.

I pulled in and told the attendant - 200 bucks chief... Really needing a perk me up - I ran in and queued to pay for a Red Bull - eyeing the sarmies - they were vile! So thinking I am late I ran out and popped the garage card into the attendant's hand. Signed it upside down and drove off. I love this Audi!

About 3kms out and all of a sudden this beast just decides to go nose down - BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no power!

The taxi behind me nearly had me as a hood ornament - if he had a hood...

Car picks up power again and as I coast for the robot she dies, JUST LIKE that! Blimey! Churn, churn, churn... no go!

Audi Assist... Dial 110 on the cell. Blah blah blah... They are sending a truck.

Next moment phone rings, Big D - he is behind me and he just filled up there as well. Maybe there was water in the diesel I say. We will soon find out when his Golf dies right behind me!

I put juice at 07:15 - I waited until 09:45 for the towtruck! Blimey, in the meanwhile my aerie is unflyable and I cannot be there to see the damage!

Walking in to Audi Centre in Fourways rather upset and totally uncalm by now I almost scream at the Bulgarian on duty. Before I get to finish my vent he calmy says: "They put petrol in your car..."

Poof - the wind is out of my sail and I feel like the real right idiot!

F%^ ek is pissed off!
Last edited by DarkHelmet on Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:26 pm

I have phoned Engen and they say it's the biggest load of bull.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
parafanaylya
Signed up at flight school

Postby parafanaylya » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:29 am

Maybe they should do a thing like green ring around the (smaller) filler for unleaded, red ring around the filler for LRP, and black/yellow chevron for diesels -

But the RS4 is the one!

and BTW, how's the prop and rubber?
Stirred, not shaken

http://joburgonline.com - 148 aviation products and growing
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:42 am

This has happened to me before in Chritiana. We were going away for a long weekend with the Landy Disco V8 and a caravan. I stopped to fill up and when the attendent gave me the keys back he asked me whether this was a diesel. When I said no he went into a panic. He had filled it with diesel. Fortunately I did not start it, I believe this would have damaged the fuel injection system. I didn't even move the car they had to call a mechanic out to drain and flush the system.
Greg Perkins
V
Whats the right frequency?

Postby V » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:14 am

I do strictly self service at the garage. Just like a pre-flight.

I open the tank cap, select the pump, chase away the attendant, fill the tank and hand the nozzle back. All the attendant is allowed to do is to switch on the pump, stand around and receive payment plus his baksish. While he's sorting out the payment and brings me the proof of the transaction, I quickly duck to check typre pressures and clean the windscreen.

The tanks of my car are located under the seats (one on either side). It's a lot of fun watching the attendants running around the car looking for the diesel filler cap, while I comfortably get out and start taking out the seats :) Best is when I fill up both tanks :lol:
V

Postby V » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:50 am

My cousin in Hungary had his Renault's hydraulic system filled up with wind-screen washing liquid at an outlet of a reputable oil company. He eventually managed to be enough of a pain and got his expenses refunded. Took him almost a year of hard work and a phone/fax bill almost equal to his repair bill ...

.. I rather do everthing DIY on my car. In case the work goes beyond my abilities, I take it to a trustworthy person and hoover around watching what's being done, also getting my hands dirty and learning so that I can do it myself in case I need to do it in the veld. ':-
Tower
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Tower » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:09 pm

HA HA, happened to me too, but you know what they say about Petrol in your Diesel Tank..........

It is a bit like Arc Eyes (Or VD for the more adventurous! :shock: )

YOU ONLY EVER GET IT ONCE! :D
alice559
Slow starter

Re: Engen se boude!

Postby alice559 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:41 pm

A diesel mechanics are able to focus and diagnose faults with a diesel engine. A nice option is to hire a good diesel mechanic is finding him online.
diesel mechanic
Triker
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Triker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:55 pm

I also nearly had the same situation with my diesel Renault. Lucky me I when realized this oak was not reading any nozzle caps sizes or DIESEL stickers, and after about 2 litres of petrol in a very empty tank, I jumped at him almost giving him a klap. Even after telling the guy: DIESEL R100

So that day I got a full/half tank of diesel for free (I paid half,shame poor petrol jockey would have paid that bill off over 10 years).

Lesson: Klim uit jou kar en check!!
I was very lucky that day and no issues during the mileage of that tank diesel/petrol.
If it happens and the jockey did not put in much liters of petrol, just dilute with full tank of diesel (advise given by mechanic)
ZS-NEL
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby ZS-NEL » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:18 pm

Garage owners have insurance against this and they carry the responsibility. Happened to my son also and they paid for the tow -in and repairs to his car which was a huge amount. :wink:
Triker
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Triker » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:09 am

I agree what ZS-NEL says

That Bulls :shock: t notice on the pumps stating that its your responsibility to check that the correct fuel is put into your car (after telling the jockey, and a sticker on your filler cap and cap size) just pees me off.

I agree that you cant just sit back and hope the correct fuel is put in. But the jockey that was supposedly trained is the one responsible for doing the correct job correctly.
Or his boss. I doubt some garage owners even properly train their staff to save time/money. And when the pawpaw hits the fan then all of a sudden: "No its your responsibility". I mean, who takes responsibility of my department at work?? The poor tea girl that knows nothing of IT?
No.
Bugwar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Bugwar » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:47 am

Got petrol in my diesel Polo twice. Shell and Engen both carried the cost. I contacted head office and did not bother with the owner/manager. All they needed was my slip.