Best Pictures

Matters of general interest
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Show us your best pictures

Postby Rudix » Tue May 18, 2010 4:49 pm

Beefmaster wrote:Hey Rudi, nice pics again! I assume you adjusted your temperature down to get the skies blue again?? What do you think made my photos so soft?? This is the first time I post on the web other than some mik and druks from long ago onto facebook. I shoot with a canon eos 450D with stock 70-300 lens, no ISM I'm afraid... The pics were nice and sharp until I posted them (**) What you shoot with?? I've been looking around for a new lens of better quality, am considering the 50-500 or 120-400 sigma, priced well compared to Canon... :shock:
Hi Beefmaster,

Thanks!

I shoot RAW so it is easy to adjust the color temp but in this case I did not do any adjustments. If your images are sharp before you downsize but not after it could be the way you downsize, I use a program called "BreezeBrowser", it works well and is fast, it can also do batches and produce HTML output for web page use. I do the RAW to JPG conversion with C1pro.

You should get good results with the 450D + 70-300. A L class lens with USM would be better giving you overall better results with more "keepers" but it is not a must. For airshows I normally use a 1DmkIV or 7D if I want to travel light for the flight shots along with a Canon 100-400 L IS. If I cannot get close to the flight line I sometimes use my Canon 600L f4 IS but it is bulky so I seldom do that. For static shots I normally use a 5Dmk2 or 1DSmk3 with the Canon 24-105 L IS lens.

The photos above where however taken with my "mik and druk" setup that I normally take with when I am flying into an airshow and I do not want to lug the normal stuff along. This is an old setup consisting of a Nikon D200 with a Nikon 18-200 VR lens. Not an ideal setup with a rather slow focusing and "soft", short lens on a body that is nowhere as good as the Canons BUT the light combo with only one lens works for me. I am thinking of replacing this with my 7D and a Canon 18-200 IS lens, I am sure it will give me better results as the 7D focus is superb and according to reviews the Canon 18-200 is the same or slightly better than the Nikon version.

The Sigma 50-500 is good, I used it for many years (airshows and motorsport) and I think the new OS version would be even better as a 500mm lens, hand-held without VR/IS/OS requires very good "long lens" techniques. I do not really know the Sigma 100-400. I also own the superb Sigma 120-300 f2.8 but find it a bit heavy for airshow work.

In the past I used a Nikon D3X with a 200-400 VR and it worked ok but I prefer the images the Canon sensors produce.

Hope to see you at an airshow/fly-in sometime!

Regards,
Rudi

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Beefmaster
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Beefmaster » Tue May 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Ja for sure! I see there's one at Rand this weekend or next?? Wont be able to make it anyway though... Geez, maar jyt genoeg glass om 'n stalletjie oop te maak! :shock:
ZU-DMB -> Worlds hottest Raptor 582
A powerline never hits an aircraft, except in self-defence.
Gavin Kukard
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue May 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Beefmaster wrote:Ja for sure! I see there's one at Rand this weekend or next?? Wont be able to make it anyway though... Geez, maar jyt genoeg glass om 'n stalletjie oop te maak! :shock:
Yes, this weekend, I am planning on flying in for the show.

Yes, I collected some equipment while I was shooting motorsport professionally vhpy

Below is a list of what I use, needs some updating....

http://rudix.servepics.com/equipment.htm
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Mon May 24, 2010 8:24 am

On Friday after being invited to go and Play Golf and then realising i cannot play as i had a pair of Jeans on (**) (**)
I decided to take the Money i would have WASTED there and decided to take up Porra's advice and go Hire and Fly at Circus Well it is only a cell phone pic but well i was Flying - Thankyou Jose and Russel Bird
Image330 (Large).jpg
In My Element
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Porra
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby Porra » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Tailspin wrote:On Friday after being invited to go and Play Golf and then realising i cannot play as i had a pair of Jeans on (**) (**)
I decided to take the Money i would have WASTED there and decided to take up Porra's advice and go Hire and Fly at Circus Well it is only a cell phone pic but well i was Flying - Thankyou Jose and Russel Bird
Image330 (Large).jpg
(^^) Hey there Gav!! Anytime bud, juse a call away ##
"Always remember.... You're unique..............just like everyone else...." ;-)
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:56 pm

A few photos also posted on the Shadow thread for those who do not go there :wink:

Shadow in it's element, playing with a fluffy cloud.

Parked at Zebula Lodge alongside some heavy metal.

Happy pilot and Shadow :)

Flying around a storm, the Shadow is very stable even in turbulent air.

Drops of rain on the canopy, the canopy remains clear even in quite heavy rain.

Visiting Loskop dam

And finally visiting the Vaal dam.

Fly safe!
Rudi
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:25 pm

Mooi fotos (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
Thom
Pre flight checks done

Postby Thom » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:19 am

surrounded by schoolchildren in Zambia.jpg
On our flight from Cape Town to The Netherlands we landed in a little village in Zambia. Within 2 minutes we were surrouded by hundreds of school children and other villagers.
To see more pic's go to our website http://www.microview.nl ( website in dutch and english)

Thom
Bennie Vorster
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Bennie Vorster » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Me and Riaan at Dundee ready for take off. Look at the prop, interesting.......

Owen and Erik at Sudwana....

Owen and Erik at Sudwana....
Growing old is far more dangerous than flying !!!
Bennie Vorster
083 277 5110
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Animal
Attachments
100_5646.jpg
100_5666.jpg
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Re:

Postby Maybe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:21 am

cobra wrote:
cobra wrote:ERMF fly-in to Crosswinds - 10 microlights and a bushbaby not forgetting 1 micro from Rustenburg - braaipan with gas-stove and all :lol: :lol: 8)
Evidence of the self-catering breakfast... :roll:
IMGP0930-3.JPG

Yes...that was me and my wife from Rustenburg with Windlass VNP.....that was a lekka breakfast. That almost seams like the GOOD OLD DAYS.....as we now have a baby boy and I need to do these trips from Rustenburg alone vhpy (Someone needs to look after him :lol: )
Can't wait for the little guy to get a little bigger to sit in the back of my trike and go along on the trips.

Here he is just before his first flight with me in the Raven.
Sebastian's first flight.JPG
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby pietmeyer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:44 am

Just 2 photos from last weekends flight in the Magalies area. Sunrise and smooth.
Attachments
Piet Meyer 133 (Medium).JPG
Piet Meyer 130 (Medium).JPG
Piet Meyer
Jabi J400 ZU-DUU (Wonderboom)
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:00 pm

Pics from Namaqualand. Kliprand-Pofadder road, straight as an arrow for around 50 miles!! Over dusty featureless terrain. :shock: And brandy-bush vinyards at Vredendal, and stunning sunsets at FALFTN.vhpy
Attachments
Klipr Pofadder.jpg
Klipr Pofadder.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Sunset.JPG
Sunset.JPG (47.23 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Brannewyn-bos.jpg
Brannewyn-bos.jpg (48.77 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:09 pm