A matter of safety ( Urgent )

Matters of general interest
Andre
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby Andre » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:49 am

Dave
Does it do anything to the cruising speed. I can live with less lift but love the speed
Andre
Working is for the birds
Airborn Edge 582
ZU-CND
Petrodactyl
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Petrodactyl » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:57 am

Andre wrote:
Does it do anything to the cruising speed. I can live with less lift but love the speed
only if you deploy it while flying :)
Christian Carver

Go Fly a Trike!

ZU-BBU
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:12 am

:lol: :lol:

Andre, Nope crusiing speed the same but I do have significant better lift since ballistic was taken off - I will fit it quickly again before I get too used to the increased lift, also I reckon in the new position under the engine it would suit the Airborne better, and my loss of lift might not be that bad

D
Big D
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:14 am

Morph wrote:Also remember to kill the motor first, or have a pull lever that automatically kills the motor (I wonder if this is legal?). The :
The Air Creation's fitted with chutes by factory have an automatic kill switch.

Just check tho, some manus only approve one type of chute.

I have also read of some deployments of NORMAL chutes from planes. One wear he was not allowed to fit a BRS etc and then fitted a large normal chute. It was deployed from under 1000ft and 4 people's lives were saved.

I read that on some other forum where the argument was that a normal chute needed LOADS of height. Perhaps the exception but it worked.

Another comment I've heard people say, those with chutes - is I don't even think the chute will deploy - ie needs a service.
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:57 pm

Hi Folk.

Please, if you are going to fit a Ballistic, then position the deployment handle where both the Pilot and Pax can get to it easily....

In the accident of the late Craig and Julian, Craig(front seat)was knocked unconcious by the base bar, and Julian was alive and screaming all the way down. If they had a parachute, and the handle was accesible to Julian(who was back seat), they would both have stood a mighty good chance of surviving that accident.

And don't worry about the angle of the trike when you are descending... even if you are nose down, you will survive :lol:

I know of a deployment in Australia, in which the parachute failed to open...... it still saved the life of the pilot. He was tugging a tandem hang glider, and just after release, the hang glider folk saw the tugs wing collapse, and the subsequent release of the parachute and failed opening... the spiralling parachute snared itself in the blue gum trees that the wreck plunged into, and stopped the tug 1m AGL.. the pilot stepped out onto terra firma, a little shaken, but graciously alive .... How's zat.... if it's not your time, it's not your time... :lol:

It is quite a lump investment, and I sure hope we don't all go an a paranoid frenzy here.........

I still believe that a well maintained trike(with a proven track record), flown responsibly and in reasonable weather conditions, should not ever require a parachute..... and if it does, and it's me, then I should just be able to meet my maker with a 'shrug'.... not a nice thought, but hey, I drive a motorcycle on SA's roads, I drive cars on SA's roads, and I LIVE in SA, with the highest Murder rate per capita world wide..... So hey, If I can choose, then going out in a micro accident is most definately a way I would choose. Especially if I am falling from 1000 feet... Gives me time to make my amends with my creator, unlike instant death in a 'head-on-collision' in a car or on my bike....

....But, if I had the spare cash, I WOULD fit a parachute.

I just don't want the folk out there who are just managing to afford the craft and their flying, to start being paranoid about not fitting a chute.

Hundreds of thousands of hours have been flown worldwide without parachutes.......... yes, hundreds of thousands!!
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:21 am

Does anyone have any experience with a ballistic chute on a Gyro?

Its an insurance policy I would like to have and to my way of thinking, if it was attached to the nose/front wheel, fired out sideways (parallel to the rotorplane) and let the machine down backwards, (i.e. tail - engine first), chances of survival would be best even if the rotor were still attached and turning.

I feel if you are forced to pop the chute then damage to the machine is secodary to survival.

Any thoughts from the Gurus would be welcome!
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:20 pm

Hey JR

You need an ejection seat that shoots out sideways....

Imagine going through the rotor? :shock:
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Abe
First solo

Postby Abe » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:25 am

Hi JetRanger!
The Americans are paranoid about safety and have worked out a method to fit BRS on gyros. As I understood from the RAF guys at EAA Wonderboom some years back, they shoot the chute sideways with a cable routed through a glider release at the tail. Close to ground one is supposed to release the catch and the cable will go through blade arc, wind up a few turns if it is still turning, but bring gyro down level.
I must say your proposal to tie chute cable to the nose and land tailfirst seems better.
FlySafe!
Abe.
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:40 pm

I said Guru's not Stirrers John :lol: :lol:

Giant salami-slicer?
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

A matter of safety (Urgent)

Postby John Young » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:40 am

Leprachaun wrote:Well we have come to a finding , the wing strut broke on impact as the break was forward with lots of compression , so the mystery deepens and we have a few other causes ?? why was the control bar broken , and why did the control bar break with such a force that it bent the profile tube and left scars on it ...
Well were getting there and will keep you all posted .
A sample of the leading edge material was taken for analysis as it seems suspect - .
Leprachan
Hi Alex,

Since your post in March 2008, there have been 2 more mid-air break-ups (New Zealand & Cyprus).

That makes it 6 in total. :( :shock:

Any news on your findings yet?

Regards
John ZU-sEXY
Was a sEXY trike. Now registered as N457YJ
Old, Fat and Hairy
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re:

Postby Old, Fat and Hairy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:35 am

Massimo wrote:Personally anyone who raggs someomone about fitting a chute is himself the biggest MORON! When you up there and wish you had one then we will see who is praying :evil:
Is name calling appropriate?

Would the BRS have been necessary if the decision to fly in marginal conditions had not been made? Perhaps good decision making skills and a grasp of the basics are more important than all-singing-all-dancing gizmos to rescue folks who get it wrong. Fitting a BRS is a personal choice and up to the individual. For myself, I see no need for it in the aircraft I currently have under construction. I prefer to rely on my chickenshirt attitude to plan accordingly to avoid problems in the first place.
Please guys think clearly here.
That would be nice. Unfortunately the human condition precludes that option most of the time. One of the reasons CRM was introduced.
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: A matter of safety ( Urgent )

Postby Leprachaun » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:52 am

Hi Folks , unfortunately I dont have much news on` the subject as yet - all I know is that CAA have apointed a different accident investigator -
Presently I am not mobile as I had an incident in which I broke an upper leg -femur which limits my movement , but asap asI am mobile I will follow up Regards Alex
A pilot lives by perfection , or not at all!
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:21 am

Ouch - get well soon.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:40 am

Eina Leprachaun, that sounds quite painfull! :( Sorry to hear about it.
Broke a leg in a boating accident years back and man was it painfull! My sincere empathies.
Was the accident aviation related?
If so, tell us a little more?
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi sorry to bring this up again but any news?

It's been about 4 years now but I can appreciate that these investigations can take some time?
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/